Testers needed for map converter

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ye I know, but I would like something that, for instance, replaced all tall pines with damaged heavy buildings. So that one could have full control over the placement. Also interested in burning terrain that can occure during combat but can't be placed in the editor.

Worked on second try. I copied a map into a file with existing units, and they showed up just fine on the map preview.

I expect the trick is to exit CM after reading the map and restart it before writing, and that having other applications open is less of a problem though I did close a good deal of them(I'm using WinXP). Why do I need to exit and reload CM?

Does your application need to copy into an empty, default map?

1. 'Why do I need to exit and reload CM?'

2. 'Does your application need to copy into an empty, default map?'

1. Isn't really neccessary. It works also when all 3 CM versions are open. But some guys could have problems with ATL TAB to switch back to map converter. E.g. when I am running CMAK and CMBB then I have to hit twice ( and very fast) ALT Tab to come back to windows. Otherwise I only switch between CMAK and CMBB.. So I recommended to have only one CM version open (for these guys who have problems with shortcuts anyway and don't like to experimenting.) The only thing one have to take care of that the mouse isn't over the tiles but the map when you leave CM with ALT Tab, if it is over the tiles you get an error.

2. No. You can overwrite any existing map. Either you overwrite the complete map (no matter if it's empty or not) or: There's also a feature included with which you can copy some terrain in a given area of the map. This means that you read a complete map, but write only a portion to a defined location. Another thing is to add or subtract a value from the elevation. e.g. you put some montains on a map and you now want to put another but higher montain on it. But the previous montains are 19 high. Then you could subtract e.g. 5 from all elevation figures, means the whole map is lower then (and the mountains are 14 at their highest point). This is just for designer who did some elevation mistakes in the beginning and to avoid that they have to lower the height everywhere manually.

Europe: 'Ye I know, but I would like something that, for instance, replaced all tall pines with damaged heavy buildings. So that one could have full control over the placement. Also interested in burning terrain that can occure during combat but can't be placed in the editor.'

Complicated question:

1. You can replace every tile with another tile of your choice. You have to manipulate the conersion files for this (an instruction is in the help).

2. You can only replace tiles with those in the map editor given. I.e. you can't place damaged houses on the map (there's no tile for that). But you can replace houses in a scenario with burning houses, or (quit strange smile.gif ) river with burning trees. So in short: this tool can only do what you can do manually, nothing more.

I just released a beta version of ROQC that allows the user to use your tool to import maps. I've been missing out on this feature for a long time.

I added a spreadsheet page in ROQC that does an automatic match for you, so you can easily find the best match to the parameters you rolled up - now I just need to expand the list of maps on this list, that is look up their size, terrain, setup zones etc.

Great work, Pyewacket. Thanks a lot for making this tool.

thanks Robert. I am also curious about your program...

by the way, I uploaded version 1.26. There're no big changes, but an error (occured in large operation maps) is fixed; was reported by desertfox. I didn't know that in operations the max width and!! height is 6000 for cmbb, 5000 for CMBO and CMAK 8000m. That depends on the parameters (west or north) you define..

It works like a charm. Many thanks Pyewacket, I was able to convert a number of my CMBO maps into CMAK-maps.

One question though. Just as for the conversion tables for the tiles, is it possible to replace the X,Y co-ordinates of the converted maps in order to change the orientation. iow. instead of having the map starting at the lower left corner, e.g.: X2(0)=X1(0), Y2(0)=Y1(0),

where X2 is the x-co-ordinate 20 m square of the converted map and Y1 is the x co-ordinate of the source map and Y2 and Y1 are the co-ordinates of the 20m squares of the resp. converted and source map .

Can you then transpose the map and starting at

X2(n)=X1(0), Y2(0)=Y1(0)

next step of the iteration should be then:

X2(n-1)=X1(1),Y2(0)=Y1(0)...

until

X2(0)=X1(n), Y2(n)=Y1(n)

inversing the orientation from W to E to E to W in above example?

Thanks

Pyewacket,

When I heard about this, I was ecstatic. I'm drooling to convert BO maps to AK. However, I've run into a problem. I have the special edition version of BO, which is version 1.12E, so your program won't work for me. Can something be done to make the special edition compatible?

I would also suggest, that when changing AK maps to the other games, the default for vineyards should be brush. I believe they're similar in cover and concealment and is better than changing to open ground.

I hope BO 1.12E can be added!

Hey Thanks! Pyewacket.

I downloaded immediately and tested from CMAK to CMAK.

And guess what... Something happened, we probably both didn't anticipate. The map is mirrored -which works great, but the orientation of the tiles is not inverted.

For woods, grain, water, rough, brush, etc... this is not important, but for road tiles and houses, this can make a difference.

e.g. a diagonal road tile from SE to NW is well transposed to the other side of the x- resp. y -axis, but it's orientation stays SE-NW.

Probably I have to fiddle with the tile conversion tables. But are there CMAK>CMAK conversion tables?

Hey, I can live with it, it asks only for some minor changes to the map most of the time and if necessary, I can do conversion CMAK >>CMBO/BB>>CMAK :D

Its still a great tool!

Come to think of it. I don't know how the programs works, but it look like some repetitive macro operating thing. Could it be applied also for giving orders in the game? Like plot waypoints for vehicle 1 ...copy waypoints to vehicle 2. You can already see, what I am getting at ... ;)