Want a scenario review?

CMBB "Winter Wonderland"

That scenario stinks! If the point of the scenario is to put Germans threw a meat grinder then the scenario works beside that it is almost pointless. If Germans set up on the very extreme foward positions they are in los of soviet mg foxholes and have 0 cover and plus can't move well do to the hill and blizzard. It's a complete slaughter.

Ok, so play again and setup in rear/middle area and approach carefully, order indirect fire on suspected (u already know where the ai sets up) Soviet positions. Take out the mgs and have several squads of Soviets open up on you from a few meters behind the MG positions (u can't see them because hiding/blizzard/night time).

If there is a way to repulse the Soviets I haven't found it. You can still win by just sneaking near the objective without tripping Soviet los and the game gives the Germans the flags, go figure.

If you play the Soviets you win no problem and after some pathetic German assaults the rest of the men just spend the duration of the game hiding.

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Lemme guess, frontal assault?

Try using the sighting distances to your advantage and gain the tree lined road between the objectives and hit from the flanks.

No. Not a frontal assault. I set up near the front and was under immediate mg fire. Game over.

Next game, I setup out of sight near edge of map and tried to manuver to outer edges of the map and sneak into the tree line and then flak their foxholed MGs using superior fire power. Took out the first MG foxholes only to be meet with serval Russian squads and mortor fire. Game over.

Next game, I setup out of sight then sneak up right where the ai can't see me yet (but I know where they are) and shoot "indirect" fire on their foxholed positions for several turns. When I think that they should be surpressed enough I assault only to find my men become exhausted after moving 10m and they stop right in view of the rested unhurt Russian MGs. Game over.

I have not found a hole in the Russians line of sight yet. If there is one it is only a "gamey" type scenario where there is a "trick" to winning.

Played as the Soviets....no problem total whoop'in of the Germans. Most of the time the Germans just feel content hiding in the blizzard will I sit there hitting the fast foward button and wait the clock out.

I'm assuming you have won this scenario?

Its actually quite easy. You need to advance (poor choice of words... move to contact) to the tree lined road between objectives (or far flanks). Use move to contact to advance up the road... through the trees. Take it slow and only move up one squad or team at a time short distances with at least two squads covering. Once you meet resistance, you can start using advance. You want to reduce each contact in turn. Go to fast and you'll get butchered. Don't watch 'the clock', just keep it slow and methodical. Worst you should get as the Germans is a minor victory using that approach