A Matter of Honor

Ok, I am curious.

I am a bit obsessed with this scenario. To jog everyone's memory, it is a CMBO scenario, on the disc. It recreates the Allied push near Cherbourg.

Finely crafted, almost all infantry. I think it plays like a puzzle. (As the Allies, in SP) Even with 60 turns, the Allies have significant time pressure. I have been slowly improving my infantry tactics with it: learning to move large formations of infantry, not relying on armour to do everything, learning to use artillery better, trying to understand the quirks of fixed fortifications.

So....has anyone managed to last flag as the Allied player, the one in Fort du Roule? On my last attempt, I managed to get most of my batallion to the edge of platform with the main defenses. But then I looked at those defenses with a "you have got to be kidding" expression--I had forgotten their strength-- and moved no further. (I gave myself an Infantry Batallion Management medal anyway)

I think I could handle my artillery and infantry in this scenario slightly better, but I would like to know if it is even possible to take that flag.

Other questions (I just do not remember if these are in the FAQ section):

If a large amount of MG fire is directed at a concrete pillbox, if there a possibility it will suffer gun damage, of that it could be abandoned?

Am I correct in presuming that if concrete pillboxes are placed back to back, there is no way to smash through their rear door?

Am I correct is thinking that concrete bunkers are essentially immune from 105mm artillery?

Again, a very challanging and interesting SP Allied scenario.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've only had the game a week and I've already tried this senario and it's a bit hard.

You get loads of infantry and some tanks (which would be useful if you could get them to cross the river!!!) plus lots of artillery.

I've only tried it once and basically I used all my artillery on the top of the hill, hoping that it would get rid of pretty much everything there or at least kill many of the germans. I made my way with my infantry through the woods and across the river and directly up the road, using my tanks to knock out the wooden pillboxs and supressing the concrete ones. you have to set up their line of sight correctly from across the river so they can knock out most of the pillboxes. But again, like you, I made my way up and up until the last dip before the top of the fort and realised that there really is no way through with just the infantry. :eek:

My artillery had destroyed all of the gun emplacements on top, just not the pillboxes and you can't supress or destroy them with the tanks from long range. After brief thought, I decided to go all Gallipoli on the fort and perhaps scare all the Nazi's off and get them running... and basically everyone died. It was like playing Total War or something like that with bodies everywhere.

To be fair, the length of the level is putting me off playing it again for a while. I couldn't get to the top and ended up (though much caused by my first world war antics) with 1000 casualties! But I reckon the best way to do it is not go up via the obvious road and try a mountain assult from the sides or the rear. Oh for some Royal Marine Commando's!!!! Then you only have to deal with the pillboxes that face the rear and not slog it up the mountain losing men as you go. Also, you can then sneak the bazooka's close to the pillboxes and try and take them out by going up the hill that way. The only problem then I guess is time, but you should be able to get there with at least 10 turns to spare. You might have problems going through the town though!

Is there any way of getting the tanks across? If you can then its easy as pie to get to the top, but without the tanks I can't do it. It seems pretty sad to have them for only a few hundred meters and then basically have them as redundent units. Then again, maybe that's the point!