So hey, whats all this I hear about Doodads? Details Inside!

Soldiers,

One must look at these pictures and smile, for all of our nasty bitching about graphic enhancements have been returned, in kick ass DOODAD form.

:eek:

Ps. I must have spent 5 minutes wipping the drool off my screen. Theres a huge roll of paper towl next to my computer, just incase Matt posts anymore screens :D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can't wait for "Cemetery Shoot-out '43"!!!

I love the little tufts of grass sprouting up around the headstones...garsh - you guys think of everything...I'm envisioning the first headstone mod already...

Oh yeah, those vicious "rubble raccoons" ain't no joke...Waffen Waschbär, i believe.

nice work gents.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife ]</p>

I think what people are seeing are some of the new units BTS has been baiting us with. If I'm not mistaken they're a '44 pattern PanzerRaccoon scout unit. Notice the superb camouflage this unit has in wooded terrain. I'm wondering if the much rarer '45 pattern RabidPanzerGrenadierRaccoon units will make it into the game. Granted there were only a handful of them during the fall of Berlin but I have first hand reports showing they held off entire divisions of Commies with their bare teeth.

Rollstoy - don't forget that unlike in other games, you can see all of the map at once in CM. This means a LONG distance sometimes. Doodads pop up at something like 1000m distance, usually far enough that in fact you don't notice that they pop up, since they are too small to be visible otherwise. Oh, and before you ask - when you use ZOOM, doodads visible distance is adjusted to zoom level.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Madmatt:

The camera views have been overhauled and there is another isometric view which replaces the old top down level 5 view. You can also now tilt to a far greater degree up and down than ever before. My own personl crusdade was to get that implemented to take better screenshots! <hr></blockquote>

So, is there no view 5 at all anymore? I use that view extensively to fine tune my paths.... How's about dropping one of the other iso's (like 3 or 4) or one of the further up topdowns (like 6 or 7). Of course, the best would be not to drop any at all :D

Thanks for all the info, Madmatt!

Ben

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Moon:

Doodads pop up at something like 1000m distance, usually far enough that in fact you don't notice that they pop up, since they are too small to be visible otherwise!<hr></blockquote>Okay, I guess a clever programmer would tie the "pop-up" distance of doodads to the size of the doodad! Therefore, something as big as a fence will pop up at 1000m while something as small as a bundle of grass will pop up at 10 meters.

Either way, what you presented so far is breathtaking!

By the way:

Are there telephone poles?!

Are there any plans to re-mesh the soldiers' faces?

Regards,

Thomm

A couple of loose ends to tie up and then its back to work.

Fences AREN'T Doodads. They are a new terrain tile just like walls and hedges, they dont need to pop up.

You will see some doodads further out then others depending on their size. For example, cemetaries (which is a tile AND uses DOODAD's) you can see pretty far away while a small tuft of grass or bush you need to be closer to.

Camera Level 5 is now an isometric view. We changed several of the views and level 5 can now be had by using level 6 (and maybe one level of zoom). Level 9 is also a more zoomed out view than before.

One other tidbit, you can now ROTATE the camera while keeping it padlocked on a moving unit. Yes, this is VERY cool! This means you can padlock a tank as it drives down a bumpy road and spin (pan)the camera around and watch as it passes stuff with the padlocked unit still being in the center of focus. To break the padlock you would move the camera front or back (as oppoesed to side to side which pans). There is even a new level of zoom to. It's 16x but in that high level of zoom, you can only look, you can't select units at that scale. As stated before there are also more levels of vertical tilt and each level is a much smaller increment to allow for more control when tilting while zoomed.

NONE of the new features that you will see or hear about it CMBB will be backward compatiable with CMBO. Yes, CMBB is BASED on the CMBO code but there have been HUNDREDS of changes, additions, tweaks and enhancements and as such there is no going back from here. ;)

Stop thinking of CMBB as merely evolutionary. It's every bit as revolutionary as CMBO was and in some ways more. And yes, that surprised us every bit as much as it will surely surprise you when you play it!

Madmatt