New scenario released

'The Dirt Road' - of special interest for early war fanboys.

Here is the general briefing:

Title: The Dirt Road

Type: German attack

Date: June, 1941

Region: AG Centre

Weather: Clear

Terrain: rural/village

Length: 37 Turns

Background:

The monumental events that unfolded in June 1941 would, 4 years later, see a victorious Red Army raise the Hammer and Sickle over the Reichstag. But in the hot summer days of late June 1941, few would have expected this.

While the German Panzers raced east for the bridges over the rivers Dvina, Bug, and many others, it was left to the poor bloody infantry to 'mop up' the pockets of resistance they left behind them. While this job was not going to get them into the headlines of the world press, it was necessary to do it, and to do it well. It was no less dangerous than to be at the spearhead. Well led, the Russian soldier fought tenaciously. This came as a bad surprise to the German veterans of campaigns in Poland and the West.

Computer player to stick to scenario default.

Semi-Historical: designed for 1 player as German against the AI, TCP/IP.

Play recommendation for TCP: More experienced player to take the Germans

Author: Andreas 'Germanboy' Biermann

Playtesting by: Scott Boston, Lindan, Justin Claxton, Tim 'Rune' Orosz, Kip Anderson

Review scenarios at the Scenario Depot!

http://ns9.super-hosts.com/~dragonlair.net/combatmission/

Download it here.

I'll submit it to the Depot when the Depot is up again, seems down at the moment.

spoilers.

against the ai, i used a wide flanking move on the right side. basically one company crossed the road under the 81mm FO smoke screen while the other company and some attached 50mm mortars and MG34s stood overwatch.

the key overwatch position was a platoon, 3 mortars, and 3 MG34s in the E-W running treeline there north of the south wheatfields and where the treeline ended at the road. the platoon, mortars, and MGs laid down supporting fire from there while the manuever company crossed, turned, formed up in a northerly moving E-W picket and moved up through the far wheatfields

2 platoons of the supporting fire company made more of a center push, providing cover fire from some tall pines and brush.

no major push was ever made the center. the moves there were basically to get into position to provied overwatch fire for the attack.

the main push was on the far side of the road.

the 37mm guns set up in the trees toward the left. 3 50mm mortars and an MG34 joined them there... the mortars turned out to be fairly useless as when the firefight got going they were out of range of the in-town defensive positions.

all of the FOs and a company HQ moved into a stand of tall pines atop a hill just outside of the setup zone. from there the 81mm dropped its smoke in support of the road crossing, then when the town was under assault the 75mm FOs dumped everything on the t-34 they spotted there...

it appears as though the offboard 75mm did something to silence the t-34... probably gun damage.

on the last turn of the game a tank hunter team moved up along the road and took out that tank with a mine.

2 platoons of the company in the manuever wing were in the woods around the first small flag, and a squad ran forward to try and take the large flag but it failed.

my forces inflicted more casualties - about a 2:1 ratio - but i got a minor defeat on the basis of not controlling any of the flags... just the one small one was contested...

given the long route i took in the advance, i could have used about 10 more turns.

the thing which struck me the most about this scenario was the german infantry squads. with four squads in a platoon you can set up an overwatch position and effectively have 4 lmgs with 50 ammo apiece. at over 350 meters these squads are putting out more than 40 firepower.

having previously played mostly with recon, pioneers, and panzergrenadiers, the 50 ammo default on a plain infantry squad is impressive as are the 4 squads per platoon. the amount of overwatch suppression provided by these squads/platoons alone was awesome.

it was a lot of fun putting down withering fire from overwatch while the manuever element closed with the enemy....

end spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

The beauty about the internet is that even total morons are allowed to use it. Gives rise to a bitter laugh every so often.

Some twit who was too cowardly to even sign his real name decided to put a bunch of spoilers in the scenario review of 'The dirt road' (partially wrong), so best don't read the reviews if you have not played it yet. He gave it a 2.5, which encouraged the next person to give it a straight 10. Either of these scores is underserved, IMO. Should be 15.

I asked the Admiral to edit out the spoilers, and leave the review as a monument to idiocy. As if one needed reminders.

Just had fun playing this one.

Here's to "anonymous" (cheers) because I probably wouldn't have downloaded this map without his crackpot review. tongue.gif

SPOILERS:::

I got a minor defeat... about 45/55 score. Took the top most minor flag and delt some good casualties but still too many letters to write to the families back home. I must have hit the "ceasefire" button with a stray click... (#$@!)... somewhere around turn 32/33. I was clearing through the village and desperately wanted to destroy those tanks. Most likely would not have captured another flag though. AI kept throwing bodies in my path and had just enough fire power to prevent my from making a "gamey" last turn dive for the large flag.

Unfortunately, I could have used my artillery a little better and I got caught cold running out of the woods on the left flank.

On the right, I took my company through the fields and crossed the road in a mad dash and got 80% across with very minor casualties. This group eventualy took the top hill without too much difficulty and poured fire down on the Russian positions. Took my time in order not to rag out my men because I knew I would have to eventually get out of the wheat fast and under fire.

Other fun was advancing one of my 37mm AT's to a small rise and pinging the hell out of the T-34 on the right side. Discovered the crew was "conscript" and I was positive that if I just pinged them enough times they would abandon the tank. I hit them with what seemed like every shot and they never budged. Not even gun damage.

Overall, I felt nearly invulnerable for a while because those green troops couldn't shot straight. Only took serious casualties in the close in fighting.

Great battle. tried it the first time and got a minor victory but it was quite bloody. I attacked from 2 fronts getting 2 platoons into the town under a smoke barrage while a company approached the hill on the right side of the town after crossing the road.

I left my 50mm and mg squads by the road looking into town and was able to provide adequate suppression fire against the reds on that side of the town.

The 2 platoons that made it into town came under incredible amounts of fire it seemed as it seemed to draw fire from every possible angle. By the end of the game I had about 65% losses in those 2 squads but they occupied the defenders to make the advancement of the other company easier. If I hadn't runned out of time I'm sure I would have captured the other 2 flags and destroy the remaining Russians.

Very challenging and well thought out.

All best

Patrick