Scenario Compatibility

solops

Originally posted by Splinty:

Unfortunately no, the CMBO engine can't do the CMAK or CMBB scenario and vice-versa. And Because CMBB abd CMAK are different theaters, they can't swap either. But many of the CMBO scenarios have been redone for CMAK. You can get many great scenarios for all three games at www.derkessel.org, www.ns9.superhosts/~dragonlair.net/combatmission, or www.bootsandtracks.com.

All of these sites come highly recommended.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by solops:

Thanks all.

Splinty, it does not sound as if there is any reason to get CMBB if scenarios have been re-done for CMAK, unless you want to pay $35 for a manual.

I Hate PDF manuals and would have happily paid $5 or $10 for a printed copy in CMAK.

Different OOB's - east front vs italian/mediterranian/N. Africa. Depends on where and with whom you want to fight your battles.

Originally posted by solops:

I am bemused, amused and confused. Are you saying that the CMBB scenarios that have been ported over to CMAK play differently than they do in CMBB?

How exactly do you think that Eastern Front scenarios made in CMBB are going to be converted over to the Med and CMAK without there being a difference?

There are no T-34's in the Med. There are no King Tigers in the Med. Stalingrad is not in the Med.

NO! CMAK does not convert into the Eastern Front. I'm not exactly sure how you think it can.

CMAK does a fair job of allowing certain scenarios to be converted from CMBO. But there are limitations to those conversions. Not all of the vehicle types found in CMBO are in CMAK.

Hope this helps.

Ah, interesting answer. I thought that the maps were converted and the data for the vehicles was either included in the scenario (moddable) or part of the program's database. Your answer implies that not only is the latter true, but that the database is hardcoded and cannot be modded. Scenarios can only be created using the data included in that incarnation of the game.

If that is true, I suppose that environmental variables would be hardcoded as well, making AK "feel" different from Russia.

I would hope that this design decision is abandoned for CM2. If the datafiles used by the engine were instead separate and "open", then the only updates necessary would be to the game engine. Then the community could mod environment and troops/equipment like nuts for all theatres.

Solops here's the scoop:

CMBB is USSR against Germany.

CMAK is Brits and Amis vice the Germans.

Totally different games.

CMBO was western front, but it really is a generation older than the other two.

The "mods" only allow painting of the tanks amd uniforms to change. The user can not mod a weapon or weapon type.

I would bet the CMBO to CMAK conversions are done manually.

Originally posted by General Colt:

Solops here's the scoop:

CMBB is USSR against Germany.

CMAK is Brits and Amis vice the Germans.

Totally different games.

Yes, snow and cold versus sand and heat; different tactical doctrine, etc. If the game engines are the same then making the databases for troops and equipment and environmental variables (i.e. sand, snow, doctrine) "open" rather than hardcoded in the main program would allow us to not only convert scenarios but create accurate scenarios for any theater using a single game. Sand, snow, hot, cold, Japanese, British, Soviet, French, whatever....all of that could be changed. The program pulls the variables that make the Soviets what they are from somewhere, variables including the way they move and fight to how they look and what they fight with. Maps, terrain effects and weather effects come from somewhere, too. Stick those things in files that we can tinker with in CM2 instead of in the main program or in a closed file.

Yeah, that is the whole point...flexibility, not that I care about intentionally fudging Shermans (why bother to cheat yourself?). I see nothing but plusses for single player. There may be cheating issues for MP unless some kind of sumcheck or data match was implemented. Many other games manage this, so can CM/CM2.

And it opens up a whole world for scenarios, both What If and Historical.

Originally posted by rune:

Won't be done. Would only be hours till someone changed the data of a sherman to have more armour then a King Tiger. For this and other reasons, the data inside CMX2 will not be modable.

Rune

But will there be options for sandbag armour, bolted on plates, or the use of spare track, to name just three field expedients. These would, could and should change the in game data. By 1945, spare track was almost universal in Canadian Sherman units. The effects on the armour may be debatable, as would the effects on the drivetrain and ingame speed performance, but they were very real. No game to date has addressed this subject, would be great to see CMX2 let the players "tweak" this kind of detail.

I'm still of the view that it should be allowed to modify units in scenarios, like you could do already in the original Steel Panthers. The gamey bastards only ever play QB's anyway, and even now you can cheat just as much by editing a scenario before you start playing it with someone.

So what is there to lose, and how does that compare to all the gains that would follow?