Pop Guns and Elephant

I'm playing the above mentioned mission as the Russians. In case you're not familiar with it, I have this horde of infantry on skis supported by a few heavy tanks, and they have to cross this WIIIDE expanse of open, deep snow to get to a German-occupied hamlet. I have two basic problems:

1.-How do I properly use skis? I notice that whatever order I give, the troops remove the skis almost immediately when fired upon. With some orders as advance, they remove them immediately no matter what. So what're they good for?

2.-I can't get my infantry anywhere. As soon as they hear a shot everyone hits the ground and sneaks back to cover, getting exhausted in the process. Even those few that half-heartedly try to carry out my orders and move forward, get exhausted after about 25 meters. Note: I have all the downloads, which are supposed to address the problems of excessive cowardice and excessive exhaustion... Frustrating. :mad: