1945 scenario - get it here!

Kuniworth

1945 Götterdämmerung - the fall of the third reich(historical)

Ok here we have the long awaited 1945 scenario for strategic command. The scenario starts at december 16th 1944, with Germany moving first. The reich is under hard pressure in Italy and in the west. Finland is gone as well as Rumania, Bulgaria and most of the hungarian forces. Yugoslavia is revolting and Belgrade is in russias hands, Albania is in partizan hands. In scandinavia, the 20th Mountain army is weak after retreating from the russian offensive in northern norway and can't mount serious opposition.

Meanwhile the red army are massing for the gigantic vistula-oder offensive in january(historically beginning january 12th, 1945). The axis player got the choice of attempting to strike in the ardennes or trying to strenghten the front in the east. Anyhow, the reich will surely fall, but for how long can wehrmacht hang on?

This scenario can be played in mirror mode, who'll be the fastest to reach Berlin and free Europe from nazi-tyranny?

Send me an mail to kuniworth@hotmail.com or post your mail-adress below if you're interested in trying it out.

[ September 21, 2004, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Kuniworth ]

AXIS TACTICS

First of all, you need to disband your airfleets. They cant compete with allied air and you need the MMP to strenghten the eastern front. Refighting the battle of the bulge is a loss, instead attack the 2nd British army in Holland if you chose to fight in the west. You’re main priority is to reinforce the eastern front which will bear the main brunt of the allied offensive. If you can slow down the russians, and hold them out of western Poland and east prussia for as long as possible then the western allies will be punished. Therefore deploy all or some hq:s in Poland to bolster the defence and stop the red hordes. US corps will be weak in the long run anyway and can be hit hard with your armies.

Don’t forget to entrench units in all towns possible. Not only will they be hard to dislodge, allies will also get worse supply this way.

ALLIED TACTICS

Sooner or later you’re air-superiority will kill off the reich. But before that your main priority however is to make the big red steamroller moving. Deploy some units to the Balkans and try to outflank the axis and use your best troops to smashholes in the german defense lines. For instance do not attack Warsaw with field armies but use your heroes from Stalingrad(Chuikov’s 8th Guards army) to destroy Warsaw-garrison and create a base for further operations. Grab Konigsberg immediately if you can, otherwise move around it.

Italy is no problem, axis will try to block your line but it will only be temporary as no reinforcements will go to this theatre. Airfleets in Italy can be moved to the western front to bring down more valuable units if you prefer that.

WHAT HAPPENED HISTORICALLY?

Hitler launched the ardennes offensive december 16th 1944 and was halted 10 days later. When it failed Germany was to weak in turn to halt or at least slow down the red army. The massive soviet winter offensive begun on the january 12th with the 1st ukrainian front annihilating 4th panzer at Sandomierz. Followed up by the attacks of 1st Belorussian front the german defence in Poland broke down completely and the russians reached the river Oder in less than a month. This serious threat to Berlin forced Germany to virtually strip the western front on troops to stand between the capitol and the russians. Vital reinforcements were also sent to Hungary trying to free the 188,000 axis troops surrounded in Budapest. This never succeeded and Zhukov used the spring to secure his flanks. Meanwhile the 14th and 10th german armies in Italy were slowly giving up ground in Italy, realising that the situation was plain hopeless. The final offensive begun on april 16th when the red army attacked from the Oder bridgeheads and unleashed the worst firestorm in history over german positions. Zhukov’s troops raised the flag over the reichstag at april 30th and 8 days later Germany officially surrendered to the allies.

Kuniworth --- Hey, thanks for the lesson, appreciate it. You're our resident expert on Russian/German affairs. I look forward to playing a little scenario with specific objectives that doesn't take 20 hours to complete. Did you name the units? Is it historical from your findings?

Legend awaits to destory Germany. (how about Dresden?, didn't they get it in early '45?)

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

Kuniworth --- Hey, thanks for the lesson, appreciate it. You're our resident expert on Russian/German affairs. I look forward to playing a little scenario with specific objectives that doesn't take 20 hours to complete. Did you name the units? Is it historical from your findings?

Legend awaits to destory Germany. (how about Dresden?, didn't they get it in early '45?)

Dresden was fire-bombed by the allies on february 2nd, 1945...two days before the Jalta conference(what an coincidence ;) )

And yes the scenario is historical.

• 3 weeks later...

Kuni,

I've had some problems with my computer and SC files lately so I wasn't able to look at your scenario until today.

It has the look of truth to it! The Germans are still strong enough to create problems in one or two areas but are obviously lost to anyone other than Hitler and his enterouage of fanatics. Sad pockets of Germans, like the two cut off armies of Army Group Kourland serving no purpose on the Baltic coast except in Hitler's blurred vision and there are isolated Fortress cities, doomed, the opening underbelly at Yugoslavia and Northern Italy and seemingly strong lines east and west but without reserves.

Great job! :D

As you state, it's inteded to be played from view of winning the most quickly with the Allies or taking the greatest time to lose as the Germans.

Jersey;

Since the version I sent you the scenario has been updated quite heavily. There are still some problems with hungary and yugoslavia belonging to the UK but the main difference is that I merged many allied units and it aint as easy for them to flank through Yugoslavia immediately.

That makes manouverability much more vital and game much more exciting.

Btw what happened here earlier today? Lucky Hippo and Herr Zebra both strikes??? Lucky Zebra can't be 100% sane, by dividing his forces this time he only could produce like 2-4 postings before justice had him in custody. Weird guy. I'm apperently some kinda role model to him.

Kuni,

When you get a chance to send me a copy, or when you feel it's finished, I'd very much enjoy seeing the updated version.

In the version I had it did look as though the Axis was hopeless on the Southern Front, but then they pretty much were, they had a million men stuck in Northern Italy at the end of the war while Germany itself was being taken, much of the remaining resistance coming from isolated pockets of SS and fanatical Hitler Youth (that's the Spring of 1945, I'm talking about, not the end of 1944 as depicted in the scenario).

Regarding this mornings incursions, I can only say the outskirts of the jungle and savannah are nearer than we suppose! :D

Last time the Zebra came wandering through there was only one SC Forum so he was probably dazed and confused by the new choices! ;)

Alas, Dr Carl Baker has passed from our ranks.

He lingered only briefly, gave us a new way of looking at medicin instead of the more mundane medicine.

His sole accomplishment was an incredible one, to get the "Unlockable" Ronald Reagan thread the padlock it so richly deserved. How he found it in the first place is baffling as it seemed to have been buried. But alas, it was bumped one time too many.

Some say he was a troll, others simply that he was sanity challenged. Regardless of which happens to be the case, he passes, like that other great deranged physician, Dr Giggles, into SC obscurity.

us102448.jpg

[ October 10, 2004, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]