SC Community is dying

Dragonheart

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping he gets reinstated and if so, that he forgets that Locked Thread nonsense. It gets taken the wrong way.

All of us are at fault for that "Locked Threads" thread, we all took part in that conversation so we are all for the most part, just as guilty as Kuni for that.

Comrade Trapp

I'd hope not.

At that point it would become truly Orwellian

Orwell was a visionary and one of the greatest writers of the last century but I have a bone of contention against him: he once commented in his writings that my hometown is the ugliest city in the Old World! The cheek of the man! smile.gif

He is probably right though... :D

Comrade

I wasn't talking about that Thread specifically, in that regard I'm at least as guily as Kuni. By adding to it, hoping to turn it into a joke, which is what happened, it pretty much became meaningless. In fact, in the end it was okay as it demonstrated stupid lockups as opposed to the unavoidable kind. The Thread was locked as a knee jerk reaction after that last spamming episode.

What I meant was some of the other remarks that seemed to encourage more spamming. I know Kuni didn't mean it that way, and you know he didn't mean it that way, but those postings would have been better left unwritten. That's the sort of thing I hope he avoids if and when he gets reinstated. Why push a point of contention, especially when it's completly unnecessary?

CC

That's the Spirit! If that town were in America -- which of course, by it's very distinction it couldn't be, but if it were...-- there'd be giant billboards going out in every direction advising Tourists to come and visit! smile.gif

There are places like that a'plenty here. If you're ever in the neighborhood, I mean the continental U. S. A. in general, and have a year or so to spend crossing it's Interstates you'll be amazed by these crazy places, Birth Place of ... so-in-so!, Death Place of So-in-So!, World's Most Beautiful Sunrise, World's Most Beautiful Sunset, etc & etc... and it isn't anything new. There's a 100+ year old photo of Frank James standing outside a ranch house with a sign on the gate, $2 Admission, See Where Jesse James [his late brother!] Was Murdered In Cold Blood! No Polaroids.

It seemed as if the Locked Thread started by Kuniworth and contributed to by several posters, along with the "Kuniworth to meet Sven Hassel" and "SC Forum Members to Go to Russia" were the final straw. But all this is against a background of the spam attack which took place just prior to these Kuniworth sponsored threads.

Kuniworth was a victim of circumstance.

Jersey

I think (I hope!) Orwell was referring to the architectural qualities (or lack of ) of my hometown. As for the big signs outside small towns in the US, a scene from National Lampoons Vacation comes to mind in which Chevy Chase pleads with the family to visit the town with "the largest ball of string in the world! It's only four hours drive away!"

Oh, I've just realised...we are Off-Topic. The padlock approaches...

CC

Yes, and probably a fitting time for it as it seems most of the posting to this thing has run it's course and the quantity seems to go against the original theme :D .

Chase has some great stuff in those flicks. He invariably gets a bit silly but along the way I think there's a lot of funny stuff. Did you catch the one where he backs into one of the Stonehenge pillars causing them all to topple like dominoes? That was from National Lampoon's European Vacation. I'd have liked the scene better without the little preamble about how long they'd been standing, which sort of over-killed the idea. I'd bet that big ball of string they're talking about is for real and an actual tourist attraction somewhere.

A lot of times it's hard to figure how Orwell meant things, especially those last few years. There was always that misfit, disillusioned, bitterness -- the very stuff of Every Great Writer! -- but it can be hard to tell when he was just ticked off about something and taking it out on a piece of geography. Now I'm curious to see it for myself! :D

Agreed on Kuni -- I thought his posts on meeting the author and going to Russia were perfectly legitimate. If someone goes to a WW II European Battlefield or meets or knows one of the last remaining figures of the event why not post it here? It's certainly relavant to the activity.

The Locked Thread idea was humorous to the rest of us but pretty unwise.

What I'm trying to say about the whole thing is yes, he was a victim of circumstances, but hopefully next time he'll create different circumstances!

I think he realizes that himself.

[ October 02, 2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Agreed on Kuniworth.

And yes, I suppose with over four pages of replies the death of the SC community has been exaggerated.

Yeah I've seen the European Vacation movie. The Stonehenge gag is funny and the scene of Beverly D'Angelo in the shower was a particular favourite during my teenage years :D

I like the character played by Randy Quaid in the original movie, the redneck loser with the kids from hell. And not forgetting the dog being tied to the car bumper (bumper=fender in the US?) smile.gif

A lot of times it's hard to figure how Orwell meant things, especially those last few years. There was always that misfit, disillusioned, bitterness -- the very stuff of Every Great Writer! -- but it can be hard to tell when he was just ticked off about something and taking it out on a piece of geography. Now I'm curious to see it for myself!
I'd post a picture of my city but I'm not sure how to do it. Anyway, the city was immortalised in the film The Full Monty and is called Sheffield. smile.gif

Orwelll was bitter and caustic in later life, maybe due to the fact he was dying and suffered from ill-health for most of his life. Still, he produced some great works.

Yes, that first movie had some great stuff. Imogene Coka [?], the grandmother who dies on the trip, was one of the funniest women on TV during the fifties and played opposite Sid Ceasar in many great comedy bits. The dead dog was a riot; wonder how many times it actually happened?

Pasting photos is pretty easy.

First find one on a website, then right click on the photo you want,

Select properties and click on that,

Highlight the entire path, hit control + C

Go to your posting at SC,

Select image , backspace through the http in there, hit Control + V and you'll see the path inside the box.

Hit OK and it will appear.

If you want to do it as a URL instead, which is better for oversized shots, repeat the same procedure except choosing URL instead of Image. After hitting OK, a second box will appear, fill in your note there, as in click here for such and such, except you can't use certain key words, such as Link .

Hope that helps. CvM tought me the IMAGE part and Hubert taught me the URL part.

Thanks for listing your town, I'm planning to look it up now and save some travelling expenses!

Haven't seen the Full Monty but planning to catch it on Cable.

[ October 02, 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

The Jamaican Havannas stink so they'd have to be genuine Havannas -- and only one box? Surely we respect him more than that!

Meanwhile, after all your gallant efforts, somebody at the General Forum just started a ... Seriously ... Forum. What's next, a Second News Sticky Thread! :eek:

[ October 02, 2003, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Thanks for the info on posting pictures. I hope to be as prolofic as you are now that I have the know-how smile.gif

The Full Monty is funny but gives the impression the city is dying (how apt for this thread!) but it isn't. Sheffield was once the largest producer of steel in the world and still makes alot of steel (my father has worked in the steel industry all his working life) but is now mostly post-industrial with many service-industry jobs.

Sounds like a lot of American cities. Seems like the industrialized countries have allowed their factories and foundaries to exit without replacing them with comparable industries. I think that's crimminal; treasonous actually.

Glad to be of service on that pasting method; looking forward to seeing the illustrated postings!

The ... Seriously... appears to have been hurriedly changed to something else, probably on word that you were going there.

The Second News Service is excellent. By all rights they should make it a sticky; it doesn't weigh anyone down with a lot of unnecessary details but gets right to the point. All The News That's Fit To Print ... well, okay, perhaps that's an overstatement, but it does have a lot of great news in it. Okay, perhaps that's also an overstatement but the thing is, a second News Thread was called for and it ought to be a Sticky!

[ October 02, 2003, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Well, Lucky Zorba was just banned. :( I was playing a game with him and he told me that he were banned from the forum. I asked if it was because he was Lucky Zebra or Lucky Elephant and he assured me he wasn't. Maybe, I am being lied to but I haven't seen anything that would lead to him being banned. He seemed like a nice person to me and I doubt Lucky Zebra would of played me in a game without making stupid comments after me saying "Jerk" got under his skin so much. Anyway, I'm off to read the last couple days worth of threads to see what may of caused this. I do sincerely hope that this does not result in some form of disciplinary action being taken against me, I just thought the news fit in with the subject matter at hand.

[ October 03, 2003, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Jordy ]