Wishlist: Victory Conditions

I've recently gotten back into CMBB (And have CMAK on the way). It really is a wonderful game, and I've found myself focusing on the scenario editor. With a bit of creativity, interesting situations can be created, especially with the interplay of dynamic flags, points for casualties, and exit points.

However, CMBB is on the verge of being great in this area. Here are my suggestions for a later game:

1. Able to mix static and dynamic flags in the same battle.

2. Able to have multiple dynamic flags (for instance, you have 4 possible flags, 2 of which are 'real' objectives).

3. Able to have both sides choose separate dynamic flags.

4. Allow victory points for controlling a flag to change dependent on reinforcement groups. If you get a company of Tigers, OKH expects you to do better, so the furthest flag increases by 200 points while all others drop by 50.

5. Have some scenarios with _no_ victory flags. There's a board game called Summer Storm, covering the Battle of Gettysburg. If I remember, the victory conditions are the routing of the enemy army. The idea is, rather than making Little Round Top (or a hill in Combat Mission) a victory point location, it becomes valuable as a means to the overall end of destroying the enemy force. Forces will fight over it, not because it gives victory points, but because they can spot the enemy well from it. Obviously this probably works best in relatively equal meeting engagements.

Those are just a few of my thoughts and are designed to create more flexible scenarios with more variability.

Something else just came to mind when I was thinking about another use for flags that change value over time, specifically setting values to 0 or a VP level to funnel reinforcements in a certain direction. Make it possible for flags to be invisible for the sole purpose of being 'beacons' for the AI to move towards.

Combined with being able to turn them off at a certain point, this could be a valuable aid for the scenario designer in controlling the AI.

I am not a sceanario designer. My feeling has always been that it would be great if one could underbuy units - say 300 points, and then go into the game to capture just a flag. This is designed for ending the calculation of enemy losses/flags held syndrome.

We know exactly how many points the opposition has and the VPs on the board and this is totally artificial. Trading points creates an uncertainty and forces people to reconnoitre more to properly establish force size/deployment