Advanced Squard Leader Conversions

I have been trying to get some pictures of the SL and ASL maps to make some CM scenarios based on SL and ASL scenarios. I've dl'd that ASL program, but thus far I haven't been able to get the maps to display. I hate that java program. It doesn't really install, but rather it sort of runs in the background. So all these subfolders the instructions refer to don't even show up. I guess I just don't understand the program.

Originally posted by dfgardner1:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jim1954:

I have some number of them. I'll try to gather them up tonight and send them to you. Do you have any incoming limit restrictions?

Well thank you very much. I don't think I have a limit, or if I do, got me on how much it is. ;) </font>

Yay, I got the VASL program running, so I will start designing my first SL scenario for CM. The first step will be recreating the map, I am going to start with map SL-1. I'm going to start by gridding it with 20m squares, and then trying to recreate the terrain features. Obviously it won't be exact as the terrain in SL conforms to hexes, and it has to be reconfigured for 20m squares. When I am done I will post somewhere, and provide a link. I sort of think I will have to add the scenario also, as the LOSs really will need to be tweaked.

Originally posted by civdiv:

Yay, I got the VASL program running, so I will start designing my first SL scenario for CM. The first step will be recreating the map, I am going to start with map SL-1. I'm going to start by gridding it with 20m squares, and then trying to recreate the terrain features. Obviously it won't be exact as the terrain in SL conforms to hexes, and it has to be reconfigured for 20m squares. When I am done I will post somewhere, and provide a link. I sort of think I will have to add the scenario also, as the LOSs really will need to be tweaked.

Heh, I think you're a few years too late, ASL conversions have been done to death. A lot of really crappy ones, and many refuse to play them on principle.

Although, dalem and I did play an enjoyable PBEM of Breakout From Borisov.

I think the generally voiced concerns (not that I necessarily agreed with them) were that the SL boards were so wide open, with 40 metres in between buildings on a main thoroughfare, for example, when real life towns were laid out much closer (and CM can have them 20 metres apart or even closer depending on the layout in the editor). John Hill did this on purpose as it made the effects he wanted fit into the game system. In CM, however, the effects are very different so the abstracted mapboards of SL don't work at all.

Still, there is some nostalgia value to it. I've done some SL conversions myself - there was a website called ASL2CM but it was shut down for legal reasons.

An old poster named ASLVeteran also had a whole set of guidelines for converting scenarios, including how many turns, how to do the boards, etc.

The billiard table flat maps were another problem for many players.

I've also seen PanzerBlitz scenarios converted for CMBB, only played one (and never owned PB until recently so had no nostalgia for it) and it was a not too bad little scenario.

I'll go you one better - I did it in reverse. I took the Italian demo scenario from CMAK and did it as a VASL board complete with scenario card. smile.gif

[ January 25, 2006, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Mike,

I think I will start going towards the Tractor Works style scenario. Small map, urban terrain. I mean really heavily build up stuff. It will be very small, so it should be pretty easy to design. While I am certainly not a CM grognard, I have yet to see a very conjested urban map yet. Maybe someone can recommend one to me. But I want to see how CM does at pure urban combat.

I realize they've been done to death, but noone can point me at more than a handful. And as you said, they've been done poorly.

Converting ASL scenarios to CM, aforementioned article by ASL Veteran.

Agree with Dorosh, scenarios don't convert very well from ASL to CM for the most part. I played a version of "Paw of the Tiger" that was pretty good though.

It's funny that people always come back to wanting "computer ASL" after all these years. Unfortunately, CM isn't ASL, and ASL isn't CM. You've got VASL installed, try playing it with others online, you'll have a great time. Note, VASL is for ASL, if it's classic SL that you're wanting to play, you need the VSQL module for VASSAL (VASL is a module for VASSAL - gets confusing but after you figure it all out it's really very simple).

Originally posted by GJK:

Converting ASL scenarios to CM, aforementioned article by ASL Veteran.

Agree with Dorosh, scenarios don't convert very well from ASL to CM for the most part. I played a version of "Paw of the Tiger" that was pretty good though.

It's funny that people always come back to wanting "computer ASL" after all these years. Unfortunately, CM isn't ASL, and ASL isn't CM. You've got VASL installed, try playing it with others online, you'll have a great time. Note, VASL is for ASL, if it's classic SL that you're wanting to play, you need the VSQL module for VASSAL (VASL is a module for VASSAL - gets confusing but after you figure it all out it's really very simple).

Well I think it has to do with the vast amount of 'stuff' in the ASL rulebook. For me, trying to remember which rule/diceroll is applicable when is the issue. I guess I think 'just let the computer handle that'; which may or may not be realistic.

Also, it seems whenever someone posts a picture of one of the various ASL tourney's, the folks in the picture are inevitably referring to the ASL rulebook rather than enjoying the game. ;)

However, it just may be that part of the joy that comes from ASL is finding that rule that:

1. renders you opponents brilliant move illegal.

2. makes your questionable move/strategy legal.

3. shows your superiority in remembering obsure rules rather than any 'tactical'/game playing acumen you actually have. :D

The nice thing about VASL - when you play live online you've almost always have an audience of avid ASL'ers (unless you lock the room) so it's just a matter of asking the crowd "can I do x, y or z?" - and I've found them to be very helpful to both newbies and vets to the game. That and eASLRB's have made looking things up much easier. smile.gif