Sending Naval Units to the Fifth Dimension

Bill101

Alexander and myself found a new bug this last week, after one of the Royal Navy's carriers went missing while protecting Denmark from a German invasion.

You can try this yourselves by setting up a pbem game where the allies have Copenhagen while the Germans have a corps just south of the German-Danish border. You must have FOW on for this to work, and starting with an allied turn will make it quicker.

In the allied turn, move an allied naval unit into the hex west of Copenhagen. In the Axis turn rush the German corps nearest to the Danish border for Copenhagen, et voila, the naval unit is not there!

The report screen of strengths and losses will be updated to reflect the lost naval unit.

It only takes a minute, and if you replay it you will see that if you move the corps anywhere else the battleship will still exist.

Friendly Fire has tried this out and it also works at Suez, though the good news is that Hubert doesn't think that this will be a problem in SC2 as things will be coded differently.

Here are some screen shots from the game where we discovered it. These are two versions of the same Axis turn. In the first picture my German corps has rushed for Copenhagen and as a result the allied player has lost their carrier (which the Axis player never even saw), while in the second picture the carrier remains because we moved our corps one hex less.

There are slight dissimilarities in the numbers of German Corps sent to Denmark because I was confused and trying to find the carrier that Alex had reported missing.

Denmark1.gif

Denmark2.gif

Fortunately (or unfortunately for me!) the result of this game is already clear, but I'd hate for anyone to lose a naval unit this way during a game where it's a close run thing.

[ January 02, 2006, 03:46 AM: Message edited by: Bill101 ]

@Bill101 --- Yep, this was found awhile back when I was playing Liam smile.gif I lost a 2-star Battleship there at a key moment. Congrats on finding this. The question would be, are there any other hexes which does this? I'm guessing the straight in Turkey? Don't know, haven't tested it.