Towards a better map editor...

I've been plugging away at converting my topos into CMBO maps. I've tried MappingMission and it was pretty good, excellent really when you factor in the price smile.gif , but what it really needs is an ability to natively export CM maps.

I'd really like to start-up an open-source map editor project (hopefully with participation of Pyewacket and the author of MappingMission). I think an active open-source collaboration could give the community (and BigTime Software for that matter) a much better solution for creating maps.

The problem is, without the file format specifications for the various flavours of CM it isn't going to go anywhere.

Is there anyone out there at all who has details about the binary format of the CM files? Are any of the developers of CM listening in?

Hmmm just found the original discussion about this in the forum archives.... seems the answer then was "forget it".

Still, I think it's a good idea. I understand the cheating issue around releasing the file format but there must be someway around that...

How about the developers make a 1-way converter to go from MappingMission to CM files... it would be a big help and wouldn't require releasing any proprietary information...

[ January 26, 2005, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Almaniac ]