--OT-- CPU is running hot.

I have a PIII 600 and it seems to be running hot. i am getting the warning tone in the evenings after my cpu has ran for a few hours and is under heavy load.

Does anyone happen to have the URL to the site where I can verify its temperature? Also a D/L of some type of cooling program would be very helpful.

I clean and lube both fans regularly.

Hi Abbott,

I had a similar problem. I was playing around with the mb and for whatever reason, after I put the fan back on the cpu, the cpu started overheating.

The solution was to go down to your local shop and get some thermal grease. It works great between the cpu and the fan. Result, no nore overheating.

Guest KwazyDog

Ok guys, Im going to lock this one up to be fair to others as its off topic, but please feel free to post it over at the tech support or the general forums.

I can offer some advice which may help though. Firstly, as MantaRay suggested, try it without the case on, that can either make a huge difference or none, depending on the case layout. Also, consider placing a new fan in the case pointing at the processor and directly blowing air across it.

Lastly if you feel comfortable in the bios, try reducing the cpu voltage slightly. That made a huge difference for me, though keep an eye out for any odd occupancies which may be a side effect from the lower voltage.

Hope that helps smile.gif

Dan