Name of church on the southern outskirts of Belgorod?

Hi

Could anyone help please? I'm trying to find the name of the large church/cathedral on the southern outkirts of Belgorod. So far my search through the web has given some images of it but no name. Anyone know what the name is?

I'd be most grateful if you could let me know. It's for a scenario covering Peiper's race for Belgorod during the winter fighting of early 1943.

Cheers fur noo

George

ps there is also a picture of it on page 345 in Nipe's book Last Victory in Russia.

George, I found this information, but the location towards the city is wrong, so it is probably not what you are looking for.

'By the end of the 19th century, Belgorod had 16 churches, 2 cathedrals, 2 monasteries, and 12 educational institutions. Twenty-six factories supplied their products to both the local population and other cities. The Kursk-Kharkov railway line passed through the city in 1869, which further strengthened ties between Belgorod and Ukraine. At this time, high-quality chalk was being quarried near the city, part of which was burned to obtain lime and part ground and sent to Moscow and Kharkov. There was also trading in cattle, grain, tallow, leather, wax, and manufactured articles. Beekeeping (along with beeswax factories), melon growing, and market gardening were well developed. Belgorod itself was famous for its many orchards.

The names of the princes F.I. and F.F. Volkonsky (the remains of the ancestral estate have been preserved) and hero of the Russo-Turkish and other wars M.T. Drenyakin are connected with this city.

During the Second World War, fierce battles raged in Belgorod from June through August 1943 against the German invaders (during the battle of Kursk in 1943). The city was liberated on August 5, 1943, and along with the city of Orel, became known as the "city of the first salute."

One of the features of Belgorod's architecture is the harmonious coexistence of its religious and secular buildings. A fragment of the two-story Deanery is all that remains of the huge complex of the Nikolaevsky Monastery. In 1701, the foundations of Uspensko-Nikolaevsky Cathedral (1709) and Pokrovskaya Church (1711) were laid west of the monastery while Peter the Great was visiting Belgorod. The buildings were similar in style to the so-called "St. Petersburg baroque"; part of the cathedral has been preserved. The monumental Smolensky Cathedral with a massive bell tower on the two-tiered refectory (built in 1725; restored) was built on the east side of the city center near a former market square. Northeast of it stands a Polish-Lithuanian Catholic church (begun in the 19th century; rebuilt), and northwest of it is Spasko-Preobrazhensky Cathedral (1820) located on a hillside. The remains of secular buildings of the 19th and early 20th centuries that have been preserved in the city center include two former gymnasia for men and women, the former Veinbaum hotel and store, and a three-story women's gymnasium (1904).'

Originally posted by Aragorn2002:

This is where I found it: http://www.kommersant.com/tree.asp?rubric=5&node=380&doc_id=-37

Hi Aragorn! How you doin? Cheers for the link. I'd found that one during research for this action my top favourite was the Sparsho - Preobrazhensky cathedral, as the map I'm using seems to have some churchy type building sitting on a hill. But then there also appears to be no other church buldings nearby. Given the photos I have, the map and the above info I'm wondering whether just to go with that in the short term, unless anyone who happens to have been over there can tell me differant. then again might just keep it nameless, but it does appear to have been a significant landmark. Thanks again for taking the time to post the info smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George

Originally posted by Hans:

I've ask the question of some of my Russian associates. Seems it not a popular place to live!

They are looking into it

Hi Hans

Many thanks for doing that - fingers crossed something comes of it. Any ideas why it's not popular to live? From the net there is a lack of info about the city compared to say Kiev or Kharkov? Nothing to do with dodgy guys in black leather jackets is it? Like the ones I saw in Moscow back in 1993!!

Cheers fur noo

George

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...