Assault Operations and units being fixed in place...

Robart

Playing the Descent into Maleme against the AI and am now on the second battle. Don't worry - no spoliers. What I am asking is that during the second battle it looks like I have a number of small pockets of trapped AI units (some of which I even know thier identity from the first battle). However, when I assaulted these positions at the beginning of the second battle - nobody is home. I have checked it out and the manual says that during Assault operations units that are behind enemy lines will be locked in place. I know that units that are on the attack have the option of being pulled back but units on the defence are supposed to be padlocked - or am I very mistaken...

Cheers,

Robart,

Padlocked units are only padlocked at the beginning of the set up phase. meaning the AI can't redeploy them before the start of the battle. After that it can move them if it sees fit. I too have been occasionally been "taken in" by these pockets which I assumed held troops and have even deployed to eliminate them to find them empty. Which I guess is realistic, hey they were there last time you saw them but the AI pulled them out without you noticing? Now I conduct a little recon first... Cheers.

Los

Yup, I agree.

I did a test scenario - actually two. I found out exactly what you said and then I tried it giving just a few guns their own colour for the setup. No difference. It seems a little strange that there is an option to pull your troops back when I have control of the ground behind the pockets. This is especially the case when the objects are guns that need to be towed to get them out of there. I might be able to see it if we were moving into or out of a night fight but with two day battles in a row it seems a little strange.

Originally posted by Robart:

Yup, I agree.

I did a test scenario - actually two. I found out exactly what you said and then I tried it giving just a few guns their own colour for the setup. No difference. It seems a little strange that there is an option to pull your troops back when I have control of the ground behind the pockets. This is especially the case when the objects are guns that need to be towed to get them out of there. I might be able to see it if we were moving into or out of a night fight but with two day battles in a row it seems a little strange.

If you play with the "stick for scenario default" fixed setup option for the AI, the AI will move these units backwards to its , but usually not sidewards (except for stacking problems.) So at least you should know where those guns are...

Gruß

Joachim