1SS First Day Scenario Pack

My next series of linked scenarios is now uploaded at the Proving Grounds. All comments welcome.

These five scenarios cover the experience of the 1SS division on the first day of the Kursk offensive. For most of them their opponents are from the 52nd Guards Rifle division and its attached units. In the last, they are through the 52nd and hit the 51st behind it.

Here is an overview.

1SS Campaign - Overall Briefing

On July 5 the battle of Kursk began, with simultaneous attacks against the north and south face of the Kursk salient. In the south, three sectors were hit, by 48 Panzer corps on the left, by 2 SS corps in the middle, and by AD Kempf on the right. The spearhead of the central drive was the 1st SS division, LAH. This campaign shows the fighting that division experienced in just the first day of the overall battle.

Begining a little past 1 AM, 1SS first conducted a reconnaissance in force to drive in Russian outposts and reach their main positions. This night fighting is shown in the first scenario, 1SSat0115.

At dawn, already somewhat behind schedule, 1SS began its main attack northward along the main road, leading toward the town of Bykovka. It struck prepared positions of the 52nd Guards Rifle division. Attacking from line of march right along the road, they pushed through the front line positions in a few hours. This fighting is shown in 1SSInitialAssault.

After clearing the first Russian infantry positions, the Germans next ran into their heavier supports, positioned to block the road. The Russians supported the Guards infantry with the 538 antitank regiment. 1SS fought through their positions and destroyed them by midmorning, clearing the road to Bykovka. This fighting is shown in 1SSBreakthrough.

Motoring up the road to Bykovka, 1SS attacked the village off the line of march. It detailed one of its Panzergrenadier regiments to reduce the town, which was heavily defended. The fight for the town is shown in 1SSatBykovka. It was not secured until after 4 PM.

Even before Bykovka fell, the main body of the Panzer regiment and their supporting panzergrenadiers pushed farther north, trying to win a crossing over the Psel river before nightfall. At a crossroads south of the town of Jakowlewo, however, they ran into an entirely fresh set of Russian defenders. The resulting fight at dusk is shown in 1SSatJakowlewo.

This thrust thoroughly penetrated the defenses of the 52nd Guards Rifle division, largely eliminating it as an effective force. It also cost 1SS over 600 casualties. This is the amount of fighting one unit experienced in a single day of the battle of Kursk.

[ April 08, 2006, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: JasonC ]

Jason

Can't seem to get the Proving Grounds site to open correctly on my computer so I'm not able to post my comments on your 1st SS at Jakowlewa.

From the get go I placed the Tiger to lead from the right flank in front of the MK III's and gave it a 30 sec. head start to lead the advance whereby it quickly nailed a T34 and took hits from AT guns from various sites. As reinforcements arrrived I advanced those gingerly to support the advance of the Tiger and by turn 8 took out a total of 6 guns and 2 tanks while losing a MK III and 3 lt armored cars and halftracks. Will give more details after I finsi the scenario.

This is an excellent Kursk scenario. Very good brief to set up the situation without giving away the mystery. Looks to be very fair in the force mix for both sides. Great map and a daunting one at that for the Germans to conquer. It's impossible to guess where the AT guns are althogh you do have a good idea you're not going to waste your precious HE rounds shooting blindly.

I would recommend this for HTH play and against the Red AI.

Very good work Jason.

Originally posted by JasonC:

Shmavis - thanks for the report at TPG. I've replied to your posts over there, in the discussions section under 1SS Initial Assault. I agree to your suggestion about a more covered entry area and will look to changing that for a 1.01 version. As for the other suggestions, read my reply.

Jason, I just checked the scenario discussion section for your reply, but I don't see anything there. Did you delete it by mistake or something? I'll check again.

Shmavis - I hit submit but it isn't there. Donno why.

Remember, you've got to submit twice - the first time that you hit the submit button, it's the "preview" of your post. The 2nd time it actually does the post.

I think I'll be starting this up with Stoffel - at least I responded to a request from him about starting a playtest on the first scenario of the pack.

Many thanks to those giving me feedback on these over at TPG. I've tweak starts, scenario lengths, and scenario VP stuff for several as a result.

So far still no reports about the town fight in the pack, 1SS at Bykovka...

I'll see if I can find an opponent for it, and keep you posted.

Originally posted by lucero1148:

Can someone email me the scenario pack on the 1st SS please. For some reason when I go to the Proving Grounds the section of the page with all the info is shifted all the way to the right edge of the screen and it's impossible for me to click on to anythng. No problem for me on the Scenario depot just TPG.

Thanks!

Lucero,

Are you using a Mac? The TPG site, for some reason, doesn't work well with Safari. Try using Firefox - it works well.

Originally posted by lucero1148:

At least it works well with the Scenario Depot.

Yup, I got smart when it came time to making TSDII and didn't use the same CSS navigation menu. I'll eventually get TPG up to par so that it will run in Safari. It *should* be ok in all other browsers though.

Finished the first couple of the series, aasume you want individual posts about them on TPG.

I have noticed a kind of theme developing with your scenarios - small linked battles. I have been researching an idea along similar lines and wondered if it might appeal. The idea is a series of small linked scenarios but rather than following the course of an operation, it is to follow a unit through the war. It would show the changing seasons, new equipment introduced, enemy advances and you could set it up to follow a couple of individual commanders. My idea was to follow 19th Pz Div because they spent their whole career on the Eastern Front and have bog standard equipment like Marders. They have a number of interesting encounters, fought at the gates of Moscow in 1941, at Orel in 1942, as part of III Pz Corps at Kursk, get over-run and the divisional commander killed in 43, recce bn shoot up red parachutists at Bukrin Bridgehead, hold open the escape route for the Korsun pocket, fought in Poland in 44 and end up in Bohemia in 45. At one point they radio Corps HQ and say "we are out of fuel and the Russians are attacking. Send help." Then silence. But they survived.

6 to 8 scenarios covering 3 to 4 years of war should be enough to give a flavour. How about one of the Mech Corps for the Soviets as they were always in the thick of the fighting and so have interesting histories.

cheers

Originally posted by Der Alte Fritz:

Finished the first couple of the series, aasume you want individual posts about them on TPG.

I have noticed a kind of theme developing with your scenarios - small linked battles. I have been researching an idea along similar lines and wondered if it might appeal. The idea is a series of small linked scenarios but rather than following the course of an operation, it is to follow a unit through the war. It would show the changing seasons, new equipment introduced, enemy advances and you could set it up to follow a couple of individual commanders. My idea was to follow 19th Pz Div because they spent their whole career on the Eastern Front and have bog standard equipment like Marders. They have a number of interesting encounters, fought at the gates of Moscow in 1941, at Orel in 1942, as part of III Pz Corps at Kursk, get over-run and the divisional commander killed in 43, recce bn shoot up red parachutists at Bukrin Bridgehead, hold open the escape route for the Korsun pocket, fought in Poland in 44 and end up in Bohemia in 45. At one point they radio Corps HQ and say "we are out of fuel and the Russians are attacking. Send help." Then silence. But they survived.

6 to 8 scenarios covering 3 to 4 years of war should be enough to give a flavour. How about one of the Mech Corps for the Soviets as they were always in the thick of the fighting and so have interesting histories.

cheers

I have done that very thing with my 3rd Armored Division series. It was so well recieved that I have some other divisions now in the process of being done that way.

I think you'll like the results of a scenario campaign.