Your Biggest Defeats

Well, I just led the Polish 2nd Armored into oblivion at Chambois in PBEM. All my Shermans were destroyed, many men killed, etc. Thankfully I was able to withdraw most of the surviving forces so a could portion of them avoided capture.

This is my second defeat in a row as I lost Panic at Gela to my opponent. That was even worse. Was playing as the Germans and ran into a wall of ATG's. 160 casualties, all my armor and apc's destroyed, infantry tried to withdraw but were cut to pieces in the open by 150mm artillery, etc. The Americans had 16 casualties. I am shamed.

The last big victory for me was Brits at Anzio, PBEM as always, where I successfully led my Panzergrenadiers and captured the city. Was a grueling fight though as we had to move through a lot of open ground. So I'm not an incompetant player by any means, it just seems that lady luck has turned against me recently.

So anyone else ever been frustrated by the sting of a humiliating defeat? Or make some stupid decison which causes hundreds of your troops to be killed?

Great defeats haven't actually been my forte, as in general I tend to be cautious and let my opponent do something silly first so I can follow. But I always try to include some small, militarily foolish yet otherwise pictoresque decision, which lessens the value of my victory (or turns a draw into a loss) and gives me and my foe a reason to doubt my sanity.

• 2 weeks later...

I got absolutely manhandled as the Russians in Royal Opponent. I managed to mishandle virtually all of my assets except for the light AT stuff, which performed heroically - but weren't exactly that important. Even when I did something unexpected that could have worked out well for me, it didn't. Two of my heavies coming up behind a few enemy mediums and getting the drop on them - result, two dead heavies.

And my opponent put together a solid, methodical advance. Not a good combination.