Don't bunch up!

Moon

One of the last threads on the old message board was about Close Combat 3. Well, I finally got it myself a week ago. Besides several flaws in the campaign structure, one of the biggest problems seems to be that "infantry is dying like flies"...

IMO one of the main reasons for this seems to be the fact that they are bunching up A LOT! They tend to stay within one or two meters of each other!

I guess anybody here knows how deadly bunching up can be. In the Army we'd sometimes spread as far as 20 yards from each other when crossing open ground or under mortar attack!

Finally to what I wanted to say: since CM is not depicting single men like CC3 but rather the whole squad as a unit, how bunched up by default are CM squads going to be? In other words, what will be the physical space on the battlemap that a rifle team takes up?

I remember posts about the possibility of one mortar shell to take out your squad...

Also, will I be able to change something about the "formation" of my squad? I am asking because when looking at the movies it appears that the three men showing a squad sometimes change positions relative to each other... or is it just because they're rotating?

------------------

Guest Big Time Software

Your squad is a whole unit, with simulated "distance" between each man. What this means is that incoming fire on your squad takes out your men based on all sorts of factors. The more narrow the fire (i.e. rifle fire vs. a 155 round), the further from center it strikes, the terrain, luck, and simulated spacing all come into play here.

: In the Army we'd sometimes spread as far as 20 yards from each other when crossing open ground or under mortar attack!

This is somewhat new development. Basically the firepower of the modern individual soldier has increased to the point where it is possible to spread out a squad this much without risking it clobbered. Couple this with the fact that today's ordnance is more lethal, and the two make for wider troop dispersal. But 20 yards in WWII would have been suicide.

: In other words, what will be the physical space on the battlemap that a rifle team takes up?

This is a tough question to answer. We DO allow you to bunch up your men, but that is a decision we leave up to you. However, there will be some maximum closeness, probably around 5m or so. This is realistic in terms of physical spatial relations, but suicide from a tactical standpoint. But if you want to do stupid, unwise things, go for it smile.gif

: I remember posts about the possibility of one mortar shell to take out your squad...

Sure, but probably only if it is a big one that hits smack center. A 350mm Nebelwerfer, for example, has the potential to eliminate the better part of a platoon if the conditions were right, er wrong smile.gif And don't forget, significantly wounding a soldier counts as a casualty in CM. So you might lose 12 men to a single round, but reality would say that a few might survive with wounds serious enough to prohibit their further participation in combat. In other words, not all are KIA. Again, when we talk about one round taking out a whole squad we are talking extreme cases. In general, common mortar rounds (60mm and 8Xmm) won't cause more than a casualty or two even with a good hit, but you never know!

: Also, will I be able to change something about the "formation" of my squad? I am asking because when looking at the movies it appears that the three men showing a squad sometimes change positions relative to each other... or is it just because they're rotating?

You can change their facing, but there is no "formations" for you to tweak. What you saw was a unit rotating to face a new threat, nothing more. The vulnerability of your men is simulated depending on their current order, state, terrain, experience, etc. This is something that changes with each second, so it would be silly to have any degree of user control over this.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Yes. If you remember that thread about putting too many men into a house, that is exactly what we are talking about here.

For example, let us say there is a small bunch of light woods, 25x10m. This is really only good cover for a squad and perhaps a team. But you COULD put a full platoon there if you wanted to. So long as nobody shoots at you, you're all set. But one stray mortar round could waste most of your force and send the rest packing smile.gif The decision is up to you, the result is up to fate!

Steve

• 2 years later...