The most realistic scenarios?

Q for the history buffs here. I've noticed that scenarios seems to be graded between historical and fictional. What scenarios out there fall in the more extreme historical category? I mean in terms of map accuracy, order of battle, and other fighting conditions that recreates a documented event from the war.

A couple that come to mind:

Cintheaux - Totalize by the Desert Fox(CMBO)

Little Stalingrad by Michael Dorosh (CMAK)

I'll add more as I remember them. Others I'm sure will add to this thread.

Now, if I could just get off my ass and finish my St. Lambert scenarios I may just add my own to the list.

I've found it very difficult at times to get exact orders of battle, and on some occasions actual maps as a reasonable scale for Eastern Front scenarios. The OOB stuff mainly affects the Soviets, although more info is becoming available. With that in mind I then call the scenario semi-historical in that for some or all of the above reasons it is not an exact recreation. Another issue is you sometimes have to tweak the CM parameters a wee bit just to make the AI do stuff.

If you want to take a look at some semi-historical drop me a line at gmcewan@totalise.co.uk and I'll email you some stuff - save the download time and me typing names smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George

The best I've been able to come up with has been my "WBRP - Charnel Wood" one. I was able to find sources from both sides citing unit strength & vehicle type. This to me was crucial as both sides botched the other sides info. For instance, the Germans reported destroying some Carriers and ATGs when they actually went up against PIAT-toting infantry and Wolverines. The Canadians reported being attacked by 6-10 "Tigers" which were actually eight Panthers.

Aerial photos & sketched maps were available for the battlezone. Time of day was also known, ditto for the weather.

Considering my experience it may not say much, but the best maps by far (including CMBB and CMAK) I’ve seen are in a few scenario’s on http://users.pandora.be/aneric/index8.htm. They are CMBO scenario’s but –especially modded up- the maps are great. Team Desobry - Retreat from NOVILLE I’m currently playing by PBEM and it is full of surprises. It looks much, much better then the De Sobry operation which came with the CD. Don't know how correct it is in terms of forces and equipment, but the map is modelled after the real situation.

Originally posted by Bert Hamoen:

Team Desobry - Retreat from NOVILLE I’m currently playing by PBEM and it is full of surprises. It looks much, much better then the De Sobry operation which came with the CD. Don't know how correct it is in terms of forces and equipment, but the map is modelled after the real situation.

IMHO Being a student of the Ardennes Offensive "Team Desobry" was a big disappointment for me. Both the Map (The town of Noville looks nothing like the game map representation) the vertical relief, and the german forces (won't give away with spoiler) were not accurate :( .

Ahem... Now to toot my own horn, give my "HSG B" scenarios a try. The maps are painstakingly accurate representations from 1:25000 period topo, and the forces are based on my years of historical research. 3 battles and 1 Op available on the depot.

Hi,

the scenarios and maps you mentioned are made by McAulife.

They are very accurate ,as are his scenarios.

For CMBO his switchback operation is also historically accurate.

I can say you should try all of his battles.

For CMAK I hace created a battle about the openingstages of the Battle of the Bulge,named Clervaux ,deathtrapp for the 110th infantryregiment.

Try that one too if you have CMAK smile.gif

Here is a list of accurate historical scenarios

On the CD

The attack on Nibeiwa Fort

Defense of Snipe

Melfa Bridgehead

Sidi Nsir (operation)

At the Depot

Small Operations, May 15, 1940

Small Operations, Mirbat, Oman SAS

SO, Waalhaven Assault, 1940

SO, Abu Agueila, 1956

SO, Storming Ashi-Shima

SO, Saar Bridgehead 1944

SO Bishenpur Burma PTO

SB, First Blood 1940

SB, Tank Charge at Tenaru

SB, Limbang, Royal Marines

SB, 3RTR at Calais 1940

SB, Block at El-Arish 1956 (based on eye-witness account)

SB, First Kill, PTO

SB, First Victory, PTO

SB, Outpost Eerie, 1952

SB, Denmark, 1940

SB, IJA Airborne P1 PTO

SB, Blood for Oil, PTO

SB, Suoi Tre Vietnam

SB, Jaffa 1948 AIW

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by simovitch:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bert Hamoen:

Team Desobry - Retreat from NOVILLE I’m currently playing by PBEM and it is full of surprises. It looks much, much better then the De Sobry operation which came with the CD. Don't know how correct it is in terms of forces and equipment, but the map is modelled after the real situation.

IMHO Being a student of the Ardennes Offensive "Team Desobry" was a big disappointment for me. Both the Map (The town of Noville looks nothing like the game map representation) the vertical relief, and the german forces (won't give away with spoiler) were not accurate :( .

</font>

I played a Bulge Battle with historically accurate artillery added to an existing game. It was murder on the US as lots of rockets etc unbalanced the forces, I think serius tweaking might have to be considered as the game mechanics do not necessarily provide a straight translation from historic to a good game ....

but then you knew that didn't you : )

I have made a battle for the switchback operation.

The Germans had a army HQ there responsible for picking up stragglers of all other services fleeing from belgium and france.

When I start digging up the OOB of the force present during switchback I found out the Germans had a total of nearly 500 guns ranging from Mg 42 to big calibre 210mm Naval guns in a 3 km square area.............lots of them were 20/37 and 75 mm guns.

Needless to say I had to tweek the OOB a little.

I never use much artillery,especially no rocket or any other type of FO above batallion level.

If you do use such FO's than give them a very low % for showing up as reinforcements,this might add some realism since not all requests for artillery fire missions were succesfully delivered at regimental HQ's.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just uploaded HSG 3AD Savage Struggle to the Scenario Depot. This is the most historical scenario I have ever done.

In some cases I know the number of rounds individual tanks fired during the engagement and the names of almost every crew member of every tank in this fight. The map is accurate too and is made from a topo map, drawings and photos of the village at the time of the fight.

So if you are at all interested in historical fights this one is right up your alley. This is a very strange fight on top of all of that. I have a hard time envisioning the Germans making this attack.

Enjoy! :D

We tried to make OSF as accurate as possible... I remember spending about 2 months work (in the evenings & weekends) with mostly 6 men at a time, 400 forum posts and 50 e-mails, countless bottles of alcohol and cigarettes (with grassmods sometimes - depending on the country), 3x OS crash & reinstallation, 1 fried graphic card... for only 1 scenario!

Even create applied graphic mods especially for the accurate scenery... Translating original documents and magazines... etc...etc...etc...pffffffffff ;)

Nils