Role of black American soldiers?

After watching five hours of recent History Channel footage on WWII, I think I saw about seven seconds of footage of black Americans, and they were just debarking from a huge ship.

Was it was true that they grouped black soldiers together into their own units, or enforced some kind of racial separation? If so, was their duty similar to other units (i.e. varied dependent on location, skill, and experience) or did they tend to have more specific roles assigned to them?

Guest KwazyDog

Binkie just for you info there was a lot of info posted about this a couple of months back, so you might find a search useful wink.gif

Dan

Well, Binkie, since I've got alot of time on my hands right now(and lots of caffeine) I'll save you the time with a quick run down. First of all, during WWII the U.S. military was still segregated. Even some all black units had to have white officers. If anyone's still distressed about the fact the military was segregated at the time don't worry. Get schooled a bit in history and you'll learn that in a few years after WWII was the Korean War. Many military units by that time were integrated. Bullets really don't care what color you are...

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima