British Research / The case of Turkey

StefMan

I have just recently started a panzerliga account and would like to post some questions that came up during my first multiplayer games:

1. What would be the most necessary research objects for GB?

I have considered buying a couple of tech chits for industrial and jet technology. IT seems to be important since GB will not make al lot of mpps during the game, Jet technology to stand a chance against german airfleets. On the other hand I am wondering if maybe it would make sense to neglect research for the british and invest in units instead. The US und the SU start with some mpps and tech chits to begin with and can afford more research investments. Is there a common strategy in that matter?

2. I have wondered if it makes sense to DOW turkey as an axis or allied player.

The benefits should be obvious - access to the Black Sea (axis) / irak, med, balkan (allies). But taking Turkey with limited ressources can be a real pain in the a** due to the terrain. Plus if you don't manage to cut of the turkish cities from mainland russia the allied player will most likely send reinforcements and prevent you from taking turkey. Therefore it seems quite risky to me. Any hints regarding sufficient / necessary conditions and important tactics?

Thanks in advance

1. GB doesnt need Industrial tech (few units...so you will never get a decent ROI, return of investment). Jets and Long Range are the way to go.

2. Turkey is a good target for Russia, to attack the MED and to earn more MMPs, but this is only possible in games with high bid (>4000 extra MMPs for Russia) and when german troops are advancing slow or fightin heavily in the West trying to take UK out of the war.

With the UK I put first one chit in jet because UK may not make much but you need personally the best chance of getting the best planes so germany cant stop your attacks on corps so the planescan get alot of experience. Then soon I put a chit in IT so they can cut back on costs. Also its good for UK to get ireland early and when USA enters to take Iraq. Also long range is good for those planes and for your carriers (superweapons)

When it comes to turkey ive come to the conclusion to leave it alone. By the time your allies get in to declare war on turkey will have russia in soon so a set up on border not the best. You will need massive landing i think near captial. I rather attack spain since it only gets USA in and they wont be on the shore for a while and in that time prepare a devastating Barbarossa. Only time to take turkey is with you winning and russia has surrendered. This is all my personal thoughts which may not be correct.

Ok, thanks for the advice. So 3 to 4 tech chits for UK should be enough, right (due to the limited number of units GB will put on the map)? And I guess turkey really should be touched if the war isn't already decided.

Maybe I can come up with a decent strategy for turkey sometimes later.

Another question regarding Irak this time:

It certainly is easily enough to take with a couple of units but it's an awfully long way from the english coast to Bagdad. And usually Alexandria / Suez both fall a couple of turns after the end of Vichy France. Taking Irak seems to me like sending the attacking units into a death trap for only a few rounds of increased mpps. I can't really see the benefits of that strategy.

I think you should invest a little bit more as the Allies depends of your research sucess.

Main weapons of GB are the carriers and AF. You should get as soon as possible at least Jet tech level 3 and as much longrange as possible.

If you are inferior in JT it will be very hard to train your carriers and launch a succeful D-Day.

Regarding Iraq. If you can hold it as Allies until rusia enters the war "Hurray" . establish a direct connection with Rsusia (declare wa´r on Iraq and sent as many units as you need from Rusia.

Unfortunatly a good axis player will always take the Med before Rusia enters the war....

Now the exception: If you allow attacks on mayor nations then a early declaration of war on Iraq can be useful. Catch the oil fields. The defender of Iraq can´t walk out of its city. Launch a "first strike" on Italy and take out the italian fleet, take Tobruk... Sit and pray that the english fleet is bakc in England when Germany finishes with france and lauchens maybe a Sealion.

Regarding Turkey: Between veterans with high bids lately Rusia mostly attacks Turkey to get access to Iraq.