French Heavy Tanks

They were on their way to the front when the Stukas caught them on a train. Only 10 tanks were ever made and they never saw combat. Given their armor (ranging from 6 to 45mm)I doubt that they would have been decisive. French tactical armor use was crude when compared to the Germans. This tank would have simply been a large target, much like the Russian T35.

MikeT

60mm?? My resourse has it at 45mm. Well the French did have some heavily armored vehicles. Even if at 60mm I doubt that it would have made a difference. Have you seen the design? The engine was exposed. The excellent tactics of the Heer Panzers would have made mincement of such a heavy design. But we will never know.

MikeT

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Iron Chef Sakai:

Anyone heard t the Charon2C heavy tank? <hr></blockquote>

Never heard of it. Are you by chance refering to the Char B-1 Bis? If so they did not do well in battle. The 66th Panzer Battalion made mince-meat of Char B1s and H39 tanks of the 1st DCR at Flavion, France. A combination of complete suprise, supperior tacktics, and taking advantage of the Char B's fatal flaw -it's huge engine grill on its side, doomed the beasts in this encounter. Others were destroyed piecmeal, as the french scattered their armor instead of concentrating it. Yet more never made it into combat, as mentioned above, captured while still on rail

Exactly Mike

It would have been of no consequence what so ever had it been fielded. The comparatively capable tank Somua 35S that was available in some numbers and fielded in armoured units was not able to make any difference, and even less could the obese 2C.

Tactically the big french tanks, just as T-34's and KV's before they were deployed correctly, amounted to nothing much more than thorns in the side of the advancing Germans columns.

Dice,

It looks a bit like a char B, only bigger (11 man crew), older (early 20's design) and even less efficient (45mm armour, 12 km/h max speed).

M.

[ 12-25-2001: Message edited by: Mattias ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>The excellent tactics of the Heer Panzers would have made mincement of such a heavy design. But we will never know.MikeT[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

But Mike, We Will Know. (I hope). That is if BTS follows through with its schedule for "The Early Years", after CMBB. I am looking forward to trying out the experimental designs in AFVs and the tactics that never were able to be developed due to Blitzkreig. So many 'what if' situations.

i.e. What if there was a French combined arms order of battle that would stand up to the Germans in a CM battle. What if you discovered it.

My hopes are raised ... Toad