How to move immobilized tanks (huge pics inside)

Spoiler! Only for people who played "Hotton Belgium" battle.

I just downloaded an excellent scenario and I'll say that it's the best scenario I've ever seen.

The scenario had the Shermans 75 and Shermans 76.

The 76s always got bogged in and finally immobile.

But, I had a solution: I used the 75s to push the tungstennable 76 to the needed location.

Here are the screens of my "Adventures":

"Eureka!"

Two_Tanks_Before.jpg

(notice where the wall is)

76mm HE hurts smile.gif

Two_Tanks_Shoot.jpg

(the wall is closer)

Who said tanks can't be located in rough?

Two_Tanks_Done.jpg

(the wall is way behind)

Well, there is a way out of every situation.

As you can see moving an immobilized vehicle is possible with a little free time and a tank with equal or greater horsepower.

But the question is: Is it possible to damage an enemy vehicle by running into it, and if yes, will it be in CMBB?

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Kirill S. ]

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Kirill S. ]

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Kirill S. ]</p>

In the very same scenario I had Panzer IVG attack M3A1 Scout car - it happened so that tank was moving FAST and missed his first shot, so he basically keept on going and moved scout car some 5 meters before killing it with another shot. In real life that car would be dead from collision.

In eastern front damaged russian tanks _on_occasion_ would ram enemy tanks to damage or destroy them. While the chance of such an event is rare in CM, it would be nice if enemy vehicle (at least soft one) would be destroyed when enemy tank rams it.

Just a thought smile.gif

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: dima ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dima:

In eastern front damaged russian tanks _on_occasion_ would ram enemy tanks to damage or destroy them. <hr></blockquote>

Actually, it wasn't such a rare occurence. Over a hundred cases were recorded, and many many more went unrecorded due to the moving front. The majority of such cases happent early in the war IIRC, when the Germans were winning and the Russians were desperate and short of supplies.

In any case, it cannot be modeled due to the physics model in the current CM engine. It might go into consideration for the engine rewrite however.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>In any case, it cannot be modeled due to the physics model in the current CM engine. It might go into consideration for the engine rewrite however.

<hr></blockquote>

I didn't really mean for a tank to have an order such as "Drive over Him". But a mere

if (collision with vehicle && itIsFriendly) then moveItOutOfTheWay();

if (collision with vehicle && itIsEnemy)

then makeItBlowUp();

This isn't a showstopper but only a nice touch. Like in that russian anekdote "Minor feature, but pleasant"

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: dima ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dima:

I didn't really mean for a tank to have an order such as "Drive over Him". But a mere

if (collision with vehicle && itIsFriendly) then moveItOutOfTheWay();

if (collision with vehicle && itIsEnemy)

then makeItBlowUp();

This isn't a showstopper but only a nice touch. Like in that russian anekdote "Minor feature, but pleasant"

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: dima ]<hr></blockquote>

I would add to that code;

if (collision with vehicle.smallerthanme && itisEnemy && TheyAreScreaming) then

Do Until ScreamingStops

BackupAndCrunchItAgain();

Loop

Else

BlowItUpRealGood();

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Commander:

I would add to that code;

if (collision with vehicle.smallerthanme && itisEnemy && TheyAreScreaming) then

Do Until ScreamingStops

BackupAndCrunchItAgain();

Loop

Else

BlowItUpRealGood();<hr></blockquote>

LOL! I think that's the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum. What is that, a combination of C++ and Apple Basic? :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

LOL! I think that's the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum. What is that, a combination of C++ and Apple Basic? :D <hr></blockquote>

Looks kind of like the code from my graphing calculator. What is that language they use anyways? Basic?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

LOL! I think that's the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum. What is that, a combination of C++ and Apple Basic? :D <hr></blockquote>

No apple basic is far harder to read then that... :D

Actually you can dislodge enemy tanks. This happened to me one time:

Night scenario, an enemy M8 scout car is heard on a road, coming for my forces. I set up a road block consisting of a Stug and a Halftrack, further down the road stands a second Stug, miscacellous infantry along the side of the road.

M8 comes barreling down the road. The Stug misses its shot, and M8 somehow manages to drive between the Stug and the Halftrack. Shoots the Stug in the back, defilades the Halftrack ,and races on, killing infantry left and right.

M8 sees the second Stug to late, and runs straight into it. In closeup the barrel of the Stug sticks straigt through the M8. M8 bounces back, as does the Stug. M8 races forward again, and hits Stug again, both bounce back. The Stug is pushed into the rough on the side of the road, and is immobilized. The M8 runs around it and disappears into the night, non the worse for it's adventures.

My opponent was rolling over the floor laughing, I was a bit pissed of....

Bertram