First Wargame to Mimmick CM (3-D style)

Echo

Looking at those pictures, it looks like the game uses 2D sprites instead of 3D models. Makes for much faster rendering because each person shown is only 1 texture/graphic, not a full 3d model with diff textures for diferent body parts.

Looks like old technology, it might still be a great game, it's just not new graphics technology from what I can see.

Am really looking forward to Matrix Games' Battleline. It's going to be a WWII operational game somewhat on the scale of HPS's Panzer Campaign series, but set in a 'WEGO' format, and complete with a map/scenario editor.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Game play is conducted in a new T4D play mode that stands for Tactical 4D play. Players must think and act in real war terms. Players will need to observe the behavior of the different units.<hr></blockquote>

Actually, from this description in their Features section, it sounds more like it's a mimic of Shogun than CM.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redwolf:

Yeah, it's really a Shogun thing.

That doesn't mean it has to share those weaknesses, though.<hr></blockquote>

*Shudder* Don't remind me...I hope this game is a lot more slow paced then Shogan was, to maintain realism and discourage "speed-mouse" syndrome. IE: If I can select my men and send them somewhere faster then you can, Ill probably have a good advantage over you position wise.

Im waiting for this game actually, but since they didnt want to release a demo, Ill wait to hear what some people say about it before purchasing.

Grisha, hi,

I agree 100% with what you say. My greatest wish was always for a “quality” computer version of SL, with CM this has now happened beyond my wildest dreams. However, I would also like to see a quality WEGO operational/battalion game. My greatest wish now, would be for BTS to do a quality “operational layer” for the new engine in CM3. So one could "zoom in", change the scale from operational scale and resolve a given operational battle at the CM scale. One can but hope!

All the best,

Kip.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by kipanderson:

Grisha, hi,

I agree 100% with what you say. My greatest wish was always for a ?quality? computer version of SL, with CM this has now happened beyond my wildest dreams. However, I would also like to see a quality WEGO operational/battalion game. My greatest wish now, would be for BTS to do a quality ?operational layer? for the new engine in CM3. So one could "zoom in", change the scale from operational scale and resolve a given operational battle at the CM scale. One can but hope!

All the best,

Kip.<hr></blockquote>

I'd like to see a WWII grand strategy game from BTS. That would be cool. Hell, I'd like to see a grand strategy WWII game from anybody. I don't think there are any around.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by kipanderson:

Grisha, hi,

I agree 100% with what you say. My greatest wish was always for a “quality” computer version of SL, with CM this has now happened beyond my wildest dreams. However, I would also like to see a quality WEGO operational/battalion game. My greatest wish now, would be for BTS to do a quality “operational layer” for the new engine in CM3. So one could "zoom in", change the scale from operational scale and resolve a given operational battle at the CM scale. One can but hope!

All the best,

Kip.<hr></blockquote>

Sort of like NHL 2000 you mean? In that you can have the computer play out an entire season of hockey games, with the option of personally stepping in and taking over some (or all) of the games if need be.

You thinking of doing the same thing with CM? It's a neat concept; operationally speaking, what would each player control? A Division? Or the entire order of battle for the Allies or the Axis?

Be lots of battalion level fights generated - it's doable, but if BTS can't do it well, they won't try. Researching operations is much different from researching tactical engagments, unfortunately.

But it would be nice to have an environment where individual battles can affect the overall strategic picture.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

I'd like to see a WWII grand strategy game from BTS. That would be cool. Hell, I'd like to see a grand strategy WWII game from anybody. I don't think there are any around.<hr></blockquote>

Right on!

-V

Did you guys ever play the World at War games (Operation Crusader, Stalingrad and D-day) from Atomic games? This was back in the mid 90s. They were battalion level hex games (1 km hexes) using a WEGO system. A lot of fun. I was hoping the Battleground games would be like that but they went back to IGOUGO, poop.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

I'd like to see a WWII grand strategy game from BTS. That would be cool. Hell, I'd like to see a grand strategy WWII game from anybody. I don't think there are any around.<hr></blockquote>

Ahem, I can not just let that pass un answered me-laddio..I would like to bring to attention:

Avalon Hills: Empire of the Rising Sun

Avalon Hills: Third Reich

!!World In Flames!!