Somebody, write a review!

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

Sergei posted a request for a review. 1 person responded here almost immediately. (I note two others at TSD now... not contributed by the whingers).

I don't think you can repute British Tommy as an uncontributing whinger if you take into account how much he has helped others at The Proving Grounds. Personally, I was just teasing him (hence the mad smiley). I'm grateful that he wrote his AAR, really. I just wish someone amputated his left arm so that he'd learn to type less. :mad:

I agree that BT is not an uncontributing whinger.

Neither am I one to generally slander people, or even get cross too easily.

Possibly I should withdraw the "mob of freakin whingers", but I certainly do not withdraw the sentiment that the heckling in this thread is uncalled for and unwelcome.

GaJ.

Originally posted by JasonC:

"the knowledge that you have downloaded their work without letting them know - that is the sole purpose of having a log in system"

Hah - funny! I haven't seen that before, and all I can say is that it doesn't reflect the spirit of the argument for having signon in the discussions that I was around for.

In any case, the motivation is not to disuade prolific writers - that hardly needs to be said.

As I experienced it, the motivation for the current implementation was to make the majority of the users of the site happy with the way it worked (it's not my site, by the way!). Adm Keth conducted extensive discussions in this forum about the way it should be. The most vocal group at the time were the scenario designers, and since TSD wouldn't exist without them I imagine their voice was also listened to with some priority. The two things I recall most clearly are that:

1) Scenario designers wanted to see sign-in. I don't know how clear it was at the time to them that there might be a significant body of genuine reviewers that this would exclude.

2) Scenario designers did not want a numeric rating system for the scenarios, especially in a way where the scenario scores could be compared with others.

As a person who goes to TSD to find reliably good scenarios to play double blind, if I could have one of these two things changed, it would be the latter. While not as prolific as some, I do have a policy of reviewing every scenario I play. My input at TSD has gone down because I'm getting scnearios from there less often these days... because they have become harder to find there...

(gets back down off the "bring back the rating system" soap box :) )

Regards,

GaJ.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JasonC:

"the knowledge that you have downloaded their work without letting them know - that is the sole purpose of having a log in system"

</font>

It's not clear to me why its ridiculous to move the discussion from heckling to constructively discussing why TSD is the way it is... maybe the heckling was more fun or somefink? tongue.gif

GaJ.

No, it's because we're tired of your heckling.