So hey, whats all this I hear about Doodads? Details Inside!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gyrene:

I know what one of my first mods will be...That 3D rubble. It's pretty cool, but it looks like a stack of firewood. :D

Gyrene<hr></blockquote>

And I'll be the first to download and install. Make it a shell of a building if you please. Next, work on the roadblock. I want to see a burnt out DeSoto with burnt timbers piled on smile.gif

Basically it is a pile of burnt wood.

Due to VRAM limitations we did need to limit outselves to one type of rubble texture for all buildings. Thus, that texture needs to look just as suitable for a peasant hut as it does a factory. Not an easy task, I can tell you that smile.gif

Btw guys the artefact some of you have noticed in the rubble is in fact due to the mirroring of the texture where the two pieces of the 'doodad' meet in the middle. Ive asked Charles to see if we can make a little code change to fix it and if not Ill touch up the texture.

Dan

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]</p>

The doodads are, yes. By that I mean that their shape is, which is basiaclly a cross for the most part.

Textures, no, every bmp is editable, just how it should be smile.gif

Dan

PS : Thomm, I noticed your question about when doodads become visible. I dont know how Chalres has done it but they seem to be always there, even way off into the distance. Charles has done a great job with them whilst not harming frame rate!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AD:

Absolutely fantastic!

Question: Is that some small furry animal in the rubble shot? (about an inch or so below the rightmost soldier - staring into the "camera") Perhaps I'm just seeing things???<hr></blockquote>

You better watch it AD. If you're not careful you'll become a full blown member with such prolific posting as this.

Member No. 4 & STILL a Junior Member. Sheeesh!

Regards

Jim R.

Doodads? Daddoos? :confused:

Who cares what they are called. I'm now getting a small itch for CMBB to arrive. redface.gif However, I am having such a great time with CMBO.

When is CMBB due to be released? :confused:

I'm looking forward to CMBB. However, I will be sad to leave CMBO behind. :( The Americans, Brits, & Poles are such fun. However, life moves on. Onward & upward. A new day dawns. :D

Merry Christmas, Richard :cool: tongue.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Madmatt:

NONE of the new features that you will see or hear about it CMBB will be backward compatiable with CMBO. Yes, CMBB is BASED on the CMBO code but there have been HUNDREDS of changes, additions, tweaks and enhancements and as such there is no going back from here. ;)

Stop thinking of CMBB as merely evolutionary. It's every bit as revolutionary as CMBO was and in some ways more. And yes, that surprised us every bit as much as it will surely surprise you when you play it!

Madmatt<hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the clarification MATT. That should put to rest any quibbles some might have had about outlaying their hardearned moolah for a new game that they might have thought was basically the same old CMBO engine but with a swag of add-on units etc. This new incarnation of CM is just sounding better and better as the time for release draws nearer. KUTGW guys!! :D

{PS: It will certainly be interesting to see how many of us keep CMBO alive and well on the ol' HD (and for how long?) after installing the new kid on the block.}

AJ

Although CMBB will be the latest and greatest, my HD will always have enough space for CMBO. Both theaters of are interesting and although there are some great enhancements with the updated engine, I suspect CMBO will still be bearable. :D