Would you pay to play?

I've recently created a scenario of my own and have played many others and I've had much enjoyment along the way also, but isn't it time scenario designers made some pretty green for all their had work?

However, how many of you would pay to play and what would be the best method?

I only ask because I'm not a tight arse, but I appreciate others hard work and don't expect anything for nothing and feel we should offer some form of payment to show our gratitude, whether that be money or material things.

And yes, I would be happy to pay, but how much would be an acceptable amount and should only the best rated scenarios have to be paid for or all?

I hope this comes accross as positive and not negative, as that is not my intention, but how many designers agree or have never even considered such a thing?

Btw, I'm obviously referring to third party scenarios here and not the cd scenarios, just to make it clear.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, have you checked from BFC if you actually CAN make money with scenarios? Normally all your bases are belong to game developer (who own the rights to the game, the editor and the scenario file format), unless you make a deal with them.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for scenarios nor would I expect others to pay for mine. Mine are made for fun, and I think there would be plenty of high quality scenarios in the public domain in any situation so that people paying for scenarios would be unlikely. REALLY - this is an addictive hobby, yes, but not work. Neither would I want it to be a work. I wouldn't want to create scenarios for paying clients - just think of all the poor SOB's who have made scenarios to be included with CM games and all the abuse they have received. No thanks, keep your bucks. If anyone likes a scenario of mine or at least appreciates the effort, just write a review at The Depot.

I'd be more willing to pay for the work of people such as Admiral Keth of Scenario Depot, Todd Johnston of CMMODS, GJK of TPG or Berlichtingen of Der Kessel, because compared to designing scenarios, keeping up a web site is not always such a great fun, and especially not cheap fun if it involves lots of downloads. So, have I supported CMMODS, for instance..? uh, no, but it's not like I'd have money either. :(

Originally posted by Sergei:

[QB] First of all, have you checked from BFC if you actually CAN make money with scenarios? Normally all your bases are belong to game developer (who own the rights to the game, the editor and the scenario file format), unless you make a deal with them.

I don't know if one is allowed to make any money from any self designed scenario, or if you would first require permission from BFC.

What is the situation here please BFC, if you would be so kind to give me a reply, thanks?

Originally posted by junk2drive:

feeding my ego is enough pay for me ;)

i would rather pay the guys who have the websites to host the scens and mods. without them we have the cd.

I agree - my huge ego needs continous adulation and praise - so howz about more feedback on my scenarios ;)

Its the guys who take the time to maintain and upkeep the websites who deserve the support. I just enjoy the designing side of things and all that goes with it - and seeing people play the scenarios and their feedback (+ and -) is payment enouh for me. smile.gif

Originally posted by General Colt:

I actually read the EULA for the demo. It says you can NOT charge for mods or scenarios.

What you say is correct, and only possible with prior written consent from BFC, as stated in the license aggreement of the CMAK Q.R.G. I've just read.

No, no I felt guilty getting the free CD from BFC. Its just a hobby I actually enjoy making the scenarios (because it makes me read obscure military history books) more than playing the game-and I LOVE playing the game.

However I DO think it might be nice to have prizes given out for scenario design by BFC but they have more important things to do.

I think charging for mods or scenarios if possible would go against the spirit of games like this. But on the other side I have made a donation to CMMODS to help with the hosting of the mods.

Did I read somewhere that the next version of Operation Store Fang was going to be charged for?

I agree with Hans. I would like to see more support from game makers for the modders & scenario makers. I have seen other game publishers give prizes.

I think without the free add ons a lot less copies of the game would be sold. It is the community that makes or brakes a game like these ones, so I think the people who produce the free stuff should get more help and recognition.

I also think BFC should help with the hosting of the mods, but for all I know they may already be doing that.

Anyway my thanks go out to all the modders and scenario makers.

Cheers.

What Sergei said. :D

Markl -

I also think BFC should help with the hosting of the mods, but for all I know they may already be doing that.
CMHQ is being hosted and paid for entirely by Battlefront.com, so yes, we're doing that.

Martin

Hey I just remembered. One of the fanatical CMak players who I'll call the "Armoured Car man" sent me a rather weird but great game CD for designing "Small Battles, The Sullen Well of Taleh" for him - looks like I lost my amateur standing!

I think we can look at it in a food chain type of way:

_____________________BFC__________________________

Website owners > Scenario/Mod authors > CM Players

Keep the scenario and mod authors happy by supplying reviews/discussions for their works<sup>†</sup> which keeps the site owners happy because their site becomes more interactive, and all of us playing and buying the game keeps BFC happy.

So as a site owner, that's what makes me happy - seeing the site used as intended - which would be playtesting and discussing the various scenarios uploaded by the author's and opponent finding and rating by those looking for others to match up with. I'm sure Keith would love to see his database fill up with more and more reviews and that of course would make the scenario author's happy. ;)

<sup>†</sup> CMMODS is a bit different, though COG has set up his discussion area and added interactivity to his site lately.

I design all my scenarios for my own enjoyment. If others can get enjoyment from them too thats just dandy. I do however believe the site owners (Scenario Depot, CMMODS, The Proving Grounds, and others) deserve a little tickle if players and designers can afford it, because without those sites the vehicle to play and distribute Scenarios and Mods would not be there and thus the CM world would be a duller place...

That is all...

[ June 01, 2004, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Fredrock1957 ]

My gratitude not withstanding, I can not disagree more. Good designers should get paid. This is a game, not a religion (depite any illusions you may have).

If you made a good enough offer BFC could agree to let you make money on scenarios.

How would you then be able to make money? Simple concept, make scenarios so cool that if you put a price on them people would buy them.

Right now I would gladly put down $10 for a really good city fight that required patience, planning and a cool head. It would have to keep me and another player occupied for at least 40 or more turns, but also work against AI, and be re-playable. There could be no flaws, the map would have to be like I'm in a movie, there would have to be surprises that gave me a gut deep reaction (happy or upset) and I would have to end up anxious as hell for the designer to do another one.

The briefing would have to be very well written. Sorry you guys, I sometimes can't even finish reading them because they are written so poorly.

CM has the raw material, it just needs designers willing to go the extra mile, with a touch of brilliance added.

Hello Willbell

Well taking under consideration the design specifications of the request your probably looking at a 30-40 hour production time.

If you were to "sell" it, you might sell a few but most would players would end up with pirated copies.

Would I buy a scenario? Nope-would I buy a CD with lots of scenarios on it? Nope-as long as you have a site like SD the idea probably isn't viable in this present environment. (I rarely play scenarios anyway)

Considering the inability of anyone to pinpoint what makes a good scenario you'd have a lot of frustration running thru the customers.

You might want to look at the business model of miniature players who seem to be able to sell booklets of scenarios. Are you aware of any game where scenarios by third parties are purchased?

Hans

Hans,

I certainly appreciate the technical problems you mention, it would take some out of the box thinking to make it work.

But I disagree with your point about making scenarios that a lot of people would flock to play. When it comes to creativity, NEVER underestimate what can be accomplished (reference CMBO) by creative people.

'Would you pay to play?'

Doubtful. Would you pay me if I played your scen and thought it was a waste of time? Which is a round-a-bout way of saying "price -> responsibility" which I wouldn't want as a designer. And probably "price↑ -> quality↓"

Otherwise, wot those fellas sed.

Jon