The New Depot

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

I really like the "Uploader Substitute Dude" account idea.

Here is something posted over at We Band of Brothers

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Interesting intellectual property issue. I'm a scientist, not a lawyer. For what is worth, here is my opinion:

1) As long as the original author is not being deprived of income, then the main issues concern

(1a) giving credit to the authors, which probably easily solved, and (1b) whether they have any moral, if not legal, copyright over the mass distribution of their scenarios, which is probably the key to the debate GaJ mentions.

2) Assuming the the original authors have at least a moral control over mass distribution through Scenario Depot II, then the courteous thing to do is to find the original authors and ask them whether they give their permission to upload the scenarios. I don't think it matters who does the upload so long as the author has given permission.

3) If reasonable efforts to locate an author fail, then it should be OK to upload the scenario.

GaJ </font>

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something to keep in mind - If the original authors name is put into the "Comments" section for an uploaded scenario, that name will turn up in a keyword search for scenarios (basic search, Keyword text box). Not that that is an answer to the problem, but something to keep in mind.

It would be nice to put all the scenarios created placed at SDII, but if the author is unavailable maybe you can put them under 'See Description' and have someone research the info to put the authors name in the Comments field... (btw I would be willing to help with that if need be)... This should not be a big issue as the authors stuff is posted.... as a designer though I have seen some interesting things at some other sites... where I have had a scenario posted that is mine, with a link to the wrong place and the wrong file... and thus...... (you know the rest)....

I believe that GJK has stepped up and provided us with a great tool for distributing scenarios... much like he did for all us designers with The Proving Grounds ... Its true, that this will be the place to be for scenarios.... All that I ask for.... :eek: is there a way you can provide the designer to provide a link to the scenario file rather then uploading, as so, when making changes, (or maybe this shouldnt happen... since 'said' scenario should be done) :rolleyes: , one does not have to place 'said' scenario file to multiple locations...(just thinkin out loud)... as I am not to sure with what to do with scenarios from 'Sie Kommen', 'Red Beard 1189', and the 'Sweet Lorraine' battle packs.... :eek:

Thanks GJK... whatever my ignorance may tell me about you :D ... as always UDAMAN !!!

That is all...

Originally posted by Abbott:

Hey Gary,

I just sent you an e-mail concerning my Login information. Could you look it over when you have time please?

Regards,

Nick

I just noticed that you logged on, good to see you back #2!

(Abbott is member #2 from TPG/TSDII - he got there before I could sign up as member #3).

:D

Originally posted by Fredrock1957:

It would be nice to put all the scenarios created placed at SDII, but if the author is unavailable maybe you can put them under 'See Description' and have someone research the info to put the authors name in the Comments field... (btw I would be willing to help with that if need be)... This should not be a big issue as the authors stuff is posted.... as a designer though I have seen some interesting things at some other sites... where I have had a scenario posted that is mine, with a link to the wrong place and the wrong file... and thus...... (you know the rest)....

I believe that GJK has stepped up and provided us with a great tool for distributing scenarios... much like he did for all us designers with The Proving Grounds ... Its true, that this will be the place to be for scenarios.... All that I ask for.... :eek: is there a way you can provide the designer to provide a link to the scenario file rather then uploading, as so, when making changes, (or maybe this shouldnt happen... since 'said' scenario should be done) :rolleyes: , one does not have to place 'said' scenario file to multiple locations...(just thinkin out loud)... as I am not to sure with what to do with scenarios from 'Sie Kommen', 'Red Beard 1189', and the 'Sweet Lorraine' battle packs.... :eek:

Thanks GJK... whatever my ignorance may tell me about you :D ... as always UDAMAN !!!

That is all...

That's a good suggest Freddy but I'm not sure that I can implement that without a major rewrite of the database structure - but let me look at things and see how best that can be handled - I do understand your point though.

Also, regarding the MIA authors - there may be yet another option. If I create a template Excel spreadsheet that matches the data structure of the databases that can be passed around and populated, I can then export/import that information along with the scenario files to the site. We would have to be very careful to make sure that the data was accurate and the real potential problem would be getting the filename correctly recorded to the spreadsheet - the database is case-sensitive and of course spelling must be correct or else we'll get a 404 (file not found) error when someone goes to download the scenario.

If that sounds like a project that the community would like to work on, I'll make the spreadsheet.

Originally posted by GJK:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Abbott:

Hey Gary,

I just sent you an e-mail concerning my Login information. Could you look it over when you have time please?

Regards,

Nick

I just noticed that you logged on, good to see you back #2!

(Abbott is member #2 from TPG/TSDII - he got there before I could sign up as member #3).

:D </font>

Originally posted by General Bolt:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

I really like the "Uploader Substitute Dude" account idea.

Here is something posted over at We Band of Brothers

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Interesting intellectual property issue. I'm a scientist, not a lawyer. For what is worth, here is my opinion:

1) As long as the original author is not being deprived of income, then the main issues concern

(1a) giving credit to the authors, which probably easily solved, and (1b) whether they have any moral, if not legal, copyright over the mass distribution of their scenarios, which is probably the key to the debate GaJ mentions.

2) Assuming the the original authors have at least a moral control over mass distribution through Scenario Depot II, then the courteous thing to do is to find the original authors and ask them whether they give their permission to upload the scenarios. I don't think it matters who does the upload so long as the author has given permission.

3) If reasonable efforts to locate an author fail, then it should be OK to upload the scenario.

GaJ </font>

Also, regarding the MIA authors - there may be yet another option. If I create a template Excel spreadsheet that matches the data structure of the databases that can be passed around and populated, I can then export/import that information along with the scenario files to the site. We would have to be very careful to make sure that the data was accurate and the real potential problem would be getting the filename correctly recorded to the spreadsheet - the database is case-sensitive and of course spelling must be correct or else we'll get a 404 (file not found) error when someone goes to download the scenario.

If that sounds like a project that the community would like to work on, I'll make the spreadsheet.

Can I paraphase to make sure I understand?

You're offering that if we fill out a spreadsheet with TSD details of scnearios that were at TSD, then you will import that and make it look as if the original author put the scenario at TSDII ... IE make it look as if it was transferred straight from TSD to TSDII

?

That sounds like an excellent way to go. Surely those who are calling for the TSD scenarios to be posted will help with putting in the details in this way...

GaJ

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GJK:

Can I paraphase to make sure I understand?

You're offering that if we fill out a spreadsheet with TSD details of scnearios that were at TSD, then you will import that and make it look as if the original author put the scenario at TSDII ... IE make it look as if it was transferred straight from TSD to TSDII

?

That sounds like an excellent way to go. Surely those who are calling for the TSD scenarios to be posted will help with putting in the details in this way...

GaJ </font>

Hi

Excellent news regarding the new Scenario Depot -and what a great job has been made of it.

Re uploading scenarios from the 'Old' Depot. I would prefer if none of my old ones were re-uploaded. A few have had changes since then, and I am working my way through uploading the newer versions onto the Scenario Depot Ver 2. If you anyone needs to contact me re what is what you can do so through mt email address in my profile or via my website (link below). Again many thanks to all those giving up their time to make the Scenario Depot II a great resource for the CM world. Guid New Year tae ane an a' :D

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

Originally posted by lucero1148:

Hi Would you please sends me the spreadsheet as well? I've got a few scenario's and op's from the original SD that I'l re-post at TPG as well.

lucero1148@netscape.net

Thanks and you're doing a real great job and serivce for the community!

All best

Patrick

Hang on Patrick - I think that I'm going to make an online spreadsheet so that anyone can access it (might have to think on that - maybe a controlled access atmosphere) and I can control what goes into it to make sure that the fields are formatted properly. A spreadsheet that's passed around - I dunno, I can see that thing getting pretty mangled going from user to user.

More details on this as they come available.

;)

I am doing as George Mc. I am going through all my old scenarios. Those that are good enough are being posted. Those that aren't are either being upgraded or will not be posted at all.

If you post my old scenarios on the site will I be able to delete them? That would allow you to go ahead and load the entire spreadsheet and I can delete any of mine that were at the old site.

If I won't be able to delete them, then I don't want them loaded to the site in the first place.

Most, if not all, of them need to be reworked to my current standards.

I think the way to proceed on this is to first try and contact the authors (of course) - they may have some reasons known only to them for why they don't want the scenario to be available at all. Or, they may decide that they want to adjust the scenario in some way or they want to upload the scenario themselves.

Yup - I'd prefer it it anything I've done was NOT uploaded by anyone else. There are some real stinkers among the ones I've done, and I requested at least twice for them to be deleted from the original SD and it never happened.

And I agree - it's much easier for me if the original authors upload them - that way only they have the ability to modify the listing and/or delete them.

I think what should be done is first generate a list of proposed scenarios that people would like to see listed on the site - along with the author if known.

This list should then be made public and try every means possible to contact the authors to see if they will do the uploading themselves. We can then remove from the list any scenarios that the author will upload and/or doesn't want uploaded at all.

After some time and every effort has been made, we can then decide on how to proceed next with the list (completing the scenario details, and then actually uploading them if it is wanted by the community as a whole).