Newbie in need of ideas

waysloppy

Run!!!

Seriously,

* use the defensive terrain to entrench, like behind rivers or swamps.

* move your airfleets to the east untill you can face up to the Luftwaffe

* research AT, it's important that your line holds, gotta stop those panzers.

* build 2 or more defensive lines starting from the Dnjepr river, Russia can trade alot of ground for time, the further the Germans come the worse their supply situation will be and ofcourse there will be partisans.

* build up a strong counterattack force with a good HQ behind your line to exploit any weakness once you think you're ready to attack.

* play a good human opponent, look for the PBEM league, lots of good players who can tell you alot more than I can.

Welcome to the forums ! smile.gif

Thanks for the ideas. I have another question that I am wondering about. Do you think reinforcing troops is more important than letting them gain experience. I am playing the demo but one of my friends thinks its better to just let the experience go up so you only reinforce up to 8 or 9

Your troops take less damage if they have more readiness. And strength of the unit is a factor in readiness.

Thus a strength 10 unit takes less damage from same attack than a strength 5 unit, if other factors, including luck, are similar. (Of course if the attack/defense is very weak, then both could end up having the same anticipated result due to rounding)

Also, buying a new unit costs ~double the reinforcement costs.

I do not know, but I have always thought that the experience is not stepped (scales down/up without steps) even if the screen shows the bars in three steps each. Anybody know this?

[ February 19, 2005, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: willebra ]

I haven't played in a long time. But You will have no proplem getting you units enough experience!

The main thing with Russia is being able to operate units. keep at least a thin trail of red hexes along the whole of Russia. When the Germans cut clean through it, focus on getting it back. move the units that have been reduced, to the cities, the more they are down the farther back they go. let them entrench. dont reinforce them until the enemy gets close, Watch out! Buy HQ you really need HQ's! Chances are the germans will break through.( guide then toward Stalingrad for there break through). When they do just keep your flanks strong, let them come in where you want them too, then build up on your flanks and when the time is right cut them off! patience is the key. you will not be able to do much at first. when It comes to reinforcing just go up as high as you can until it loses a medal or ribbion. Exaple; 3 factors run them up until you see one loss in experience say 7 then drop it back down to 6 where there is no loss. Half a ribbon I would not worry about. full medal hurts to lose. put your Armies in cities. I am not too sure how the experience thing will work I try to do it that way but never have :eek: It seems they really obliterate your tanks and air so put them in the rear. I have often went for Iraq with great suckcess! takes a few turns. I think four in all. I just use my Armor and air with a HQ. Must watch out where they start out otherwise they will not be able to move through the Moutians. or just use your air and Armor to go after finland. make It fast you will need them on the front soon enough.