The Grandmaster Event: (Best of 5 games). GAME #1 Terif (Axis) vs Zapp, ZAPP WON

zappsweden

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was only the usual delay any aggressive french defence can cause. RAI costed Allies a lot of mpps (1:1 exchange) and a carrier - so with a corps defence Allies would have been better.

Normally UK would have been dead after this mpp drain and a siege was already planed - but lv 1 and then 2 jets vs lv 0 german ones saved their butts ;) .

Now it is waiting for some jet tech to throw Allies out of France - Axis will kill some russians in the meantime... smile.gif .

However, game will be continued tomorrow (Sunday 10 or 11 am ?). Today no time to play.

Terif is over optimistic. He is in fact struggling.

The facts of the case are the following. If I would use a corps defence, means I would buy more corps ofcourse. That means those corps also cost alot of MPP, like my intercepts do.

UK have only bought 2 corps the entire game. FF Army was in UK after France fell in case Germany decided to Sea-Lion. I watched carefully until Axis invaded Norway, then I decided to start buying chits instead of saving up MPP for Axis invasion.

Also, there was no air duels in the mid-game despite we both had L0 jets. I had L0 Jets when USA join, no one battled the skies. Why? Had Terif really decided on Sea-Lion he would have softened them up first using air superiority and hopefully drain more UK MPP.

Germany had no navy after fall of France. I had Carriers at strength 10, 10 plus another 6 ships at 10, 10, 10, 7, 7, 6. smile.gif

My carrier loss came when the Axis strength 7 sub dived in thre Baltic and instead he could attack me with it next turn. Normally, I would have been at 3 carriers. At leist the carrier death was an exchange where Terif sacrificed one high strength cruiser.

Allies was NOT overspent. After Fall of France, I had FF army, Malta FF air to be sold and UK corps in Brest that had to be killed first. Allies COULD have been overspent if they had dueled constantly in the mid-game. I would not have done that, instead would have backed off after 2-3 turns if I met heavy air resistance. Since I did not, I chose to practice on Antwerp. smile.gif

So, when was this sea-lion supposed to happen, After Paris or Late after taking Norway and Vichy?

(Axis took Norway in May 1941 and USA joined in June 1941!) redface.gif

[ June 11, 2005, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

@Rambo:

Yes, with RAI a lot depends on luck and this is not good for a strategy game in my opinion. Nevertheless it is no real problem to beat it if you know how, but you have to be careful not making mistakes - one misclick in turn 1/2 and you can be in trouble.

@Zapp:

Waiting to continue the game - ready for battle ?

Yep - revenge for the try to assasinate Rundstedt smile.gif . After all 6 russian AFs got intercepted and some fought before too it was time to reduce their numbers somewhat, especially since Russia put its 7th AF into service.

Riga from 3 sides under attack, Minsk entrenchment reduced by some initial attacks too.

USA shows AT 1 in the west and conquers 2 more hexes in France.

June 28, 1942:

Riga now surounded from 4 sides and cut off - russian air retreated - only one intercept from Leningrad. Minsk entrenchment further reduced.

Still no jets for Germany (5 chits).

In the west Axis uses a 2-3 hexes deep corps defence line.

August 9, 1942:

Allies still 2 hexes away from Bordeaux - still no jets for Germany. UK corps surivives the german counterattacks. Some russian corps killed in the east - Russians retreat a bit, german armies approaching the new front. Central mine under light attacks to remove entrenchment for next turn.

August 23, 1942:

Allies reach the outskirts of Bordeaux - half a dozen german and italian armies entrenched around the mountains and waiting...

Russian central mine conquered, german forces near Leningrad and Smolensk use Blitzkrieg tactics: Army group north moving south from Leningrad, Army group center meets them in the middle by attacking from Smolensk area. Several russian corps destroyed, 2 corps cut off near the swamps.

September 6, 1942:

Unbelievable: Russia develops Jets 1 - Germany still at lv 0 despite now nearly 2 years researching with 5 chits...each turn a chance of up to 35% to reach the next level during more than 25 turns...this is a nice probability... ;)

Nevertheless, Axis forces on the march:

5 corps and a russian army killed in return for the german army.

Axis still superior in numbers and mpps/turn.

In the West Allies are busy with Bordeaux (2 hexes around it conquered) - so Axis decides to go in the offensive in eastern France:

Brussel and french mine cut off, Paris under attack from 3 sides (Bradley HQ in the city reduced to str 7), 3 strength points reduced from a UK AF near Paris.

October 4, 1942:

Russian army + several corps destroyed as retaliation for a killed hungarian corps. German armies in the outskirts of Smolensk.

Since germany has no jets, AFs are cheap to buy and it builds a new one...

In the West Allies retreat HQ + AF and move US armies/corps to Paris, Axis forces retreat to their old defence line Bordeaux, mountains, french mine, LC.