SC dictionary: THE OLD GUARD

Kuniworth

Hm as I see th knowledge of this board declining I think it's time for some history lessons...from my upcoming dictionary;

The old guard/"the guard"/class of 2002

Nickname for the players joining th BF board in 2002. Back then SC was brand new and TCP/IP play not even invented. Those players also were present at the famous "christmas riot" aka "christmas season from hell". The old guard includes players such as;

Zappsweden

Jon J Rambo

Kuniworth

some_god

Comrade Trapp

Fubarno

Liam

Kurt 88

Terif

Jordy

Panzer39

JerseyJohn

Iron Ranger

82nd ready

Konstantin V Kotelnikov

Waltero

JP Wagner

Seawolf_48

Brad T

Immer Etwas(Desert Dave)

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Pzgndr(Bill Macon)

Brianthewise

Hueristic

Otto

Hubert Cater

Yohan

Archibald

John DiFool

Jim Boggs RIP

Edwin P

Codename condor

Fischkopf

[ January 05, 2006, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Kuniworth ]

Ok others feel free to post here about other important words that newbies should know. For example;

-christmas riot

-Eb-Dgaad wars

-Rambo's Headcracked list

-Terif's first loss

-Kuni's identity inquisition

-Alaska(Home of waltero's mom)

-Guns of August

-Mannerheim's slim shady remix

etc etc

FIREBASE BASTOGNE

A rebel fansite designed by Comrade Trapp to work as a base of "freedom of speech". Constructed at the time of Kuniworth's first bannings it became the villains primary SC base. The website ceased due to technical problems in 2004(?), but was the place of many classic threads. Including a top 10 all time thread about news & weather forecasts by JerseyJohn and Kurt88.

Nice job Kuni.

I was shocked when i saw a RIP inscription besides Jimm Boggs, i didnt realize he had passed away and i search and read JJ post to find out HC is somehow remembering him in SC2. thats moving.

Makes me think, weve been writing & shoutin &brawling in this forum for quite a long time but we hardly know each other, we can pass away and nobody here would notice.

Whos lurkin out there and whos kicked the bucket?

"I don't remember the name of the pool hall. Frankly, I don't recall ever seeing a sign, or anything else in the place with a name on it. I do remember the players. They all had nifty nicknames. Mousie and Polkadot I remember best. Like the other regulars, they were old, played pool for money, and always seemed to have a lot of it. Most of the old men kept a pint of whiskey in their back pocket, and the weight of it made their pants sag at the seat. Occasionally, one of them might push part of his shirt tail back into his pants. Never all of it. I don't know why.

I remember rolls of hundred dollar bills, in a time when a hundred bucks would pay rent for a couple of months. I rarely saw the old men playing pool with strangers. They gambled mostly with each other, so the money must have just circulated. The nicotine walls in the pool hall were spattered with warning signs, such as "NO GAMBLING!" Back then it was as logical to me as "NO PRAYING" signs in church." Jim Meador RIP.

We didnt even gamble.

CC -- Enjoying your Pool Hall journey. Reminds me of dimly remembered days going to them as a kid with my father, back before the game was considered family oriented. ;)

I sat up and had to look at the monitor twice. The last time I'd read anything like this was forty years ago and this guy, he was as good as Walter Tevis, maybe better. Or, maybe he was Walter Tevis! I had to read more to find out.

hustler_lg-01.jpg

[ December 08, 2005, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Kuni,

Great stuff. I love the nostalgia of this place and your take on it. smile.gif

The only two I was able to come up with were

Zeres and General Bilotte

They were both instrumental in that strange group generated, spontaneous AAR, The Rise and Fall of the Free French.

Comrade,

Sorry to say this, but I think that may also be the case with disorder. I tried contacting him several times at different emails and there was never a reply. I don't think he was angry at me or looking to make an abrupt exit from the site, and he wasn't the kind of guy who would suddenly stop posting.

He was a riot and a great guy and I hope I'm wrong on this one.

I had resurrected an old thread concerning a player's view of the AI and I noticed ALOID's name...he was a very active poster in the early days and then just vanished, unless he changed his name...

I have been culling through the early threads as some interesting history is there....some of the names and topics really brought back memories...

In fact Kuni's post reminded me that I started out as J Wagner, but a lose of my password and a change in my Internet servce caused me to start up again... I think this was my first post...bitching about the demo.... ;)

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000507

[ December 08, 2005, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: J P Wagner ]

Kuni at 'is best ;)

Makin' weird noise when most folks

Are just too awful FEAR-full

To say much of much aloud.

But, I gotta keep tellin' ya I guess,

Immer is IN - the desert loon bin!

Can't you keep that straight? :confused:

He was NOT cut out for mixin' in

With decent, law & norm-abiding folks!

Not here, NOT anywhere.

I see 'im now & again and he just

Scribbles strange signs & symbols

All over the well-padded walls.

Anyway, yeah, some cool fly

In them yester days.

I'd agree with JJ,

That Free French, Picasso-esque arabesque

Spy VS Spy stuff was mind-blowing,

To say the least! :cool:

i like the "yester days" thingy Dave, is it ancient english or u invent things to make the rhyme?

CC,

Sure, I'll make things up, haven't you noticed after almost 4 years? LOL!

**RE: post over on other, less competitive forum:

Well, IMHO, you have a fine and unique writing style that might well be called... YOU are making thangs up, as well! ;)

(... I grew up, mostly down South; used to frequent them far out places down along the Bayou or deep in the dank dark banjo-bangin' woods of Alabam and would rock & roll out in deep sea-green grasses in old Kentucky home, as well, so that likely is what yer a'hearin here & there)

Originally posted by Codename Condor:

Ive meself been to Tennessee, kinda weird way of talking, maybe after all these years theres still some of it in me.

Ok that's it!!!! This explain all the ryder cup losses on your part mister. You're banned from da team boy.

/ Kuni, captain of the Euro ryder cup team

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats US! , american team wins the 2005 Mosconi Cup!

winners_2005.jpg

Earl Strickland (44) elected MVP of the Mosconi Cup!

"By that time though Strickland’s ever shortening fuse was about to blow. Firstly, he walked out on a live TV interview with Sky Sports’ presenter Andy Goldstein and then became embroiled in an unsightly slanging match with European supporters."

“You suck, you suck, all of London ******!” yelled the three-time World Champion before being visibly restrained by his captain Johnny Archer"

MOSCONI_DY4_WINNERS7.jpg

"I'm really shocked I got the MVP – I want to apologise for what I said about London on day one, it's really a nice town, he said. "

"When I get in the heat of the battle I come undone and I want to apologise for how I was and the things I said.

"It's so much fun and so easy to play with Rodney – I'm 44 but I played like I'm 24 in this event, I've never shed tears in my life but being the MVP is the most important thing I've ever done in my life."

I don't know if early 2003 counts, but the names of the "old timers" are familiar to me. And I do remember when the "Dutch gambit" was the hot new strategy...

I've been checking in here from time to time (mostly looking for SC2...), but it's been great to see things evolving.

I have a hard time making time for an occasional game of SC, much less posting here, but hello to everyone.

SB

Originally posted by Hueristic:

Holy crap! has it been that long!

Damn seems like yesterday poor Moon had to babysit this bunch of lunatics!

Happy Holidays All!

Damn, a legend has returned! Great to see you. Come visit the SC2 forum, we have an interesting discussion wether or not some Captain is tied up to his computer by some SUper Villain and forced to get electric impulses to his genitals everyday SC2 is not released.

Originally posted by santabear:

I don't know if early 2003 counts, but the names of the "old timers" are familiar to me. And I do remember when the "Dutch gambit" was the hot new strategy...

I've been checking in here from time to time (mostly looking for SC2...), but it's been great to see things evolving.

I have a hard time making time for an occasional game of SC, much less posting here, but hello to everyone.

SB

Hey SB I remember you! Good to see you around!