Question reguarding the 'Delay' order

I ran into a small snafu while slugging it out with another player in a PBEM battle.

I have little armor assets in this fight. As a result, I have to make the most of what I have. One of my German tank destroyers targets a Greyhound scout car at about 150m, but the scout car is facing my TD head on. Although the TD will probably win the face off, I am worried that a good hit from that 40mm gun on it will knock out my very important TD. With me so far?

I don't want to reverse, because this may distract the crew from their gunnery against the scout car, and thus reduce the chances of winning the duel. I decide to have the TD stand off with the Greyhound, but I don't want the TD to stay in the fight for longer than 30 seconds for fear of being 'bracketed' by the scout car.

Here is the question:

If I order a delay command with a reverse order, will the TD also delay it's gunnery against the scout car? Or will it only delay the backing up of the TD while it continues to fire? Does the delay command effect the crew's firing of their weapons as well as effecting it's movement?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cpl Carrot:

The delay functon only affects the movement. You can add your delay and the unit will happily engage the target.

<hr></blockquote>

Are you sure about this? If it was a TD with a turret then it would work. But I remember some problems with the german TDs without turrets and using pause. When I paused and targeted an enemy tank it wouldnt rotate until the delay was over. This was a long time ago so it probably wasnt with the latest patch, but Ive never paused a TD since that.

Thinking a little more about it, something that could have influenced my TD was that it wasnt facing the enemy at the time I gave the orders. That might caused it to follow the pause order first. Dont you hate it when you units follow orders when they shouldnt :-(

/Kristian

AFAIK as long as the target remains in the 30 odd degree arc covered by the gun, it will target and fire OK. If the target moves out of this then you start to have problems. Ie one confused driver. I could be totally wrong - it is late and it is Christams. I shall try to test this in the morning and post a definate answer unless some one else bets me to it.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Thanks guys. I'll post the data to my brain for future use, but the point is moot in my above case.

Ted's Greyhound (green) took out my Marader II (Veteren) in one shot after my TD took two lousey shots at him. D'OH! :rolleyes: <hr></blockquote>

Ah, that's too bad. I missed my chance to post and recommend that you simply reverse immediately…I felt that the Greyhound's high accuracy gun with the nasty Gyrostabilizer would mean your sure doom if you stuck around for more than the 1-2 shots he'd get off in the 8-20 command delay period. Especially at so close a range (150m).

Marders are effective in little SP-AT groups of 2+, and perform well if you take them all "tophat" at once. Beware all .50cals, even the flexible ones on the tanks you'll be shooting at. Also beware of mortar fire coming soon to an open-top near you…if you have any Marders left that is. Its too bad that they don't have MGs for buttoning AFVs up.