Tin Can Alley/Bleeding and Mopping Up/Heights - Race for the Heights

Hello all

MOST RECENT ADDITIONS AT BOTTOM OF THREAD :cool:

Due to some issues at the Scenario Depot, some of my scenarios appear to be un-downloadable.

The following have been up for a while at The Proving Grounds. Check them out there if you are interested.

Steppe Pillbox

http://www.the-proving-grounds.com/scenario_details.html?command=search&db=scenarios.db&eqskudatarq=527

This is a tiny battle with a simple objective... destroy a single Russian pillbox. This is the final version. Earlier version proved too difficult. Made some minor tweaks and it is much better.

Rear Guard (AI)

http://www.the-proving-grounds.com/scenario_details.html?command=search&db=scenarios.db&eqskudatarq=528

Another small battle. German rear guard units must set ambush for approaching Russian armor. Very few lightly equipped Germans make for a challenge. Setting is the Carpathian Mountains in Romania. A separate head-to-head version available is available.

Combined Arms, South to Kiev

http://www.the-proving-grounds.com/scenario_details.html?command=search&db=scenarios.db&eqskudatarq=534

This is an operation 6 battles, 20 turns each. Early war – August 1941. German combined arms group is attempting to reach important crossroads town. Action takes place in the mostly open country on approach to town and finally outskirts of town itself must be breached. Spirited Russian armor and infantry try to stop the German advance. Starts as a Panzer prowl and gets tougher as infantry positions are encountered.

Bendery Bridgehead

http://www.the-proving-grounds.com/scenario_details.html?command=search&db=scenarios.db&eqskudatarq=545

Russians must breakout of a narrow bridgehead and secure high ground. This is a very tough start for the Russians (hopefully) as the bridgehead comes under artillery bombardment. This is a bigger battle as Russian forces are feed into the bridgehead in the opening phase. Historical situation based on the opening phase of the Russian campaign to clear the Southern front and break into Romania. Meant to be played as the Russians.

Czech Uprising, Dukla Pass

XX removed old link XX

Semi-historical, based on Czech uprising in Sept. 1944 that was supported by a Russian airdrop (of a Czech Airborne group). One of the goals was to take a heavily defended strategic mountain pass from the rear. This was a main route for the Germans supporting their troops in Poland. The action takes place in the area behind the pass as partisans and airborne attempt to seize towns and block the path of German reinforcements destined for the front. German Security units must hold the towns and clear the roads. Fights are broken down into a series of smaller unit actions at first. Both sides regroup (depending on success of German defense) and a larger action develops. Certain German troops must exit for victory points. Designed for Axis vs. AI, will work as head-to-head but I have not tested it. (This is still under development – although extensively tested myself -- and playtesting feedback appreciated. ---> PT'ing DONE -- THIS IS FINAL 3/05... would still like to hear of any H2H games, should be a good match.)

Keeping with the spirit of The Proving Grounds (www.the-proving-grounds.com), any and all feedback on my scenarios (and everyone else’s!) is greatly appreciated. Thanks to the crew of TPG for the valuable input on the above scenarios.

Have fun! smile.gif

Bannon

[ May 27, 2005, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Bannon DC ]

• 3 months later...

I've updated the Dukla Pass scenario.

Note: new link ---

http://www.the-proving-grounds.com/scenario_details.html?command=search&db=scenarios.db&eqskudatarq=671

Thanks to playtesters for valuable feedback. Version 1.1 is the latest version.

Changed name to "Dukla Pass -- Slovak Uprising" since the action really takes place in Slovakia rather than the Czech Republic. Lots of fun... different from most head-on battles.

Came across a very good web site worth checking out: http://www.duklapass.org. Good discription of the lead up, battle, and aftermath of the 3-4 month long uprising which occured in the Fall of 1944.

• 2 months later...

Two new scenarios added. Small number of units, small map. These feature a reverse situation on the same map. Good practice for working with artillery... both on the giving and receiving end. smile.gif

Late war situation. Russian's goal is to advance to the next major town. They have encounted various levels of resistance throughout the advance. Scouts report activity near the bridge in the town ahead. Will the Germans scatter at the first shots... or will they fight?

Artillery Sword

Best played as the Germans or as 2 player. Tested for 2 player play and was good close game.

Artillery Shield

Best played as the Russians. Fewer turns than "Artillery Sword" and Germans have more units. Other minor differences.

Comments welcomed here or at TPG. Have fun.

• 1 month later...

Hello all --

Combined Arms, South to Kiev is now at SD. (This is an Operation - see description above.)

News to me -- maybe not all of you ---> if you have trouble downloading scenarios at the Depot, what you need to do is right-click on the download button and select "save target as". Easy. For some reason, many of my scenarios have trouble DL'ing.

But, the Admiral has fixed the DL'ing problem with this Operation. Has also received some good reviews. :D :cool: So go get it!

Let me know how you do. If anyone takes this on as a two player game, give me some feedback. Could be a lot of fun.

I've got more stuff at TPG.

Have fun,

Bannon smile.gif

[ May 27, 2005, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Bannon DC ]

Tin Can Alley

This battle has been added to the Scenario Depot. Meeting engagement. Early war and light tank fans will have fun with this one! Name comes from the old arcade or boardwalk shooting gallery... I still see them from time to time.

A column of Russian light tanks ("Tin Cans") has made a suprise attack into the German rear area. The high command will not divert units from the armored spearhead so you must deal with this threat with reserves on hand. A column of anti-tank guns and supporting units has been ordered to set up a blocking position at the crossroads ahead. Destroy this threat to the German supply lines! Play as Germans vs. AI.

Thanks to playtesters at TPG. smile.gif

UPDATE: Fixed problem with DL'ing at the SD. Go get it! :D

[ May 27, 2005, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Bannon DC ]

• 3 weeks later...

Heights - Race for the Heights

Just added this one to the Scenario Depot.

Setting: Heavily urban map. Steep terrain. Maze-like (but not crazy) street layout. Map size is 960 x 720 which is not very big. "Medium" by CM standards. Play as Americans. CMAK.

Situation: Fictional. Americans have broken through the German line and have organized a light armored task force to exploit. Arriving on the outskirts of the city, they realize they have taken the defending Germans by surprize. Now, they must use a combination of speed and brute force to achieve their objectives.

This is one of three unrelated battles based on the "Heights" map. Other two are under development and/or being playtested.

Thanks to playtesters at TPG. Comments welcomed.

UPDATED NOTE -- Fixed problem with DL'ing at the SD. Go get it! :D

Have fun,

Bannon

[ May 27, 2005, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Bannon DC ]

Bleeding and Mopping Up

AI and H2H versions.

This Operation is a Champs vs. Chumps contest. Raw Russian force is tasked with mopping up a pocket of fanatical Germans. The Russian force will earn their combat experienced by being "bleed."

This is a mini-operation in terms of the size of the battlefield. Just 800m x 800m. Urban setting. Mostly infantry supported by a few tanks and a little artillery. Difficult terrain obstacle and handling raw troops will challenge your tactical skills. Russian casualties can be measured by companies if all does not go well. :eek:

In playtesting the head-to-head version (H2H), this was one of the toughest battles I've played. Good challenge for both attacker and defender. AI version should be a challenge... but you will have to let me know how it goes. ;)smile.gif

Feedback welcomed.

Available only at TPG for now.

Bleeding and Mopping Up - AI

Bleeding and Mopping Up - H2H

Bannon smile.gif