Arty Targeting Question

Okay, maybe I'm just not doing this right...or maybe there is a problem here.

Let's say you have an off-board arty spotter that is under command from a HQ unit and you want to use the HQ unit to target your area fire because it has LOS while the spotter is hidden and doesn't.

If the spotter was on-board, you would know what you could target using the HQ unit because the area fire line would only "stick" when you were targetting something your HQ unit could actually see.

But, if you are firing with a spotter, the area fire line will "stick" whether or not your HQ can actually see the target or not. In other words, when targeting with the spotter, you will always have an area fire line and never know whether you are firing to an area your HQ can see or whether your spotter is guessing and area firing something the HQ cannot see. Either way the area fire line "sticks."

The problem with targeting something, say a bunch of woods, with the spotter and not seeing what you're targeting through the HQ, the fire mission won't be nearly as accurate as if your HQ was doing the spotting and could see the area fire your spotter was targeting. Capiche? Does everybody understand what I'm talking about here?

So is there a way to find out if you are indeed using the HQ unit to spot or if your spotter is just guessing where to place the arty?

I am pretty sure it doesn't work that way at all.

HQ units can spot for on board mortars, but all off-board artillary is spotted for by the spotters themselves. All HQ units do for arty spotters is reduce their delay time (if the HQ unit has a command bonus).

If an arty spotter can see the place that is being targeted he will have a blue line (or green for retargeting) or a black line if he cannot see the spot. Either way, he can target arty at the point, the difference is how fast it will arrive (and will be subject to HQ bonuses as above).

Now here is a free tip. Remeber that you can have your spotter target an area that he CAN see and have the shells arrive there quickly then "walk" them by retargeting to a location your spotter CANNOT see often quicker than the shells would arrive by targeting the unseen target location first.