German Heavy Tanks

Hey all,

I just recieved the "Encylcopedia of German Tanks of World War Two". I was curious on what kind of panther models there will be in the game. I know of Panzerkampfwagen V Ausf D, A, G, and F models. I was also wander about the heavy tank destroyer types. I know the Jagdtiger is already in the game, but what about the Jagdpanter and Jagdpanzer? They wouldn't be as powerful, but they could knock out a few shermans. smile.gif

Pvt. Ryan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Big Time Software

For Panthers we have three:

Panther A

Panther G (early, without chin)

Panther G (late, with chin)

There was no "F". Never made it past the prototype stage.

For German stuff, anything remotely "standard" is in. This includes the JpzIV (two types), PpzV, Jagdtiger, StuGs of various types, Hetzer, etc. Too many are already in to list wink.gif

Steve

Accuracy of the Sturmtiger:

(ripped from the following excellent page):

It was found that the rocket mortar was rather inaccurate out to its maximum range. This should not be surprising if one recalls the German small arms industry's experiments with rocket cartridges. As the propellant is used up, the center of gravity will shift, causing the projectile to lose its accuracy very rapidly. Since the 38cm RTgs projectile works on the same principle, then, you can see why its accuracy would suffer at range. However, given the mission of the Sturmtiger, firing at the weapons full range would probably not be the order of the day, given that, in the Sturmtiger's ideal combat environ, it'd be the urban combat arena, where ranges are dramatically short. However, given the war situation as it was by the time the Sturmtiger entered the battlefield, they often found themselves as defensive weapons with little opportunity to engage in battle on their own terms.

Lee & Richard III,

How can the SturmTiger be effective in CM with a 10 minute reload?

I would still like to see it though. I am very much a big German armor junky. However, CM's board has taught me much about the lack of effectiveness of this junk. I still can't wait to witness it first hand.

Richard Kalajian

"wanting more and more to go to a Punk Rawk Show"

Who needs to reload with a Sturmtiger? wink.gif Hehe. Seriously,

even if you only got 3 or 4 reloads in one battle, that

is enough to have one big potential effect on the engagement

when you are dealing with something of the power of a

Sturmtiger.

Oddly, you are MORE likely to have HE rounds from this thing left at the end of a battle, compared to 'regular' tanks, because of its very low ROF.

Jon

------------------

Quo Fas et Vino du Femme

3,760lbs of rocket means NEVER having to say your sorry OR do any house to house fighting.

Quite honestly two or three rounds would wipe out the entire village in Riesberg or Last Defence. It was designed to bombard cities (after they couldn't get the 210mm tube arty to fit to it).

BTW the 380mm barrel was NOT a purpose-designed weapon really. What was the 380mm adapted FROM and which arm of the service was it from?

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

The Sturmtiger is not going to make the cut. It was a low priority item from the get go, and we have had to leave such items out.

For the record only 18 were ever made and there is only one solid battlefield example during the failed Operation Nordwind. In this battle 9 were deployed, one was lost. I have not found more detailed info than that about their use. They were deployed in the Bulge, but apparently were not used.

Steve

Yes, the RBU "Raketnaya Bombometnaya Ustanovka" is a multiple-barreled rocket launcher which can fire rockets to ranges of a few thousand yeards which can be set to detonate at either a specific depth or contact with a submarine.

It's actually a development of the Squid which was a shorter-ranged version developed in WW2 when it was realised that by increasing the range of the hedgehog and firing out to a distance ahead of the vessel such that the German sub was still visible on sonar (and thus depth could be better determined) allowed a better to hit chance.

Sonar at that time couldn't look down more than 45 degrees or so so as a ship began to get very close from a sub the sub would dissapear from sonar. The deeper the sub the farther away it was when it dissapeared and so the more avoiding action it could take before the ship passed over it and dropped the depth charges (or hedgehog bomblets).

The whole ASW warfare thing in WW2 is quite interesting as are the tactical possibilities inherent in the weapon system deficiencies of the time.

Hope that helps clear up the confusion. Sorry but there are so many abbrevs I sometimes forget people don't know them all.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Madmatt

Don't forget the Soviet T-35! hehehe wink.gif

All bark and no bite..reminds me of an ex-girlfriend hmmmmm......

35mm maximum armor plating, who were they trying to kid, looked cool in a parade though!

Madmatt out

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-16-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

We are planning on adding some vehicles in the future. FYI we have a VERY nice looking set of Sturmtiger pics (how all models start out!), but there are way too many other things on the list ahead of it.

The most oddball, rare vehicle that will be in CM is the M26 Pershing. We just put the rough model and texture set Sunday. Just watched it duke it out with a Nashorn. Hint... if the Nashorn gets off the first shot on the flank, the Pershing can just forget about getting off a shot! But it is funny to see 88s bounce off the front. Damn fine tank! And if you have about $160k and a very big garage, I know where you can buy one too wink.gif

Steve

Steve,

I remember when Doom first came out and was such a big hit that the developers were rolling in the dough. Are you going to be like John Romero and go out to buy new toys (only in your case, something like a Candy Apple Red Pershing instead of a Ferrari?) after CM conquers the world? smile.gif

Dar