AAR SC Z-League: Zappsweden (Axis) vs Terif (Allies).

zappsweden

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

September 15, 1946:

Obviously the conditions change over time for the Siberians. Finally they were transfered. But many turns too late. Axis is standing near Urals and Caucasus now.

Another strange thing: siberians were divided: the combat units appeared in the Urals, the Hqs in the caucasus, to make them even more ineffective.

[ June 28, 2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Terif ]

Siberian transfer depends on a lot of factors, relative strength of Russian units vs. German units, supply path situation etc., coupled with some of the better known geographic triggers.

The idea behind Siberian transfer was to only have it triggered under the right situation, not too early and not at all if the circumstances warrant it etc. In general it should be as a result of the combat situation, this way (it was hoped) for the most part it can help to create an ebb and flow on the eastern front and simulate some of the tension.

Either way I realize it may not be perfect and it will be something to consider tweaking for future games etc.

Btw, great AAR and I've thoroughly enjoyed the gripping detail smile.gif

Hubert

Liam:

Perhaps that was it. But it seems only the number counts, not the relation to Axis. They had three times as much units as Russia at the time they approached Moskov.

But now they have reduced russians to only a small amount, less enough to receive Siberians ;) .

November 10, 1946:

Now its time for a defence to delay the fall of Russia until the stalemate in mid 1947. It makes also a lot of fun battling against a much stronger force and give a good fight, even if the game cant be won any more.

German air kills one Hq after the other. Hqs are entrenched in the mountains, but with 15 airfleets Axis still manages to kill one Hq per turn (each strike does 0-1, sometimes 2 damage). Only 3 Hqs left. Ground battles around Voronezh.

March 1947:

7 Axis airfleets with LR Lv4 are constantly attacking Timoshenko in his mountain hex in the Caucasus. but he survived the attacks in the last 3 turns. To kill it they need more experience (all was lost in the interception battles before) or 3-4 additional airfleets. Axis only conquers 2-3 hexes each turn, cause they try to kill the Hq.

May 11, 1947:

Stalemate Victory for Axis.

2 armies and a Hq landed in USA and took a mine. Germany has 3 carriers now. But there would have been enough corps to delay (or kill) them some turns.

[ June 28, 2003, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Terif ]

Outstanding reading. I congratulate Zappsweden for defeating Terif for the first time.

And even with the ending of the unbreakable winning streak, Terif continued to post reports and explain moves with the openness and graciousness he has displayed during his victories.

I salute both of you.

This has been a great game. I used a very risky tactic this time, at least against an experienced player smile.gif . Without italian gambit(house rule ZL) it is very difficult and dangerous to conquer and hold Iraq as Allies. But no risk no fun smile.gif .

Now this has been my first defeat at all. The streak has an end: 193 TCP/IP wins against human opponents (27 of them against Zappsweden ;) )+ some PBEM. I can say: it also makes a lot of fun fighting on the loosing side smile.gif .

Yes it was a great game. When Russia was in Sweden it looked quite bad for Axis. Allied had the MPP advantage then. When the severely delayed long-range came, I gained the upper hand. Game after game it proves that Rockets are not to be used. Terif used 5 chits on them plus bought 6 of them. All that money could have been extra air. When I attacked him first time 15 vs 12 air, I could duel 12 vs 12 and then use my last 3 to finish off his damaged ones. That really gave me the edge.

The poor long-range tech made me very frustrated. Since I had superior air numbers I wanted long-range to be able to exploit it fully. When he destroyed 2 of my air in Denmark I thought i was going to lose again. Had he taken Norway I think he would have won.

It was a big step operating all my air from Russia to Denmark and Riga but since further advance in Russia would have triggered the Siberians I thought a stalled offensive was not so bad. I was not ready for Siberians. I did not have many armies and tanks in Russia at that time.

Terif has a psychological edge over me. I was not sure of winning until I took Moscow because all too many times I have looked good, made a stupid mistake and lost it all.

[ June 28, 2003, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Yes, the war was decided in Sweden/Norway. If Zapp had not operated all airfleets back, he had probably lost. Dividing his forces would have been deadly, then I would have been able to kill one airfleet after the other.

When he got LR too, it was over for Allies. In Sweden there was no place to hide or step some hexes back. Therefore he could kill allied airfleets directly there and he had superior numbers after concentrating his forces.

Rockets are usefull if air superiority is achieved. If I had attacked Axis highly experienced armies with airfleets, allied airfleets would have lost very very much (expected losses 5-1 in favor of the army). No sense in attacking them with air. Therefore I had to develope rockets. But at that time Axis had already the mpp advantage and there was no chance for Allies any more. Both rockets and air superiority was not possible. But better to try something that fails than to sit on the back and only waiting for the end . I love the battles smile.gif .

[ June 28, 2003, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Terif ]

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

Siberian transfer depends on a lot of factors,

Yeah i never got to post this but one game i played TERIF i snuck a size 4 finish out of supply corp 4 hexes north of moscow trying to force him to defend his resources and bam the entire siberian army pops up from one size 4 finish corp!!! I was soo disheartend i conceded. The conditions need to be spelled out or changed so that there is a minimum "threat level" that must be achieved. There is no way the entire eastern defenses would have been called in for a out of supply cut off minor countries corp unit.