Your opinions please... Scenario Sites

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

I'm looking for a home for some of the Scenarios I have created, and wanted to get people's opinions about the various sites out there. I should add, that I hate the CMHQ Scenario Depot, so will probably not be using that one. Thanks in advance.

If you have any scenarios featuring Canadian units you're invited to send them to me - I only have two scenarios on my site, so I can't guarantee you a lot of traffic, but I wouldn't be averse to you sending them to other sites as well.

Canadian CMHQ seems not to have been updated since December. I talked to the keepers of the site briefly in December or early January but haven't heard back - I had a lot of stuff I was willing to give them to put on their site but they must have other priorities right now. That being the case I went ahead and started my own.

The scenario depot at CMHQ is working a lot better than it used to - the server seems to have improved a lot. I haven't tried any other "scenario sites" since I haven't even played the ones on the CM CD yet - been playing mostly quick battles and designing my own.

Just like mods, there are so many talented scenario designers out there, and so many places hosting them, it gets hard to see the forest for the trees.

Anyway, this is an open invitation to all scenario designers dealing with Canadian units - I'd love to host your stuff, and you wouldn't be restricted to just having them on my site but should feel free to submit elsewhere in addition.

I'm hoping to add some more of my own scenarios soon - historical ones featuring Canadians and possibly some SL conversions, once the dust has settled on that issue. I'm currently testing an excellent scenario by email that I hope I'll be permitted to host, regarding the North Novies in Normandy.

------------------

http://wargames.freehosting.net/cmbits.htm

I second (or third) the vote for Manx's site. It loads quick and I really like the way he has presented the scenarios.

I have submitted my first (Fertile Ground) to him just today after d/loading a bunch.

BTW, Berli, since I was gone I never got any feedback on you playtesting of my second and third attempts, "Nightmare Ridge" and "Indian Fighting". Any comments on those?

I'm in the middle of creating a site to host my own maps and screenshots, but I'd be glad to host scenarios if anyone wants to send them.

While on the subject, what do you look for in a good CM-related site? What do you now want to see?

IMO there's now no really good scen site...due to the demise of ASL2CM.

This one had lot of stuff, sorted by theater/date, with briefings and screens...Ahhh it was so nice *sigh*

Else the most complete is surely the Depot, but I hate it too : everything is just stacked here as in a dump, can't have any overviews, search criteria are useless/don't work, ... Sorry Matt but the software used is sort of crap !

Surely the best compromise is CombatMission : it has a good deal of scens and clean presentation, I don't like much the "one big list" but can live with it..

I agree totally about the "long list" problem on COMBAT MISSIONS. Same goes with the Mods page. I will be looking into categorizing the downloads shortly. I hate scrolling just as much as the next man (or woman).

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - Resources For Combat Mission

[This message has been edited by Manx (edited 02-14-2001).]