Operations balance, div, reg, battalion reserves

I've been working on a Recon(light armor) 2-player Operation/ME and I'm having problems getting it balanced. One issue, that isn't going away is that bad weather tilts towards the Soviets and clear weather gives the Axis the advantage. I don't see a way around this and since weather is random it can't be controlled.

I'm using the division, regiment and battalion reserves to add in forces if one side is getting hammered. Question, how does the commitment of reserves affect the final victory level (or does it even effect the victory level)?

[ May 05, 2003, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: xerxes ]

Using the same equipment is a little artificial for my tastes. The other issue is that a T34 and a captured T34 are not actually the same. The better German shells make the "german" T34 more effective. That's true for all the captured tanks I believe.

When I want balanced armor platoons I setup a quick platoon on platoon shootout and run it a bunch of times at the likely engagement range for the scenario. It's not perfect and doesn't take all factors into account, but it gives at least a reasonable determination of parity for armor on armor dueling. That's what I did for my Recon! tournament scenarios (light tanks only) and it certainly helped me avoid some very unbalanced armor matchups. Even among light tanks there are "uber" light tanks that can absolutely rule the recon battlefield.