Assault and Advance Operations

In the historical operation I am making, I want a rolling BW, so obviously I have 2 choices, Assault or Advance. I want the rolling BW because the map is over 5km long and given the terrain, it wouldn't be realistic for the attacker to see that far ahead. I also have "linked to map" defending forces that I want kept in place as they were historically.

Toward the end of the map, there is a town that I want as the objective of the attacker. The map is just over 2km wide and the town is about 1200m wide. So it would be relatively easy for the attacker to skirt the town.In the manual it says an Advance/Assault op will end when the attacker reaches the end of the map. Is this written in stone? I mean, what if the defender toward the end of the map(in the town) is doing well and has significant forces left? That's not taken into account?

So the BW finally rolls it's last time to reveal the last part of the map and say a single solitary attacking unit reaches the end of the map, regardless of how well the defender is doing, the game ends?

Thankyou

The defender pretty much has to defend along the entire width of the map on operations - the attacker has more liberty to attack only on a narrow portion and not be penalized too much by the front line algorithm.

[ April 06, 2004, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Peterk ]

Originally posted by Sgt AA:

"Ron53"

Yes, you can. You will get a marker for them too on the map in the editor mode.

You'll get the reinforcements once that marker is close to or in front of your lines. Which is usually in battle 1 for any attacker. Read: You get those markers, but they don't make sense.

Gruß

Joachim

Joachim!

You make me a little confused!? In my experience, the reinforcement arrive as soon as the marker is in the battle window. So you usually have to make some progress before that happens. I recently played "Models Last Hope" and by stopping the German advance early, they never get their "linked to map" reinforcement (and neither did I).

Regards/

Originally posted by Joachim:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sgt AA:

"Ron53"

Yes, you can. You will get a marker for them too on the map in the editor mode.

You'll get the reinforcements once that marker is close to or in front of your lines. Which is usually in battle 1 for any attacker. Read: You get those markers, but they don't make sense.

Gruß

Joachim </font>