No Russian Partisans

CanuckGamer

I just completed a game as the Allies in which not a single Russian partisan appeared. According to my opponent, you merely have to garrison every city and put a ZOC on every mountain and swamp hex. Seems rather unrealistic to me so I hope that is changed for SC II as the partisans seem to be very important to the Allies in SC.

CanuckGamer

If the smallest land unit in the game is a corps, and each Russian city was garrisoned, along with all of those ZOC's, it means your adversary used a lot more troops to control them than the Germans did in WWII.

Of course there wasn't any partisan activity, how many hundreds of thousands of troops did he have in the rear areas suppressing them?

The result was very, very realistic!

It is unrealistic that the Axis player knows that partisans will only appear in certain terrain. The nature of partisans and guerilla warfare is appearing where you least expect them and hit and run tactics. My opponent told me that he used about 13 corps to suppress the arrival of partisans. Of course he used Axis satellite units whenever possible. I think the elimination of Russian partisans outweighs the loss of these 13 corps. In SC, Russian partisans have a strategic impact on the game as they not only reduce the supply of front line Germans but reduce the MPP value of cities which also negates the option of a strategic move to or adjacent to the city. This is probably unrealistic as well.

CanuckGamer

13 corps with each corps = between 20-50,000 troops, we're talking upwards of a quarter of a million troops behind the lines with no other task than to suppress partisans.

We went through the partisan and terrain subject a few times during the past couple of years, it can probably be found easily in search.

If 260,000 -> 500,000+ security troops wouldn't have been enough to keep them under control then there's no point in invading the USSR.

And yes, there were certain kinds that they operated out of; the marshes, forsests and hills. Later in the war, 1944 mostly, they emerged in large groups as the Germans withdrew from Russia, but prior to that clear terrain had to be avoided except for small groups usually working close to the front lines.

Arngrim, you don't need to watch the forests.

Naturally we have to accept some limitations on realism in SC, but I do feel slightly uneasy with anti-partisan warfare as it is in SC1, as at the moment you can use a dozen corps, all of which might only be at strength 1, to prevent any partisans appearing.

Also, if Yugo partisans appear, kill them with air and the hexes they were in will remain khaki. I believe I'm right in thinking that as long as you don't move any of your troops into those hexes then they will never produce any partisans again.