Vietnam Scenarios

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's mod,

Vietnam USA early war uniforms. Same BFC late war uniforms as my VN USA GREEN, for early war dated scenarios. Includes Mitchell helmet covers for all but tank crew.

Back up your files. Use with McMMM.

Hans is working on scenarios using Afrika terrain to get the palm trees and grasses on screen without mods.

Use these USA and Andrew's Italian tropical and German DAK faded for a good effect.

New mod, at cmmods

Vietnam Jungle Green for CMAK Afrika.

Combination of dark green palm trees from CMBO Pacific mod, Ed's summer trees and marsh, Juju's treebases, BFC hedge.

Grapevines replaced by bushes made from one of Ed's trees.

Back up your files. Use with McMMM for scenarios using East Afrika, North Afrika, All Combined early war with palm trees.

Thanks to MikeT and the Pacific mod group, Ed Kinney, Juju and Hans.

Two more little ones

Vietnam M60 LMG for the BAR team. Includes gun, gunrack and window bmps. Window made from Mark Walker's Locknload boardgame counter. Available from Shrapnel games. ASL style with simple rules.

Gunrack bmp will also appear when a squad contains a BAR.

Vietnam user interface maps. Contains all 5 maps.

Hans' latest at TSD

Small Battles, Search and Destroy

Version 1

Length 24 Variable

Size Small

Date October 1945

Region Other

Axis German

Allies American

Brief Description November 1966

Bravo Company 2nd Battalion 18th Infantry, 2nd Brigade, 1st Infantry Division conducts a 'search and destroy' mission in South Vietnam near the Cambodian border against suspected Viet Cong and North Vietnamese support bases.

----------

Good vs AI fight. I had to replay more than once and try different strategies before I could win.

I had a look at them, they'll do fine. :D In the meantime, how about the US armour? I seem to remember a advanced Sherman-type-tank from watching Full Metal Jacket, and the M4A3(76)W HVSS Sherman 'Easy Eight' and M24 Chaffee fit in with the Vietnam scenery. I've already got the M113 mod (I know about that from playing Operation Flashpoint).

That brochure said something about using Chaffees somewhere, so that's fine. The two HVSS Shermans (76.2mm medium tank and 105mm close support tank) are the ones I'll be using until any others become available. I'm well into making a Vietnam operation, and I already have a scenario made, for which I require playtesters. smile.gif Please.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I now have a large amount of Vietnam scenarios and only a few are actually any good.

While doing GCSE Geography I came across a map for an African village called Aminbhavi (it was a case study for some kind of French charity helping third world countries), asked if I could borrow the map, and made a CMAK scenario out of it (East Africa, British motor rifle and CS tanks versus Italian light infantry). Today I found the scenario, realised it would make a good Vietnam scenario, and swapped the British for the Americans and added all my VN mods.

It's quite good. I'll playtest it a bit more on my own (vs. AI and hotseat :( ), then I'd be grateful if someone else would help playtest it properly. I also need a Vietnamese town name, since 'Aminbhavi' is not very Asian-sounding.

M113s rock. I'll be concentrating on one part of the battle in the playback mode when I'll hear massed 12.7mm MGs going off in the background and Italian death rattles (as opposed to Vietcong death rattles). It brings a tear to my eye. :D

Oh, and the M48 (the MBT I saw in Full Metal Jacket) is armed with a 90mm cannon, a flexible 12.7 MG and a bow-mounted .50 cal MG, with approx. 100mm upper hull armour. I thought a Churchill CS tank (the model with the 95mm gun) might model that better than a Sherman. Any suggestions?