.50 vs armour and HTs

Gentlemen,

What's the bigger momma you have nailed by using a .50? At what range? What about HT and ACs? Should they fear? Your experience is welcome.

TIA

coralsaw

ps. Pointers on previous threads (effective range, mm thickness) are appreciated, as the forum search crawls (BTW why? that was one of the best things so far...)

I recently played a scenario where my .50 cal achieved plunging fire into the rear of Marder at around 700 meters. Perhaps I got a hit on the engine deck or sprayed the open top crew compartment, forcing the vehicle to be abandoned.

[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: Keith ]

Yes. those .50 cal HMG's are the reason I prefer the Yanks when I play the Allies. It is ALMOST a good equalizer to all damn fausts those German infantry squads are ALWAYS packing.

The British have rock solid tanks, but the .50 cal is REALLY a HUGE bonus for the Yanks because it can make short work of Axis HT's and some light skinned AFV's with flank shot.

The best kill I ever had was a Marder at 600-700 meters.

If you get three or Four HT's with .50 cal HMGs lined up in GOOD crossfiring positions they can really scare the heck out any advancing german infantry. In One game (Foggy Bottom I think) I had four .50 cal HT.s in Defensive positions in the fog and my opponent slowly advanced 2 platoons of some kind of infantry in the open in the fog into the range of these 4 HT's those .50 cal ALL opened up and stopped them COLD!. They were all routed, broken, paniced or eliminated inside of two minutes.

Praise to the Ma Deuce!

-tom w

[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

My best .50cal kill was a frontal shot on a Lynx at 450meters.

The Yanks have a nice advantage over the Germans in that some Yank transport HTs and all their armored cars have .50cals, but none of the german ones do...though the german 20mm vehicles evens it out a bit.