A Little CM Puzzle Scenario For You

I ran into a tough situation with a gun while playing against the AI the other day. The situation was so tough, that I decided to recreate the problem in the form of a TINY 12 turn CMAK scenario that can be played in less than 10 minutes.

Here's the briefing:

There is a German AT gun with a hotshot crew somewhere on the high ground to your front. You've been ordered to knock it out. You will almost certainly suffer casualties; but Total Victory is yours if the gun is put out of commission (ignore score). If you reach a point where you are SURE the gun is dead, or you run out of ammo, just surrender and check the map to see how you did. Remember, if the gun is knocked out, you won. The score means nothing.

There are officers on both flanks to help spot the gun when it opens fire.

You probably should not expend HE by hammering at the slopes in hopes of guessing the gun's location. You don't have much ammo to waste, and there are many nice positions for the gun.

Choose the Allied side. Make sure you're using at least FULL FOW. Use the default German setup. Good Luck!

NOTE: Even if the gun location is known (replay), it's not easy to knock out if you let the AI have the first shot. Doing so simulates, to a certain degree, your discovery of the gun all over again. Gun crews are in no great hurry to open fire from a position they have not yet compromised; and they don't comprehend replays. Let the enemy gun start the hostilities.

The gun can be knocked out virtually every time, once you figure out how to do it. I doubt even the best of CMers could knock this gun out the first time they play the scenario, or even the second time. :D

If you would like to try my little puzzle scenario, just email me at mikeman@cablelynx.com. I'll send it to you within 24 hours.

Treeburst155 out.

[ August 02, 2005, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Zweihorn,

I sent the scenario to the address in your profile.

Black Max has solved the puzzle; but he invented a new way to do it. His method will only work against the AI, while my intended solution will work against an experienced human. This means I will not be depressed over Black Max. He has NOT contributed to the ruination of my health and happiness. Keep trying, Black Max. Win the scenario without giving orders of any kind to your spotter units.

Treeburst155 out.

[Possible cheat spoiler]

I'm guessing he was more adept than I at trying to cheat by having one of the HQs run back and forth on the ridge to draw fire from the PaK? Only works if there's no Cover Armor arc, of course.

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Black Max has solved the puzzle; but he invented a new way to do it. His method will only work against the AI, while my intended solution will work against an experienced human. This means I will not be depressed over Black Max. He has NOT contributed to the ruination of my health and happiness. Keep trying, Black Max. Win the scenario without giving orders of any kind to your spotter units.

Treeburst155 out.