Our Backs to the Volga - ongoing German AAR

Results:

Left Flank: The 152s seem to have stopped. Nothing much happens during the scouting other than finding a squad in the outpost building on the left side of the other factory.

Left flank: end of turn 8

Centre:

My right side factory platoon seems to be crumbling under small arms fire: maybe because some of them are half-squads? The FT dishes some more hot stuff and attracts fire in return. I’ve spotted a T34 and light tank well behind the factory, and the other T34’s star didn’t disappear when the second one showed up: this’ll give my AFVs some breathing space. The StuG IIIE is in position to pound the building giving my guys grief…for some reason I put the StuG IIIF in Hunt mode so it’s lagging behind. The good news: the suppressing fire seems to have been effective on the guys in my backfield. Third bunker spotted nestled in the clump of buildings to the left of the factory.

Centre: end of turn 8

Right Flank:

The 76 mm rain has ceased but the mortar and small arms fire is giving my guys problems. The only hope for this company is that there is precious little supporting it and that two Pz IVGs will be enough support.

Left: end of turn 8

---------

Turn 9

Orders:

Same as before, with no sewer orders.

Centre:

Same as before, but now the StuGs get to fire in support.

Right Flank:

Same as before but we’ve received 2 x PzIVF and 2 x infantry platoons and 1 x 105 spotter on this flank, so expectations have risen. Also, both Pz IVs are in position to pound the building.

[steve will be on holiday for a week starting tomorrow, so don't expect much action in that span]

[ November 07, 2003, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Brent Pollock ]

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Result:

Left :

Artillery continues to be absent – phew! Found an ATG hanging out on the left wall of the factory: must’ve been set up to get a quick flank shot as a StuG rounded the corner. Frankly, I’m amazed it didn’t get zapped by a stray 152 mm shell. It ends the turn in rough shape after one of my squads works it over for about 40”.

Left: end of turn 9

Centre:

Ugh – that platoon on the left corner is crumbling and the FT team’s snuffed it. A Russian squad pops out of the sewer in the midst of them all to add to the mayhem. The AA gun has been spotted in the deep left of centre as it starts peppering on of my squads that’s made it to the end of the factory. The light AFV indeed turns out to be the FT tank: got to watch that. The StuG, after some shuffling, finally starts to land rounds onto the building, and the partner has shown up: it should drop next turn, or soon after that.

Centre: end of turn 9

Right Flank:

Gaddammit – when will I learn that you’re never TOO far from a sharpshooter. The COs of both reinforcing Pz IVFs get whacked in under half a minute. Otherwise, things move along well enough. No HE falling, not even much in the way of mortar fire…no more buwwitts, perhaps? The pioniere are starting to get back into the swing of things now that both Pz IVGs are pounding the strongpoint.

Right: end of turn 9

Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

Turn 7 results:

Right Flank:

I’ve lost the 20 to 30 guys to this artillery, and the PzIV stopped after one smoke round…thanks guys…big help.

Did you set a covered arc to ensure only a big threat cancels the smoke order? IMHO any possible target showing up will be targetted - with the usual result of sitting idle afterwards.

Gruß

Joachim

Good point...I'll have to check the movie to see if it locked on to a target; wouldn't mind if it plastered something with HE, but I suspect it was simply hording smoke rounds, as it only started with three of them.

[editted after checking movie: it didn't seem to get distracted by an AP/HE target, it simply lost interest after firing one round of smoke]

Originally posted by Scarhead:

Did you set a covered arc to ensure only a big threat cancels the smoke order? IMHO any possible target showing up will be targetted - with the usual result of sitting idle afterwards.

Gruß

Joachim

[ November 11, 2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Brent Pollock ]

Turn 10

Orders:

Left :

Try to take out that ATG, then have a StuG come over to help out by zapping the bunker. It might also be time to try and risk them by having both StuGs zip towards the river and camp out to the left rear of the other factory so they can interdict any attempts to reinforce it. I anticipate that the building targeted by the StuGs is going to drop this turn or early next turn, which will cover the bunker in dust: time to try and shoot the gap with a platoon while it’s blinded.

Centre:

Left side of the factory needs to rally up after the building gets pounded. In the middle, I have to get away from that OT-126 before it hurts someone. Right side can hold its own for a bit. It might be time to try and send some armour over that way if I expect to make headway…but that can probably wait until reinforcements have arrived.

Right Flank:

PzIVs should drop the strong point this turn, which will aid my shell-shocked pioniere. The two shocked PzIVF2s are coming up to help out repulse these uppity Russians who have pushed towards us.

Result:

Left:

There goes the ATG and we’ve executed recon by receiving fire. Some light mortar fire and a few MGs. Left - end of 10

Centre:

No hot foot from the OT-126 – phew! That left side of the factory really needs some help: maybe the fresh rubble will help.

Centre - end of 10

Right Flank:

Sigh – another FT-toter gets whacked. Let’s see how the infantry reinforcements help.

Right - end of 10

Aircraft:

Two overflights were heard during the turn: sure hope they hit the Russian AFVs and not my guys

---------

Turn 11

Orders:

Reinforcements have shown up near the two StuGs: a platoon of pioneers, three or so PzIVs and the sIG 33.

Left:

Ponder, ponder, ponder…I think the time has come to start shifting most of the AFVs over to this side to help the Jager company push across to the factory complex. The assignment will be one AFV per factory panel. The AGs will go to the left side and drop the hardpoint that’s also spotting for the light mortars. Infantry will pull back to the factory and form up.

Centre:

Time to hunker down while the left side rallies. I’ll leave one half-squad near that OT-126 in case it ventures forward into grenade range. Reinforcing pioneers will head up to start clearing the Russkies that started behind my centre group. They’ll get one or two AFVs to help out.

Right Flank:

Still need to rally up. Going to start pulling out their AFV support to help the Left Side (get used to it boys: in December, supporting AFVs will always be abandoning you to go put out some other fire.

Results:

Left:

My Sewer Stragglers are starting to emerge; all that seems to missing now is an HQ. The regrouping continues apace and his light mortars are firing at phantoms. One of Stukas drops a bombload to the rear of the opposing factory, near the Volga. Left - end of 11

Centre:

The other aircraft managed to drop one into the backyard of the central factory, causing a few casualties to my grey boys. I don’t know if it was a mistaken attack or just a case of nerves induced by the AA gun. Right side of the factory takes OBA for a goodly chunk of the turn. The OT-126 hasn’t drawn a bead yet and my harassing fire is starting to fall. One of the T34s has been drawn to my right flank. Centre - end of 11

Right:

More OBA (looks like 76 mm) is causing some grief to the reinforcing platoon. On the plus side, the Reds seem to be running for it as my Pz IV pokes its nose near the frontline.

Right - end of 11

Turn 12

Orders:

Forgot to mention that last turn’s reinforcements also included a couple of 81 mm mortar FOs. They’re shifting to the left, probably for smoke support.

Left:

Same plan: AFVs on the way and start forming up the infantry to make the crossing. A couple HMGs are moving up as is the Company HQ, just in case that one platoon HQ is really lost in the sewers.

Centre:

Same plan, reorganise the factory and bring the reinforcements sweeping up through the buildings to try and clear the backyard boys. Two AFVs in support, which will eventually attack the right side of the left flank factory. Right flank AFVs sweeping across the middle to the left flank. Hope to take out the bunker this turn with a PzIV.

Right:

Oh my poor pioniere…one of those platoons has been knocked down to about 10 guys and the HQ is gone…hope to run through the 76 mm rain. That one Pz IV lang will stay behind as sole AFV support, and hope to dish some smoke and ding the T34 that’s moving up. The harassing 105 FO has LOS to the Russian pullback point, so I’ve shifted him to a concentration thereon.

Results:

Left:

Forming up and a backyard squad has been flushed out of a building near the back right corner of our factory. My MTR FO actually shot at them! I don’t remember ever seeing them shoot before but no one else saw them and the tracer was definitely from them. The StuGs are in position to drop the strong point and maybe bag that AC that appeared beside it and get the bunker. The two Pz IVs on the right side should be in position in a minute or two, then we can start some mayhem. Still no sign of the sewered platoon HQ so they may be the only MIA; well, that’s what CO HQs are for. Left - end of 12

Centre:

One of the Stukas makes another run with its wing bombs this time and bags the OT-126 (hurrah!) but drops a small one into the factory and takes out three of our boys (sniff!). The fire on the right hand side turns into a full conflagration which sends a half squad crawling into the street…which attracts the attention of a 45 mm ATG: one guy buys it but I’m hoping the factory dwellers can zap it. If that goes and now that the OT-126 is junk, it might be time for an early push out of the right side of the factory. Centre - end of 12

Right:

Damn…okay, on the plus side, I now know where the last ATG is…but it cost me a long-barrelled Pz IV. Bitter? Sure I’m bitter: when I played the Russians, my ATGs managed to accomplish two things – Diddly and Squat. And my infantry continues to take mortar fire and at the end of the turn, four 152 mm rounds: they must’ve stepped on a TRP! Time to push full for the factory. Left - end of 12

---------

Turn 13

Orders:

More reinforcements in the middle. That brings my AFV total up to 12…time to go hurt someone.

Left:

Three 75 mm tubes are in position on the extreme left: two on the hard point and one on the bunker. Infantry is to head to jump-off positions except for the right side platoon, which will continue on security duty. OBA FOs, HMGs and CO HQ headed up.

Centre:

Time to break out of the factory. In decent shape except for the left flank platoon, which has been decimated to 1.5 squad equivalents. Two platoons will probe towards the river while the other heads out of the right side to start pressuring mortars and take out that ATG. Also trying to suppress that AA gun. AFV and infantry reinforcements heading up but they’ll be slowed by security duty. Three 75 tubes are locked onto one building and should bring it down soon.

Right:

Damn the (aerial) torpedoes: full speed ahead. The Pz IV will finish off the vacant strong point and all the infantry will try to ram through the ruins toward the factory. The 105 mm HE should start dropping near turn’s end or at the start of next turn.

Results:

Left:

The Bunker got smacked quite a few times, including a “MG Hit” result, so I’m going to write it off. That StuG IIIF is getting low on HE so it’s time to switch it to tank hunting mode: going to risk it by sending it deep to try and get flanking fire on the reinforcements that seem to be showing up (there’s more than three T34s lurking now). Hard point might stay up a few more turns and I’ll have to keep my fingers crossed that the light mortars don’t ding the sIG 33. Infantry forming up and will need help with the T34 that showed up on our right; hunkering down in the meantime and waiting for the OBA smoke screen that will neutralise it, if a Pz IV F2 doesn’t get it first. Left - end of 13

Centre:

Seems like some 76 mm OBA is falling on the stragglers. The light AA took out a couple of guys but that gave my Stuka a free strafing pass….but I don’t know what it accomplished. The T34 is backing out and the probes seem to be going okay: the ATG is down a couple crewmen and hugging the dirt while the right flank is now dishing some enfilading fire on the light mortars and threatening a HMG team. The sweepers are making progress but one of my MG crews seems to have some uncomfortably close visitors. Centre - end of 13

Right:

Things are progressing, but running through the rubble and rough might just be more than my battered pioniere can handle. Help is on the way boys. On the bright side, the 152 mm stuff didn’t do too much this turn and continues to be on the edge of main axis of advance. My 105 spotter only manages to get in his spotting round: no FFE. Right - end of 13

[ November 22, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Brent Pollock ]

Turn 14 Orders:

More reinforcements! I’ve now got 16 AFVs, 2 x 105 FOs and 2 x 81 FOs: definitely time to hurt people.

Left:

The StuG III F8 and a Pz IVG are ordered to proceed at top speed toward the enemy rear area. The StuG IIIB and sIG 33 will drop the strongpoint while the infantry continues to sneak to the assembly points: there’s no rush as the AFVs/HMGs/FOs are all a few minutes out of position. From the looks of all the straggling enemy activity in my centre backfield, I doubt he’ll be sewering over to my left to try and snag the flag, so the right security platoon also starts to form up for the crossing. They try to suppress the guys near the endangered HMG team.

Centre:

Backfield will use AFV smoke support and weight of numbers to press through the straggler screen. Then the AFVs will move up post-haste to support the left flank. The factory dwellers continue as before: a bit of harassment on the left, probe in the middle and enfilading fire and probing on the right. Aiming to take out the ATG and HMG this turn. Also trying to suppress the guys pinning my Right Side.

Right:

Muddle through as best they can. I really don’t think I’ve got the strength to punch through here, but maybe they’ll get lucky. At least the mortars and their spotter seem to have been suppressed…or just run out of ammo. My Pz IV is now in a spot where it doesn’t really see much, but it can cover any closer approach by the AC or T34.

Result:

Man-o-man…I counted about 45 HE rounds out-bound from my 75 mm-toting AFVs that turn.

Left:

Yup – that bunker’d had enough: abandoned at the 30” mark. The hardpoint’s slated for demolition next turn as it’s “**”. The StuG and Pz IV seem to be rolling just in time as the Central scouts have spotted reinforcements. Form up is going fine now that the bunker and factoried MGs have been suppressed. That T34 did a bit of dancing but, fortunately, didn’t get into LOS of my Pz IV F1s while they were busy pounding the factory with area fire. Suppressive fire on the Russians getting up close and personal with that HMG team has paid off: the MG team has managed to get in a couple of right crosses and the intruders are crawling for it. Left - end of 14

Centre:

76 mm rain is still falling on the left rear of the factory and has dropped a tile (no one was under it) and pinned some stragglers in the factory, but all seems to be going well: the probe is proceeding and has spotted the first major wave of enemy reinforcements. And the Stuka, bless its heart, takes a strafing run over them. Might be time to have one of the mortar FOs drop a blind concentration back there. The ATG has been KO’d and the crew captured. On the right side, the enfilading platoon has placed the HMG team, light mortars and last ATG in peril…although I miscalculated and my Pz IV proceeded faster than I thought it would: it’s in LOS with its turret pointed the wrong way, so the first few seconds of next turn should be plenty exciting. The LOSs are getting tricky: got to watch out for squeeze shots past the factory corners. There’s so much going on in the centre now that I’ve had to do two screen shots, one for the front and back. The street sweepers are doing fine, especially with the smoke provided by the AFV support. Centre Front - end of 14

Centre Back - end of 14

Left:

Bloody little mortars immobilised one of my Pz IV F1s! And the 152 mm air freight keeps coming in, too. Another FT team and a platoon HQ get snuffed. The Pz IVG only has a turn or two of HE left, but the T34 seems to be moving up into potential LOS anyway. As to my 105 FO…okay…he called in a dozen rounds…where are they…oh CRAP, they’re coming in almost in the same place as the Russian 152 is hitting…it’s just not to be on that flank. Right - end of 14

-------------

Turn 15

Orders:

More reinforcements, including the Flak wagon…which means my AFVs are in for a rough ride soon from the air. Time to really start the push, before the reinforcements get into position: all four FOs are going to make do with their current position.

Left:

MTR FO calling in Smoke on the right hand hardpoint/T34: it’ll cover two platoons and the FT. The daring duo continue their push to the enemy rear flank. The sIG 33 will drop the building as the StuG switches to opportunity targets. Infantry to form up for launch next turn. The two Pz IV F1s will start to play chicken with the T34: one fires smoke and the other moves toward the factory. The two Pz IV Gs move up to take it from the other side…also watching out for backfield T34s and the bunker. There’s one helluva lot of dust around that end of the map from all the dropped buildings.

Centre:

Probing and enfilade continues…gotta watch for the tanks and infantry now, but one MTR FO will drop a harassing barrage back there….hope it’ll be on target. Tanks moving up to help and the sweepers should be through their blockages in a minute or two…hope to be into the factory in less than seven minutes.

Right:

Both 105 FOs are calling in fire on the factory. The Pz IV G targets the T34. Infantry keeps slogging their guts out. Flak wagon strays put and scans the skies. Infantry sweepers move up: going to be a tough flag, especially with that TRP squeezing the options.

[ November 23, 2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Brent Pollock ]

Results:

Left:

Dang – I thought for sure that one round from the sIG 33 would be enough to drop the building. The Pz IV and StuG scare the beejeesus out of the AC that was “guarding” the road. MG crews are crawling back into the factory and the smoke is poised to start dropping next turn…but it seems to be off target, according to the spotting round, which seems to have formed a smoke blossom on the other side of the factory…I think I’ll “play it where it lies: time to earn the danger pay. Left - end of 15

Centre:

Ugh – one the Pz IV G on the left flank gets shocked while the one on the right side escapes the ATG but takes a few too many in the side from one of the reinforcing T34s. And the probe forward is pretty much done as much as it can without decent AFV support now that the T34s are dishing out canister…and there goes my bunker-busting FT team. Hmmm…it also appears that Russian smoke is being placed on the riverside of the factory, although I don’t know if that is to cover an assault or just provide a screen for his reinforcements. Sweepers are coming, although I got sloppy and lost half a pionier squad. The Luftwaffe continues to strafe the Volga ex-boatmen. Centre front - 15 Centre Back - 15

Right:

The Pz IVG manages to ding the T34 a few times, including a turret penetration that makes it pull back. The infantry makes its slow way toward the factory and more of the 152 mm rains down. Sweepers are coming here too, boys – hang in. Right - 15

-------------

Turn 16

Orders:

What – no reinforcements this turn ;) ;

Left:

Deep pair of AFVs gets into position: they’d better hope there are no Russian infantry in that factory corner. That hard point better damned well go down this turn. The mortar smoke OBA won’t get corrected as it’ll probably be of use no matter where it drops, and the Pz IVF1s can toss a bit of the nebulous stuff on the right corner. Jump off is set for next turn after the smoke has had a chance to build.

Centre:

Got to pull back into shelter from that canister. Left corner is getting AFV support…and I think I forgot to give the newly arrived StuG IIIBs more marching orders….oops. Sweeping continues as does the right platoon’s enfilading move.

Right:

Not much change here either: press to the factory with whatever makes it and hope the 2 x 105 FOs do more damage to them than us.

[ November 30, 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Brent Pollock ]

Your advance in the center has gone extremely well and according to your plan so far. It will be interesting to hear your opponents comments about his plan and setup post-battle. Either he has pulled back to form a stronghold or there are heaps of guys in the sewers due to arrive on the scene any moment now. Having played as the Russians before you are no doubt aware of what he may be doing hehehe.

Brent, its a very clear and well written AAR, keep it up. Thanks.

Does your opponent make any comments during the exchange of PBEM files? It would be interesting to hear a few. I imagine the Russians are getting very worried at this stage ;)

Cheers

CDIC

I started this knowing that Steve was under no obligation to keep a similar log. If you want to extract info from him, you can reach him at:

steve@vance.org.

Turn 16 AAR and 17's orders should be posted before bed time tonight.

Originally posted by Capitalistdoginchina:

Your advance in the center has gone extremely well and according to your plan so far. It will be interesting to hear your opponents comments about his plan and setup post-battle. Either he has pulled back to form a stronghold or there are heaps of guys in the sewers due to arrive on the scene any moment now. Having played as the Russians before you are no doubt aware of what he may be doing hehehe.

Brent, its a very clear and well written AAR, keep it up. Thanks.

Does your opponent make any comments during the exchange of PBEM files? It would be interesting to hear a few. I imagine the Russians are getting very worried at this stage ;)

Cheers

CDIC

[screenies still delayed due to freehost site server upgrade]

Results:

Left:

Okay, I’m going to have to have a word with the deep left duo. That Pz IVG had a Seek Hull Down command but didn’t seem to budge much: after the end turn I’ll have to check its command lines and LOS. The StuG IIIF8 also did a weird dance. They both let a T34 roll up the street unopposed so now if they are going to get into a firing position, the T34 might get off the first shot. The sIG 33 demolishes the hardpoint and KOs a MTR in the process. The 81 mm smoke OBA actually ends up bang on target: jump off next turn for sure, with three platoons trying to head for the right corner of the opposing factory; where LOS permits, MG half squads will lay down suppressing fire while the assault HS partners advances through the valley of death. Turns out these was a Russkie in the upper level of right side hardpoint: hope it’s a sniper as my Pz IVF1 is right underneath, just waiting for a Molotov bath. Left - 16

Centre:

Harassing 81 mm OBA due in a minute or so. My river-most team might get lucky take out a T34 next turn with its grenade bundle (15 m target line). The left side platoon wipes out a Russian squad in the dusty rubble. The right hand enfilading platoon overruns the Maxim and Ampulomet and is on the verge of waxing the ATG. But it is starting to run low on ammo: definitely going to rely on the sweepers to carry through with AFV support. The sweepers have almost finished with their task: three Russian units surrender this turn and two units get wiped out, including a HQ while the other HQ is on the run after receiving a hosing from the FT team I forgot I had [folks, there’s a damn lot of units to track in this one]; he managed to set fire to the building and the adjoining rubble. One AT team gets gunned down in the street while another makes it across and causes havoc. Known resistance in the pocket is now two pinned units that are facing two platoons. Centre Front - 16

Right:

Things are going about as well as can be expected, given the mauling the pioniere have taken. The Stuka tries to help out by strafing the AC. The supporting Pz IVG is now out of HE: it has become a “JgPz IVG”, I suppose. The first 105 battery should be out of ammo next turn while the second one’ll kick in a couple of minutes. Those two reinforcing platoons are going to have to do must of the factory clearing.

-------------

Turn 17

Orders:

What – still no reinforcements this turn ;) ;

Left:

As described above: advance to the factory with smoke and LMG section covering fire. The Deep Duo will creep up to the lip to try their luck against the T-34. One of the Pz IVGs on the border between Left and Centre will try to make a run right down to the ferry landing. The bunker is going down as is the infantry beside it. I also want that unit hovering over my Pz IVF1 nixed.

Centre:

Fall back to the factory and wait for relief. The right hand platoon has one task left: take out that ATG. Sweepers coming and the StuG IIIB trio will head over to the right corner.

Right:

Same as before, except the HE-less Pz IVG will fire at the AC then back out and try to get into the fray so it can go tank hunting. AAHT stays in position for maximum AA covering fire.

[ November 29, 2003, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Brent Pollock ]

[screenies still delayed due to freehost site server weirdness]

Results:

Wow – 2.4 MB: that’s a whole lot of ballistics calculations. Lot’s to watch this turn and a visual stunner so I spent quite a bit of time down at View Level 1.

Left:

That Hull Down command really doesn’t seem to work from that little road depression on the left rear corner. I seem to have found an infantry-less spot though, as both AFVs were unbuttoned the whole time with out getting shocked. That’s let the T-34 creep even closer, although right at turn’s end it ended up mutually red-lined with the StuG IIIF. The infantry advance is going well although the sIG seems to be suppressing my own guys with that excessive blast. he left side made good progress despite the lack of smoke. The right side is unscathed…so far…and should be in the factory next turn…I’d better check to se that they arrive in one bloc rather than trickling in. I’m getting out of the factory just in time as more 152 mm arrives in the same old spot right at turn’s end. The unit near my Pz IV F1 turned out to be a 76 mm HE spotter, who probably used up all his ammo ages ago. Watching the AC bomb around the battlefield looking for a safe haven was quite amusing: I think this turn I’ll have to have the StuG terminate it.

Centre:

Yahoo! Score one for the AT grenade bundle. The Rivermost halfsquad bags a T34…but then goes down under a platoon’s worth of return fire [sniff…died like heroes…etc.].

The Bunker finally gets KO’d by point blank 75 mm HE and an accompanying ATR team also expires. My intrepid Pz IVG is probably going to get whacked by a KV-1S early next turn as it got distracted by an infantry unit as it rounded a corner [what’s all this I hear about a Cover Armor command redface.gif ]. My boys are all getting tired and low on ammo: couldn’t even take out the ATG this turn…and it seems to be behaving quite fanatically. Air power does another fine job of strafing the Volga Boatmen but the T34s are now moving to the front on both sides of the factory. The backfield seems completely swept now except for that lone HQ that is still one the run. Boneheaded part of the move: I forgot to have two HMG teams cancel their area fire commands and I ended up suppressing my own sweepers and wasting ammo.

Right:

Oh gad – more 152 mm HE…and the Pz IV never locks onto the AC. Other than that, things are creeping along. My flakwagon still hasn’t spotted anything worth firing at.

[ November 28, 2003, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Brent Pollock ]

(still have to wait a bit for screenies ...maybe they'll have their act together tomorrow)

Results:

Now, that’s more like my normal sort of ineptitude: I lost six AFVs to his three that turn, and one of his was just a T70. At least I’ve popped open that corner so I can send a couple turreted AFVs marauding on to the ferry landing. If anyone wants the movie of this one, I’ll send it on with the password…it’s worth watching just for the armoured car getting pushed into the rubble by the sIG 33 and one of the light mortar crewman getting massacred at the time of surrender.

Left:

As pretty much expected, the infantry got pinned and hurt as soon as they set foot in the factory: I didn’t send enough supporting fire and didn’t drop any of the edge tiles prior to them going in. For some reason, the AC was left alive, even though it actually bumped into the Pz IV F1…maybe the crew didn’t want to risk secondary damage due to target proximity. I’m eager to see if it can move now that it’s been pushed into a rubble tile :eek: . Another oddity this turn: the first time I’ve seen a captured unit take a massacre casualty…granted, it was inflicted mere seconds of being captured. A fine disaster, losing five AFVs in one city block.

Centre:

Hey – the Stuka seems to have strafed the Russian AA gun into oblivion! My enfilading platoon managed a “Hit” on the T34 but it didn’t have any obvious effect as it continued to gun down a halfsquad from the probe force. Sweepers are coming in strength and the StuG IIIB trio is up to help.

Right:

Those poor, poor buggers…I think the FO that was supposed to be calling a blind mission near the ferry landing has managed to drop a good many rounds into the guys headed for the factory…I really don’t think I have a chance over there.

-------------

Turn 19

Orders:

Okay, by my count it’s:

my 9 functional AFVs

1 immobilised F1

1 gun damaged F1

against 5 or 6 T34s and a KV-1S

Left:

If the boys don’t get in this turn, I think I’ll just haul them back to the start line so they can at least beat back any counter attack. The Pz IVG F1 get orders to maraud through to the ferry docks, hoping for infantry & flank and side armour targets. The sIG 33 will blast the left side of the factory.

Centre:

Damnation… forgot to give the StuG trio orders again! Factory boys hunker down and await the support troops. If I get lucky and start bagging Russian armour, I might have the strength to push for the HQ Bunker flags.

Right:

What

a

mess…

[ November 28, 2003, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Brent Pollock ]

[still having problems with the freepic host]

Results for turns 19-22

What can I say: the CMAK demo’s been distracting me from my AAR. The synopsis for turns 19-22: a bloody disaster. My AFV force has been reduced to:

1 x Pz IVG

1 x sIG 33 (which somehow survived a bomb run from Frontal Aviation)

3 x StuG IIIE

2 x Pz IV F1 (gun damaged)

1 x Pz IV F1 (immob)

The one that hurt the most was losing the Pz IVG in the marauders: it targetted a T34 through two tiles of rubble and a pair of corner-joined buildings! We’re still not certain how that LOS even existed. Anyway, all that happened was that the T34 sat there blithely as the Pz IVG pounded away at the masonry: the hit spots were so high it looked to me like they were trying to lob the shells over the building. While they did this, one of the T34s they’d been trying to get behind got into LOS: the Pz IV lost the duel, as its first shot was a null Gun Hit and a half-second later the T34 turned it into a flame-broiler. It then proceeded to pummel the Pz IVF1 “wing”man. I’ve got nothing on the left side of the map except the sIG 33 and the two gun-damaged Pz IVF1s. And the infantry attack is a shambles…looks like about two-thirds casualties. The centre is now endangered because a T34 has moved into position to enfilade the rear approach to the factory. The right side is also a shambles, aided by the 105 FO that directed most of his mission off-target.

Looking very grim: I’ll be ecstatic with a draw.

Turn 23 results & 24 orders:

Left:

Amazingly, the stricken Pz IVF1 managed to lay down enough smoke to live and recover form Shock. The sIG 33 once again was missed by aircraft fire. I’ve ordered the survivours from the assault to pull back to the original factory. The marauding T34 shrugged off its second grenade Hit. Battalion mortar FO smoke is due in a few seconds.

Centre:

Sweepers still held up by enfilading fire from that T34. The StuG IIIE trio is dishing HE and amazingly, I finally guess correctly and my Pz IVG scoots in and whacks a T34 in the side that was cruising towards my StuG IIIE platoon: now to see if they survive to pull back away from the Russian infantry.

Right:

Grind, grind, grind. Just trying to wait for the boys to rally and have another go at it.

Turn 24 Results:

Left:

The headlong withdrawal has begun. The sIG 33 somehow avoids damage from the strafing run again. And no more AFV casualties are incurred.

Centre:

The T34 causes some consternation until the smoke blanket develops. One of the StuG IIIEs has a T34 flank lined up: hope it works. A ME-109 gets a top hit on a T70: Death Clock ticking? Consolidation continues.

Right:

Agh! My Flakwagon got knocked out and I didn’t even notice! 76 mm OBA is falling on the TRP and a corner of the factory gets dropped by the StuG. Come one boys: rally for one last push!

Turn 25

Orders

Left:

Run for it! I estimate I’ve got one-third infantry strength IF I’M LUCKY…probably more like ¼ to 1/5. AFVs start to pull back to cover a Russian rush to take the flag…not that my sIG 33 will be much use as it has 1 x H 1 x C 1 x S.

Centre:

Sure hope that StuG IIIE can KO the T34 from the side. The Pz IVG moves up to try and greet the KV-1S that’s moving over. Sweepers are about one-third in position: hope the smoke helps.

Right:

Ugh….