Why do you write reviews?

I would like to start by thanking each and every person that has ever written a review on an HSG scenario! We appreciate you!!

But what makes people write reviews? We often ask why people won't write them...

I write reviews for a variety of reasons mostly in this order...

1) The scenario has 400 downloads and no reviews yet. I know how this feels. I actually have some scenarios with over 650 Downloads and no reviews.

I also have had a review done with only 20 Downloads (DL's)

I feel that ANY and EVERY designer deserves to get at least one person's opinion of their work.

2)Something about the scenario caught my eye. I have in the past done only historically based scenarios, either historical or semi-historical in nature. So that is where I start my search.

3) Size. I don't like monster scenarios which is funny considering my latest scenario shows up as HUGE. But I don't have alot of time for playing with as much time as I spend in the editor.

I bring all this up because HSG has ABSOLUTELY been BLESSED by the CM community in it's support of our work. If there is a way to spread the wealth we would like to do just that.

For those of you that rarely do reviews or have never done one. Just do one a month. Think of how many reviews that would be by the end of the year if everybody that came here to BFC just did one review a month!

Okay, I'm off the soapbox now.

i write reviews to give back to the cm community, in particular, for the brave souls who take the time and trouble to create scenarios

i feel like the least that can be done is to return the favor by writing reviews

i'd probably of run across some of the HSG work if it weren't for the fact that i'm currently working only on cmbo scenarios with no reviews - a quick search at SD shows the HSG's are cmak work

i'll get there eventually ;)

but it could take awhile, i'm only in the C's currently for cmbo, so that leaves hundreds or more just for cmbo, to say nothing of cmbb, before i even get to cmak

patience though, i'm doing about 10 a month, so i'll get there eventually smile.gif

[ June 06, 2005, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: easytarget ]

This isn't a thread about you guys doing reviews for HSG work. While we'll take them, and are grateful for the reviews we get, I think we are far ahead of the normal scenarios posted to reviews received ratio that most designers/groups get. I personally think that is because we have such a quality product...but I could be just a little biased. :D:D:D

This thread is about guys who take the time to come to BFC and type THOUSANDS of words of, at times, meaningless babble, who could do at least one review a month and give a scenario designer some feedback.

For instance, A CMAK scenario, Attack the Farm has 1532 DL's and only a single review. A lot of guys have DL'ed that scenario and only one has every said anything about it on the Scenario Depot.

I forgot one group of scenarios that I personally try very hard to write a review on, and that is, a designer that has posted his very first scenario to the Scenario Depot.

As a member of B&T I write a review of every B&T scenario I playtest but it seems a little inapropriate to upload my reviews of B&T scenarios to The Depot.

Not because the reviews aren't appreciated, or warranted, or impartial quality material, but the fact that as a member of B&T my review could be construde as biased in the context when considered against an independant review of a B&T scenario.

I have a few scenarios up at the Depot and a couple of reviews from independant sources as compared to a couple of thousand downloads...

I appreciate every review and thank those who have enjoyed my scenarios enough to comment on them.

Thanks for the reviews, keep em' coming!

Richie

Originally posted by Panther Commander:

This thread is about guys who take the time to come to BFC and type THOUSANDS of words of, at times, meaningless babble, who could do at least one review a month and give a scenario designer some feedback.

Amen to that my freind.

I think easytarget has taken on a noble task, and from what I've seen he provides good, honest, and productive feedback. Hats off to him and those like him.

[QB]For those of you that rarely do reviews or have never done one. Just do one a month. Think of how many reviews that would be by the end of the year if everybody that came here to BFC just did one review a month!/QB]

Some time ago I became aware that people who make mods must get the satisfaction of gratitude and appreciation. The same goes of course for people who make scenarios. I've started with that a little while ago. I will make sure I keep on doing that in the future.

1) The scenario has 400 downloads and no reviews yet. I know how this feels. I actually have some scenarios with over 650 Downloads and no reviews.

I have a scenario over there with over 1000 D/L's and no reviews... I didnt even think the scenario was that good yet it has been D/L'ed that many times... Why... I have come to expect no reviews... but as a designer when I do get one I will ALWAYS write a response... Also if I play a scenario from The Depot I will take the time to post a review... though most of my comments are on the playtesting side over at The Proving Grounds

That is all...

well i have just done my first ever review.

reading this thread made me think how i feel when soembody praises me for one of my mods.

So its about time i did the same for you scenario writers.

I have written a review of Kicking in the door for cmbb.

And i will try to remember which games i have played and do a short piece for any i can remember.

[ June 07, 2005, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: gautrek ]

Originally posted by Fredrock1957:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panther Commander:

I have a scenario over there with over 1000 D/L's and no reviews... I didnt even think the scenario was that good yet it has been D/L'ed that many times... Why... I have come to expect no reviews... but as a designer when I do get one I will ALWAYS write a response... Also if I play a scenario from The Depot I will take the time to post a review... though most of my comments are on the playtesting side over at The Proving Grounds

That is all... </font>

I review every scenario by another author that I play, regardless of whether it was testing or a fully published one. I do not play a lot of scenarios by other authors, so you won't see many reviews from me.

I encourage players in my briefings to review, giving them information about the Depot and my email address for direct feedback. So it is a case of do unto others as you would like to have done to thyself.

More feedback would be nice, but I am realistic enough to not despair over it. Makes it all the nicer when the odd email comes in, or when someone takes the inordinate amount of time to post an AAR like Krautman just does.

Originally posted by Kip Watson:

Hey gautrek , thanks for the review of Kicking in the Door. I left you a brief reply.

I'm lucky that people even play my scenarios, but to get is a nice review is priceless! smile.gif

No problem.

I take it the cheques in the post now is it. :D

As i said in my review.this one was fun.

This is what CM is about for me and my mate.

We like just trying to kick the crap out of each other and have a laugh at the same time.

Originally posted by Kip Watson:

I'm not sure if I've ever reviewed one of your scenarios, but I do try and write something on the Depot for most of the ones I play.

I do this because I know scenario designers are evil and will enjoy hearing how much their creations have tortured me! ;)

Yes please do tell us how they torture you so. :D

Hi Panzerman, I've played quite a few of the CSDT scenarios - especially by yourself and by Tom the Warmonger. (I hope I reviewed them all, might have overlooked a couple).

Some exquisite torture indeed!

I currently have a PBEM of 'Standing Alone' underway (I'm playing German). Could you hear my screams? I was sure they could be heard around the world! ;)

Panzerman, You got me thinking and I've downloaded a bunch more of yours from SD into my 'first suitable opponent' folder.

Although I have to be careful who I play them against. Guys who are more used to playing QB MEs for example have been known to spit at me for selecting really evil scenarios.

(a bit like feeding a baby Vindaloo curry I guess) smile.gif

While on the subject, I would like to pose a question to other scenario designers.I certainly have had my share of good and bad reviews. However for every review I have gotten I have also recieved 5 or 6 e-mails with feedback from other players, especialy(but not always) positive ones. People will send me a 4 or 5 paragraph AAR of how they played out one of my ops and I will e-mail them back saying thanks and asking them to post a review but it never happens. To me it does not make sense to download a scenario from the depot and take the time to write a long e-mail rather than writing the same description at the depot for all to see

:confused: :confused:

Cannot say I have gotten more than four or five emails from people with AAR over the four and half years I have been designing scenarios, but then again, I don't get very many reviews if any for some battles either. That said I get most of my reviews from the kind fellows over at the Proving Grounds and thats more than enough to help me make better battles.

Originally posted by Emar:

While on the subject, I would like to pose a question to other scenario designers.I certainly have had my share of good and bad reviews. However for every review I have gotten I have also recieved 5 or 6 e-mails with feedback from other players, especialy(but not always) positive ones. People will send me a 4 or 5 paragraph AAR of how they played out one of my ops and I will e-mail them back saying thanks and asking them to post a review but it never happens. To me it does not make sense to download a scenario from the depot and take the time to write a long e-mail rather than writing the same description at the depot for all to see

:confused: :confused:

You are limited to 500 letters in both the review and spoiler sections. If they use the AAR function they could make it as long as they want. Many have complained that the 500 limit, is, well, too limiting. ;)

I too recieve a fair portion of direct emails. I like those as well. They give the designer feedback but that particular form of communicating with the designer doesn't allow other gamers to gain a perspective on the scenario.

So, while I will gladly take any kind of feedback, the most bang for a reviewers buck is placing a public review OR AAR on the Scenario Depot.

yeah,bad feelings,

My only CMBB operation has been downloaded for over a 1000 times.

No reviews though,I myself review most scenarios that I download.

Why?

Simply because evey designer can contribute his thoughts,positive or negative.

In that way his colleague can deliver a better product next time.

Or simply to give the credit a good battle needs.

henk