New CMAK Probe @ Proving Grounds

I just uploaded a new CMAK Allied Probe at the Proving grounds here.

It is called "WBRP - Take the Rhino by the Horn".

Here's the Overall Briefing:

TITLE: WBRP - Take the Rhino by the Horn

TYPE: Allied Probe, Canadian & Heer

DATE: October 23, 1944

REGION: "Italy" for the Netherlands

TIME: Mid Day

WEATHER: Overcast

GROUND: Wet

TEMP.: Cool

WIND: Still (ENE)

TURNS: 22+

HISTORICAL: Semi

AUTHOR: Brent Pollock (e-mail: b3b@telusplanet.net)

MAP CREDIT:

MAPLE LEAF ROUTE: SCHELDT (Copp & Vogel) & http://www.dewoonomgeving.nl/index.cfm

BEST PLAYED AS: Two Player only

BACKGROUND: Antwerp is under Allied control but the approaches remain under the watchful eyes of German naval gunners stationed to the northwest on Walcheran Island and the Beveland Peninsula. The Allied "Operation Suitcase" has been formulated to sever the overland supply route between these strongpoints and the mainland by seizing the terrain at the choke point; the Woensdrecht & Bergen-op-Zoom area. This area is defended by the 85. Infanterie-Division (part of battle group "Chill") and rag tag units that escaped earlier Allied assaults on Antwerp. In the eastern end of this sector, the Belgian town of Esschen is taken on October 22, a result of a surprise night march by two Canadian regiments. This opens the eastern flank of Bergen-op-Zoom to units approaching northwest via the dutch pine forest plantation, Wouwsche Plantage.

This scenario depicts the clash that develops 2.5 km WNW of Esschen between a kampfgruppe from 85. Infanterie-Division (counterattacking Esschen) and lead elements from the Governor General's Foot Guards & Lake Superior regiments (probing towards Wouwsche Plantage). They meet in the dense pine plantation, which is also characterised by sand dunes and narrow dirt tracks.

Design notes:

SPOILER

This is a conversion of my ASL scenario Take the Rhino by the Horn, which I designed about a decade ago now. A CMBO version was done by Michael Dorosh, who also did CMBO conversion of my other scenarios.

The Wouwsche Plantage area is typical of the Netherlands and Belgium in that it is low-lying and tends to be damp. Atypically, it is rife with pine trees due to the plantation. It is also sandy, and I have made use of CMAK's "Sand" terrain setting to depict this. Although most of this campaign was fought in the mud, the descriptions seem to state that the terrain was wet, but not muddy, especially along the roads; hence I've gone for Wet rather than Mud. There was no rain that day, although it had been raining the previous few days. Also, wind was mild, but I've set it to Still to represent the windbreak effect of the pine forest. The clash seems to have occurred at mid-day, although the German units were collected "on the morning of the 23rd".

Some German units have been listed as Weakend or Unfit to represent the White Bread troops in 15. Armee.

The Canadians lost about 20 tanks and some Carriers whilst KOing at least one German SPG and rounding up 37 POWs.

Brent Pollock

August 21, 2004