most accurate ally AFV?

I find it interesting that the Firefly is so accurate in CMBO according to the reports above.

In RL the muzzle blast from the 17pdr was so massive that it blinded the crew and they couldn't see where the round hit.

While this wouldn't effect the initial shot accuracy it would not help in adjusting for the next round so it's a good job they seem to hit first time then!

Combat mission models accuracy as simply a function of velocity. Which while generally true is not the only factor.

Aside from gunner skill to actually lay the gun on target accuracy is a function of

velocity, windage, manufacturing tolerances.

So your most accurate weapon will be the largest gun with the highest muzzle velocity and the best manufacture.

On the allied side the 17pdr had a high MV of 878ms and a heavy shot of 7.71kg (verses 7kg for the comparible American round) When firing the APCBC round this gun was very accurate. First use of this gun came as a shock for the Germans, when some Tigers which had been standing off at 1500m from British positions suddenly starting catching fire.

The American 76mm APC (tungsten) round was at close range the most accurate of all WWII projectiles. This had a high MV but poor density, at longer ranges the light projectile slows considerably and is effected by wind.

In theory the best projectilewas the 17pdr APDS in the game this is the most accurate round. However manufacturing tollerances require for APDS were not yet understood, and consquently some rounds were wildly inaccurate. The muzzle break on the 17pdr also disturbed the breaking off of the sabot, which is why modern tanks don't have muzzle breaks.

Post war APDS was and still is very accurate since it has high velocity, high density (less wind effects) and good manufacturing tollerances.

AODS is said to be extremly unaccurate due to uneven discarding of parts.

BTW, people keep telling me there is a chance in the 17pdr's accuracy in some month in CMBO, but I am not able to reproduce that. Which month is that supposed to be and what are the exact conditions?

I don't have stats, but the Sherman 75mm HE round was reputed to have a high degree of accuracy on soft targets. It also likely kept it up over a longer span than did the high-performance guns.

Lower muzzle velocity can equate to less barrel wear over time, and this is something we frequently overlook about the big blasters - they get inaccurate fairly quick. Admittedly, the life expectancy of tanks was not as great as artillery pieces, but one does wonder about shell wander due to barrel wear.

For it's primary intended use, i.e. taking out soft targets, the 75 was not a bad weapon.