AAR for ErrantRecce vs. Wermacht the faithless

ErrantRecce1

Wehrmacht

"Nice. Too bad I don't know how good you are at all.. But I'll find out that soon "

After hundreds of tournament chess games and never understanding how I'd lose against guys rated much lower than myself, it finally dawned on me that it's best to regard every opponent as a master.

Good Luck to Both of you. God Lives in North America! Problem is HE never visits New Jersey.

"After hundreds of tournament chess games and never understanding how I'd lose against guys rated much lower than myself, it finally dawned on me that it's best to regard every opponent as a master."

I guess you are right. I almost lost one game because I underestimated my opponent.

By the way, how good are you in chess? World Champion? :D

Wehrmacht

Started playing when I was very young, used to hustle at it when for nickels, dimes and quarters when I was a kid because I knew chess playing kids didn't think I was the type to be good at it. I hero worshipped Bobby Fischer back then, a fellow Brooklyn boy, and I'd imitate him, playing guys in suits wearing dungarees, sneakers and a T-shirt. :D

Played in organized tournaments, mostly in NYC, from early sixties to late eighties. In rating terms I was an expert but at my height I'd regularly win against masters. In chess the higher your rating the better the competition you've got to beat in order to win prize money, so when my rating became too high -- when I had to beat the real top guns for prize money -- I stopped playing; haven't played now since around 1990. No longer a master or an expert or even patzah, barely a fish these days. I'll need to start playing the computer a bit -- unlike SC, the chess AI is very good.

I never worked hard enough at chess to become really good at it, but I loved the game and got to meet many of it's greatest players, including my childhood hero, Robert James Fischer, several times. Not much more to ask for out of life. :cool:

Meanwhile, I'm crowding your AAR thread, which I didn't mean to do. My aplogies. ;)

I like chess too, though I play it very rarely and I suck at it :D

I've been only playing against my friends but I never have lost a chess game :eek:

"Meanwhile, I'm crowding your AAR thread, which I didn't mean to do. My aplogies. "

No problem, I guess we'll start new thread anyway when the game finally starts.

Well, in as much as you'll probably start a new thread anyway for the AAR ...

Not losing regardless of the level you play at is always a great sign.

We learn the most from our defeats. The good competitive players do a lot of studying, particularly of openings and endgames, which not only improves your play but also saves invaluable time on the clock during tournament play.

For all I know you may be a master and not even realize it. If you want to be a little more serious at the game, however, buy a book of Modern Master Games, say at least 100, concentrating on great 20th Century players.

After you've played through it, select the player out of that group who is closest to your existing style and buy a good collection of that players greatest games. Study them till you've got a good version of his style.

After that, if you're still interested in improving your game, you'll have a good idea of how to improve. You'll also develop an opening repertoire based on the GrandMaster you've studied and will be ready to start studying those openings much more carefully in an encyclopedia of openings -- there are several good ones these days.

Chess is very memory dependant, especially over the board in a tournament with the clock running. It's also very hard work and once you've reached your high plateau it will be very difficult to improve. That's what happened to me, I reached the point where the gains were no longer proportionate to the effort involved. I was at least ten years behind schedule -- in other words, if I'd been as good in my early twenties as I was in my early thirties I would have continued going crazy trying to improve.

The Really Great Players usually establish themselves internationally in their mid-teens. Bobby Fischer, for example became U. S. Champion at 14 and a Grandmaster at 15. Twenty years later he went insane; he might have started out that way, but chess sure didn't help matters.

This is a link to a chess thread I wrote several posts to last October. It was a topic begun by DragonHeart comparing SC to Chess and I sort of hijacked it, as usual -- terrible habit I've got. :eek: :D

I think you'll enjoy reading it.

< Click Here to Thread on Chess, and to a lesser extent, SC. >

And with that, I'm out of this Thread, I promise! Apolgiies again and thanks for tolerating my nonsense.

[ April 30, 2004, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Thanks for posting that link. I really enjoyed it. Mayby I should start playing more chess. But the problem is that I'm already nolife-computerfreak :D and it takes a hell lot of time.

"And with that, I'm out of this Thread, I promise! Apolgiies again and thanks for tolerating my nonsense."

You don't have to do that, I enjoy your comments and posts. Everybodys comments and especially yours are always welcomed

smile.gif

Glad you enjoyed it, one of my better efforts and thanks for that closing comment. I was afraid I may have ruined someone else's AAR before it properly got started by posting too much to it, but you're right, this is a different situation.

Regarding chess, it's one of those things where it only makes sense to play it in the environment you enjoy.

Regardless how rusty I get I'll never be a social player. I don't like to play without a clock, don't enjoy the game unless it's under tournament conditions without a lot of lot of noise and can't play against people who want to either take moves back or discuss the game while it'd in progress, and all that. For me it will alsays be the competition that turns me on.

Being ten years inactive at this point it would take a year or more of real study to get me back where I can compete again, which is okay, I'm not in a hurry. We don't have any chess clubs around here and travelling to New York for it doesn't appeal to me.

So, I guess I'll start getting back into it slowly and hopefully at some point as I near sixty the wife and myself can move to a nice quiet place like Boise Idaho where there are bound to be a few old codgers like myself who like to potz around and have local tournaments and if I can be King of the Hill someplace like that I'd be satisfied -- New York, Chicago, Philly ... those aren't the sort of places I want to retire to, better to go somewhere good and quiet where they get annoyed if you put the piece down too hard.

If you ever do get in to it enough to play in the unrated section of a tournament I can promise you one thing for sure, there is nothing on earth quite like winning a good chess game, one where both you and the other guy played the best you could and you barely came out on top.

Among really good players the majority of games end up as draws, usually someone loses because they have to try for a win or they don't get prize money, so you take risks you know to be bad. But that level is way down the road for someone starting out. Getting there is all swashbuckle and fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Kuniworth, the problem is quite weird. When ErrantRecce sends his turn to me, I can't download it from my e-mail. Instead it just opens the file and there's some kind of code or something. I don't have an idea to solve this problem.

If anyone has any advices for this, please tell me. Thanks

I had a similar problem with some mails ,I have to open it since the mail acount and it(hotmail in my case) ask again if I want to open it or download it to my pc ,that 2nd time it works perfectly ,hope You can understand this and it works.

JJohn,

I am a rated lifemaster and have hovered at the 2400's back and forth. I was the US armed forces champion bvack in the 80's and was one of the strongest junior players in the Philippines. Chess is a good hobby. I would not stake my living at it. There's a lot of starving GMs out there.