"high refresh = 1" does not work

Fuerte

It is still running at 60 Hz. Setting the compatibility mode to Win 98/ME helped with the desktop windows problem that is new in the gold demo. Both these issues should be fixed in the final version. Why can't SC just check the current desktop refresh rate and use it instead of 60 Hz? SC shouldn't change the desktop size... I have never before seen any other program that behaves like this.

Originally posted by Fuerte:

Why can't SC just check the current desktop refresh rate and use it instead of 60 Hz? SC shouldn't change the desktop size... I have never before seen any other program that behaves like this.

Most games only run at 60hz, its a known windows issue (fault).

Try downloading refreshlock, it will fix the problem for most videocards and is free.

http://www.softnews.ro/public/cat/12/1/12-1-12.shtml

I assume you have an Nvidia based video card?

The refresh issue is caused by a well documented and known bug between Windows XP and Nvidia drivers and locking the default refresh rate to 60Hz. There are many utilities that correct this issue and allow you to specify whatever refresh rate you wish for all available screen resolutions.

I use NVRefresh Tool which you can aquire from www.guru3d.com Its simple to use, run it select the refresh rates you want for every screen resolution and it saves that data to ther registry for you.

As to no other games having the refresh issue, that is not true. Before I ran that utility (you only have to set it once and never again) I was forced to play several games locked into 60Hz due to this known bug in the Nvidia drivers.

No one can seem to come to a firm reason why neither Microsoft or Nvidia have fixed this issue yet.

Madmatt

[ July 20, 2002, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Originally posted by Madmatt:

I assume you have an Nvidia based video card?

The refresh issue is caused by a well documented and known bug between Windows XP and Nvidia drivers and locking the default refresh rate to 60Hz.

The above is inaccurate, it is a Windows fault and not just restricted to nVidia cards, it applies to all video cards (you just hear about it more with nVidia cards because there are a lot more of them out there).

I have an ATI Radeon 8500 and it needs a 3rd party add on to beat the Windows 60 hz problem.

Its not game specific. Some monitors allow you to bring up the current refresh rate (My 21 inch NEC does this) so you might want to check.

Re: above post. I knew it was it was a Windows XP issue but couldn't confirm if it was isolated to the Nvidia cards or not. Now I know it's other cards as well. Thanks for that info on the Radeons.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Re: above post. I knew it was it was a Windows XP issue but couldn't confirm if it was isolated to the Nvidia cards or not. Now I know it's other cards as well. Thanks for that info on the Radeons.

Madmatt

I know it applies to all vid cards in Win XP and Win2K, I think it applies to all versions of Windows.

Originally posted by husky65:

Most games only run at 60hz, its a known windows issue (fault).

Try downloading refreshlock, it will fix the problem for most videocards and is free.

I first tried NVidia Refresh Fix, but it didn't detect my GeForce DDR. Then I run this RefreshLock, and it worked, unfortunately it has to be loaded always, while this Refresh Fix needs to be run only once. RefreshLock fixed the problem. I noticed that Unreal Tournament run at 75 Hz (not 60 Hz) without RefreshLock and at 85 Hz with it, so some programs work better than Strategic Command. And UT does not change window sizes on desktop.

Don't forget, games like UT are running in either OpenGL or DirectX mode. SC is neither.

Hubert has stated that he coded it to support native Windows graphics calls, ostensiably to provide wider cross platform compatability between the various flavors of Windows. A unintended side effect of this was the discovery that the different Windows versions handle desktop icon restoration in different ways, THAT (the inconsistent Windows behavior) is what is causing this issue, although he have provided workarounds that DO indeed work and are commited to continuing to investigate this issue further and are aware of the annoyance it has caused some people.

Thank you.

Madmatt

[ July 21, 2002, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Of course the best solution would be to use the current desktop. Do not change any screen settings, just open a full screen window on the standard desktop. Program SC so that it uses all available space on standard desktop resolution, be it 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x800 or whatever. Just show a bigger map in case of bigger resolution. This should be easier to implement than fixing these various resolution and refresh rate problems.